Deletion of Posts

Have you had any problems posting? (Multiple Choice)

• Yes - Many times. Post doesn't show.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Many times. Duplicate post appears.

• Yes - Once. Duplicate post appeared.

• Yes - Once. Post didn't show.

• This has happened recently.

• Has been a regular problem.

• Happened more than 6 months ago.

• Total voters
E

energy

Has anyone experienced a deletion of a post that they submitted? Recently, there was report of a post being deleted without a reason. I have, on occasion, deleted a duplicate post and it just may have taken them both out. If so, please respond here. It's quite possible that if someone inadvertantly posts twice, it has to stay. I know I have done it, thinking that the first one didn't go.
;)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
If anyone posts and the post does not show up or 'disappears', please let us know. Atul and I can review the log files. Every thread and every post that is edited, moved, deleted or whatever is logged.

In addition, threads which are 'deleted' are really NOT deleted. The are marked 'hidden' so no one sees them, but they are still in the database and can be 'brought back'.

One comment, however. Many of you have probably seen thread titles change. I change many thread titles. Sometimes to correct misspellings, many times to make the title 'clearer' and thus index more correctly. But - even these changes are logged.

My concern is if you post something and the post 'disappears' it may indicate a database problem. I check it every couple of days and have seen no indication of a problem, but one never knows. I want to catch any database problems early so do let me know if you're having any problem.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
As an addendum: The logs are logs of what admins and moderators do. Users can only 'operate' on their own posts and as such there is no log of what an individual user does to their own posts.

The admin and moderator logs are for us here to see what each other is doing.

E

energy

Dial up impatience?

Marc said:
As an addendum: The logs are logs of what admins and moderators do. Users can only 'operate' on their own posts and as such there is no log of what an individual user does to their own posts.

The admin and moderator logs are for us here to see what each other is doing.
Every once in awhile, I get duplicate e-mails from people who, for some reason, don't feel the message went. I have done it here in the Cove before the Moderator thing and just went in and edited the repeat to nothing because I didn't have permission to delete a post. I would just show up as a line with no post. I have also seen others do it here, saying they don't know how it happened. So, in the future I would leave the duplicate to avoid the possibility of deleting both posts. Maybe it's a software thing. I would like to test it, but I'm not sure if deliberately posting the same thing twice would work. If nobody else has a problem with what appears to be a missing post, chalk it up to a glitch, or cockpit error from a pilot in training. :rolleyes: :truce:

Marc

Staff member
Admin
If you find such a duplicate please let me know before you do anything. That way I can take a look at it.

There is a 'flood check' feature which only allows a post every 60 seconds so clicking the button twice by mistake shouldn't cause this.

One of the things that can happen is someone clicks the submit/post button and the data doesn't 'make it' to the server. I have seen it now and again where my post didn't take, but I always know because there is no 'follow through'. That is, I don't get the next 'screen'. Usually if I do a traceroute I see a router between here and there screwing up. I rarely see this problem though.

I'm not convinced this is a significant problem because I've only seen it happen a couple times this year my self and because I would expect more people to be complaining.

I have on occasion managd to post duplicate posts, but that has imo been caused by my own eagerness. I simply pressed send again when nothing happened due to lag in the wires, and hey presto: Two identical posts.

It has never been a problem to delete just one of them and thereby correct the mistake.

/Claes

E

energy

Cuz you could

Claes Gefvenberg said:
I have on occasion managd to post duplicate posts, but that has imo been caused by my own eagerness. I simply pressed send again when nothing happened due to lag in the wires, and hey presto: Two identical posts.

It has never been a problem to delete just one of them and thereby correct the mistake.

/Claes
If I'm not mistaken, only Moderators can delete a post, anyway. Other members cannot, so they edit the duplicate down to nothing. I've seen that a few times. The more I thnk about it, the member who reported the missing post had a duplicate post and I attempted to remove one of them, but never checked to see if the other one stayed. Anyway, discussing it should eliminate the possibility of it happening again. Hey, affected member, Mea Culpa! :agree:

Marc

Staff member
Admin
When I changed over to this beta software I enabled all registered members to be able to delete their own posts. Unless it's the first post in a thread (the starting post). Deleting the first post in a thread deletes all posts within a thread and the thread it's self.

You weren't mistaken per se. I never 'advertised' the change.

Can you imagine the fun, errr..........I mean mess, if we were able to delete other's posts at will?

E

energy

It's tempting

db said:
Can you imagine the fun, errr..........I mean mess, if we were able to delete other's posts at will?
I think about that every time you post. And, I can! :p Paybacks are a what? :vfunny:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M GDPR - Data portability and Data Deletion EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P Deletion of whole or part of document vs. ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.3c ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Informational FDA Posts Information about Ethylene Oxide Sterilization and Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Marc Search for Posts - By specific User Name(s) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc Forums - "Watching" One or More Forums for New Threads and New Posts Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc New Posts and New Threads - Monitoring (aka "Watching") Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Marc Latest Posts in Right Sidebar on the Forum Listing Home Page Forum News and General Information 6
J Downloading and/or Viewing Files Attached to Posts Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Marc Plagiarism in Elsmar Cove Forum Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
Marc Searching Linkedin Posts - What am I missing? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
Miner New MSA Blog Posts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Marc Copyright - Including Copyrighted Material from other Websites or Sources in Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 12
Marc Jennifer Kirley - Over 4000 Posts! Covegratulations 26
S Congratulations to Jim Wynne for 10000 posts - 6 July 2010 Covegratulations 17
Marc Copyright - 'Ownership' of Post Content and Files Attached to Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 2
somashekar New year resolution 2010 .. "No posts deleted by moderators" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Stijloor Ford posts $997 million net Q3 profit, boosts cash World News 0
Sidney Vianna Thanks Given to Others in Forum Posts Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Stijloor Goldman Posts Profit and Will Raise $5 Billion World News 2
Marc The Controversial Topics forum - Keep forum or New posts to peoples blogs Forum News and General Information 9
Jim Wynne GM Posts $15.5 Billion Second-Quarter Loss World News 0
Marc Company Representatives - Posts by Company Representatives Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 13
A What bad grammar in posts annoys you most? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 101
W Copyright - Links in Posts Leading to Copyrighted Material on Other Web Sites Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 25
H Links in Posts - Post Counts and Active Links in Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 8
Marc Ford posts its worst loss in history World News 8
Marc Bloggers Must Disclose Sponsored Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 2
Ajit Basrur The number of ISO13485 posts in the Elsmar Cove forums ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
T Political Posts - Political Posts are NOT Allowed - A Brief Discussion Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 21
Marc What has the ASQ done for you? ('Positive' posts ONLY) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 16
Wes Bucey Attitudes and Intimidation in Elsmar Cove forum Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 62
RoxaneB Rules and Guidelines for Coffee Break Forum Threads and Posts Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 86
E Terminated - Job Seeking Advice and Discussion - Over 200 Posts with Advice Career and Occupation Discussions 204
E Civility in Forum Posts Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 94
Marc 100000 Posts and Whiskey Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7