Defining your Scope of Approval - AS 9100 7.4.1(a)

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
I was wondering what everyone does to define the scope of approval. As examples, do you have commodity codes to identify what a supplier is approved to supply or do you use descriptions such as hardware, sheet metal, fabrication, plating, etc. How many different ways are possible to do this? I'd like to here from those who have implemented this or have knowledge of actual systems in use.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: AS 9100 7.4.1(a) Scope of Approval

There are many ways of doing this. Just to offer an example, in (broken link removed), you have access to a very small subset of Boeing MESA IDS ASL. They list the approval per P/N with description. While I would not expect that to be the case for everybody, the intent is to clearly define the type of product/service the suppliers have been qualified for.

J

Jeff Frost

Al,

My two cents on the issue is to have a scope of approval that is either a narrative description or a code. It is very important, however, to have as part of the scope the extent or limitations on what the supplier can or can’t provide or perform.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

There are many ways of doing this. Just to offer an example, in (broken link removed), you have access to a very small subset of Boeing MESA IDS ASL. They list the approval per P/N with description. While I would not expect that to be the case for everybody, the intent is to clearly define the type of product/service the suppliers have been qualified for.
This looks like a list of the parts purchased from each vendor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JSRDE

Starting to get Involved
I was wondering what everyone does to define the scope of approval. As examples, do you have commodity codes to identify what a supplier is approved to supply or do you use descriptions such as hardware, sheet metal, fabrication, plating, etc. How many different ways are possible to do this? I'd like to here from those who have implemented this or have knowledge of actual systems in use.

We just went through our surveillance audit this week and the auditor described the scope of the approval for us is "approved", "conditional", and "unapproved." So according to our auditor it has nothing to do with what they provide for us, but rather the status of their approval. Hope this doesn't confuse you. My understanding was the same as yours that it should include the descriptions of what they provide to us. Since this was our auditors interpretation that is the way that we have chosen to interpret this as well.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
We just went through our surveillance audit this week and the auditor described the scope of the approval for us is "approved", "conditional", and "unapproved." So according to our auditor it has nothing to do with what they provide for us, but rather the status of their approval. Hope this doesn't confuse you. My understanding was the same as yours that it should include the descriptions of what they provide to us. Since this was our auditors interpretation that is the way that we have chosen to interpret this as well.
What planet is he from? This is the problem with the whole system. You have these disparate interpretations from different auditors.

B

Bob the QE

I may not understand the post about the "approved, conditional and un-approved" because when we went through our AS9100 stage audit the auditor explained that these are the states of approval that they (the registrar) will put us in after our stage 2 audit. It had nothing to do with 7.4.1 (a). These are two different issues, our AVL list is simple and meets the requirement and all we do is list the product by importance (critical) and who and how we approved the supplier and when a review of their status is needed if not triggered by a performance metric.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone with this post.:notme:

Top Bottom