Defining Torque Requirement for Screwing Power Module onto Heatsink

Q

QEngr22

Hi All,

I am currently working on defining the appropriate torque needed to fasten a power module (PM) onto a heatsink using a thread forming screw (for PCB assembly). I've check the PM datasheet and it indicates that I need 0.7 Nm of mounting torque.

We also conducted a study which showed that we needed 0.6 Nm of torque to thread the pilot holes of the heatsink.

My question is... do i need to add those two values to get the required torque (0.7 Nm + 0.6 Nm = 1.3 Nm)? Or since the screw will act on the PM and heatsink at the same time, do I only need to consider the highest value of the two (0.7 Nm)?

My own understanding is that 0.7 Nm should be enough since it can thread the holes of the heatsink and once the screw head reaches the PM, continuing to turn the screw would deliver enough torque to mount/seat it.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks!

S

Sturmkind

Hi, QC!

Generally fastener suppliers run the joint to destruction to get a full analysis of thread and component joint interaction and then provide an operational tolerance based on the resulting curve(s). The 2 values are not additive. The original fastener company (not distributor) may either provide this service or suggest an operating range based upon similar known product.

Top Bottom