Definition of a controlled document --> is a form a controlled document

M

MareikeBausch

Hi everyone,
we are currently implementing a QMS according to ISO 9001.
I am working on a list of all the controlled documents.
Now my Questions:
1. What exactly is the definition of a controlled document?
2. Is an empty form, that provides a template for someting, a controlled document?
So for example: the non-conformance report that needs to be filled out?
or: the Audit Report that is filled out after an Audit.

I hope someone can help me with this.
Cheers!
Mareike

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi everyone,
we are currently implementing a QMS according to ISO 9001.
I am working on a list of all the controlled documents.
Now my Questions:
2. Is an empty form, that provides a template for someting, a controlled document?
So for example: the non-conformance report that needs to be filled out?
or: the Audit Report that is filled out after an Audit.

I hope someone can help me with this.
Cheers!
Mareike
Mareike,

Your blank forms are documents controlled to help ensure they collect the required data or records.

You may control blank forms by making sure that only approved forms are available for use as in electronic forms on screens linked to a database. Or you may uniquely identify a hardcopy form with its revision status so users can verify they are using the correct version of the blank form.

The data collected are then controlled as records so they are retrievable by authorized persons; otherwise known as filing and archiving. The form is designed so each record includes a unique identifier such as NCR 2015-001.

So, look for two controls: one for the control of blank forms (per 4.2.3) and the second for the control of data collected (per 4.2.4).

Watch out for the 2015 version of ISO 9001 where data become documented information. We all knew that information used to be meaningful data but ISO seems to be dropping the distinction between data and information.

John

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
When a document is approved for use, and it is the current and duly identified document...
2. Is an empty form, that provides a template for something, a controlled document?
If you decide to control it as above it is a controlled document.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Forms are most often controlled, but could be uncontrolled. For example, if your procedure says "...record data - you may use a form such as Form XX or similar" the form would not necessarily need to be controlled.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
As your company decides whether or not to control the form, the most pertinent consideration may well be the question:

"If someone wrote it on a blank napkin or the back of their latex glove instead...would it have a significant effect on anything?"

What's this nonsense about forms not being controlled? Seriously? You mean it's OK to allow anyone to write anything they want on any medium? I don't think so...

P

PaulJSmith

What's this nonsense about forms not being controlled? Seriously? You mean it's OK to allow anyone to write anything they want on any medium? I don't think so...
Interestingly, ISO 9001 does not prohibit this, even going so far as to note that "The documentation can be in any form or type of medium."

Is it acceptable to use a latex glove as a form? If it's allowed for in their procedures, then yes it is.

Is it a good idea? I believe it is not.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
I wonder if much of it comes down to an individual's mental image when the word "form" is used.

- To some, it may bring to mind a worksheet of critical data
- to others, it may be a simple tool to organize one's thoughts
- to yet others, it may be a useless piece of paper that someone else made up.

Some in my company use a template or "form" to collect viscosity data. It is later transferred to the mandatory "official" recording location.
Some bring the "official" record with them and record it directly.
Some write the result on the back of their glove and then transfer it to the proper location (thus the reference to latex)...45 years and never an issue.
I couldn't care less how the data gets from the viscometer to the official record. I care only that it is accurately recorded where it belongs before the words "I'm finished" are used.

The "Official" recording location is controlled.
The viscometer is calibrated.
There exists a template for recording from the viscometer that is optional...some call it a "form"...others call it useless and don't use it.
Darned if I'm gonna waste calories controlling what I call a template and others call a form.
Darned if I'm gonna waste calories correcting people for calling it a form.

Hopefully that explains a bit more of why my post above targeted "What is important" rather than control of forms...

Interestingly, ISO 9001 does not prohibit this, even going so far as to note that "The documentation can be in any form or type of medium."

Is it acceptable to use a latex glove as a form? If it's allowed for in their procedures, then yes it is.

Is it a good idea? I believe it is not.
You're missing the point, I think, Paul. It's NOT the medium used - you are correct - it's the control of forms. It's managements' way of doing things, not writing some bizarre methods down and then saying "have at it".

Even if it's "allowed in their procedures", it's NOT going to be effective, now, is it? This point is often overlooked - what's effective. Using "say what you do, do what you say" as a justification (following procedures) isn't (and hasn't been) appropriate since 2000.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Ninja,

In my experience:

We must use forms sparingly and when we do they must be well-designed to avoid time wasting.

Forms are data collection devices (part of a procedure which may or may not be documented)

Collect the wrong data and we waste time.

Collect incomplete sets of data and we waste time.

Data analysis results in meaningful data, more commonly called information.

We make decisions using information which we'd like to be reliable.

Therefore forms that collect data are controlled.

John

BTW, templates are more like formatting devices than data collection devices.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Definition Controlled Document Definition - What constitutes a controlled document? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
L Sanctioned Interpretations - GM Definition for 'Level II Controlled Shipping' QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Importer definition EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Help me improve the definition for internal PPM Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
D BS EN 62304 - Medical-Relevant Data C.5 - Definition of IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P Definition of production tooling in IATF16949 clause 8.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Sample size definition in an Automotive SMT pilot lot run Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
J Here is my definition of Defect Mapping Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Z Definitive definition of design? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Definition Key Supplier - Definition of Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
F MEDDEV 2.7/1 rev 4 and MDR - Definition of Description of Principles of operation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Definition of "servicing activities" - Spinal Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Custom made medical device MDD vs MDR definition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
C Function definition for DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
W Key functional characteristic definition - Tolerances and Deviations Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition Waiver - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
M Informational MHRA guidance – Assistive technology: definition and safe use Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Critical suppliers (Definition of) and MDSAP (Medical Device Single Audit Program) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
Pancho Definition Quality Assurance Program - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
U Hand-Held dosing device has no PATIENT - Interpretation of the PATIENT definition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
L Medical Device Accessory - Health Canada guidance / definition on what an accessory is Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
C MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Medical Device "Immediate Container" Interpretation of Definition US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Definition of Convenience Kit for a Combination Product US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Are Risks and Opportunities Required as Part of the Process Definition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Definition of "Sensitive Products" Clause 8.5.4 (c) in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Marc Definition Jidoka - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
J Definition of repackager v. manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S MDR Annex II Design & Manufacturing info - 'Adjuvants' definition EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Informational CFR 21 Definition for Data or Raw Data Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
I Lot or Batch definition for IVDs Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Mains outlet MSO definition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Mikishots Definition Defined - Definition and meaning of "defined" Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
D Definition User Needs - Concrete definition for "User Needs" as required by the FDA Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
L Process Definition and Process Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B MDD or MDR Definition of metabolic EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Definition Commercial Distribution - Definition - Scope of Commercial Distribution Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
P Definition Business Type - Definition of what we do-Business Type Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
E Brazil - RDC 183 - Finished device - Definition Question Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
B Warranty costs - What is your definition of a "warranty cost"? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
dgrainger Benefit - What is the definition of Benefit in ISO 14971? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7