SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Dell's Open PC Costs More Than Windows Box

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
From Slashdot:
"In this article at The Register, they show that Dell's Open PC costs more than a PC shipped with Windows XP. That's right, getting a PC with a blank hard drive costs more than the same hardware running Windows XP." From the article: "As it turns out, Dell's sales staffers have a secret web page for the product that you can't find with normal search tactics. A kind lass we'll call 'M' pointed us here. On this site, Dell presents a couple different versions of the mysterious E510n. The lowest-end system starts at $774 and is exactly like the boxes above - including the free flat panel - except it has 512MB of memory. For some reason, Dell told reporters that the box starts at $849 - yet another one of the odd sales tactics surrounding this "open source" kit. [Following the publication of our story, Dell raised the price of the PC back up to $849. See the sales pages below for the original $774 price comparisons.]"

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I get the idea that Dell is attempting to design classes of customers. It seems like Dell is punishing customers for desiring something non-Windows, asserting their right to alternative operating systems. Dell might explain that they have contracts with Microsoft, and perhaps that they need to ship X number of something to justify a certain price. I wouldn't be convinced with such a whiny tale, given that Dell's brand is in individually assembled PCs.

Amazon.com was once accused of charging more for the same products when they detected the customers had searched certain web sites for price comparisons. Amazon.com denied the practice, but people have provided convincing evidence of tiered pricing.

It is very disappointing (I marvel at the sense of denial, that this sort of practice would not be uncovered or talked about) and it stinks.

A

Al Dyer

Hi Jennifer,

Respectfully:

While I do believe that Dell has its own reasons for price structuring, that is their right, as is our right not to use their products and services.

Ahhh, Free Will--

I use Dell for the convenience but know its limitations. If I really wanted, I could buy the cheap box with windows loaded and buy a $100.00 internal drive then load what I wish. If a person has the knowledge to use alternate operating systems they also have the knowledge to work the system.

If we don't like something, find something else.

The wonders of our free market, free choice society are continually boundless, if we just used our grey cells.:mg:

Enjoy the day all,

Al...

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
I don't see the discussion as a matter of Dell's 'rights'. Of course they have the right. The point of the discussion, I believe, is they probably are losing customers and possibly threatening their business. Yes - I agree - Dell also has the 'right' to fail and go out of business.

A

Al Dyer

Thanks for the clarification Marc,

As my current spyware/virus program won't let me open the entire article I didn't read anything about losing customers in the above posts and I agree they have the "right" to go out of business, I hope they do so we can have more local stores to pump our money into. These huge corporations are a blight on society and I hope they go the way of the doo-doo bird. Dell does have questionable advertising and various price structures that are hard to uncover.

You can go to their site and find the same item at differing prices on the Small Business & Home sights. If your not carefull you can order a system and when received it does not come with the cables; sold seperately at an outrageous price.

Thanks for the link Marc, good stuff!

Al...:agree1:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
It may have been a different thread in which I mentioned a loss in customer loyalty. My letter to BusinessWeek's editor expressed it last month.

I asked my husband about it--he buys all the tech equipment for this area's newspaper. He said he'll stay with Dell, though he is also annoyed with their customer service slide, because it's a known quantity. He doesn't need their services except warranty returns, a system he is well familiar with and doesn't care to relearn in switching to HP.

But HP would be more than happy to take up slack that Dell creates for itself. I've read that HP is working on beefing up its customer services, and is offering custom computers just as Dell has so successfully done.

If HP can control their machines' quality in performance better than before, they can indeed take some of Dell's customers because Dell's machines have become more problematic in the past year or so.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stijloor Disabling trackstick on a Dell Latitude E6510 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
S Do you use a Dell printer? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 11
Marc Dell sues Tiger for reselling old boxes as new After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
M My DVD Disc Drive stopped working - Dell Latitude D630 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 14
Marc 'Shocking' Dell Notebooks! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
Marc Dell to Recall 4 Million Sony Lithium Ion Laptop Batteries World News 8
Jen Kirley Hanging Up On Dell? Gripes about tech support are on the rise After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
Jen Kirley Dell is recalling certain laptop power adapters After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
L Dell Phone Tools After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Marc Thinking of buying a Dell computer? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
D SINGLE FAULT CONDITION, short circuit and open circuit of any component (IEC 60601-1 3.1) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Definition Open Audit - What does an Open Audit mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
O Inventory control ideas - I have an open stock room with a "sign out" book Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
M Informational Paper on open access – EU postmarket surveillance plans for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
V Handling open points in design reviews 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Informational Medtech Europe – Open letter to the European Commission on the implementation and readiness status of the new Medical Device Regulation (MDR) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Can change control can be closed if the CAPA is still open? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
H Enclosed vs. Open-Frame Power Supplies - Overdoing it? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Q Open Medical Device Recall: Are there consequences? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
V Open vs Closed Systems - Criteria for Categorization in cGMP Environment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Richard Regalado BS 65000 - Guidance on Organizational Resilience is open for comments Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
S Already Existing Customer Open-PO (Purchase Order) Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Damage when Border Agents open Shipments Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
K Ideas for an Open Source Calibration Database Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
drgnrider Records control on a shared, open, network Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
D Open database for incidents and recalls of comparable medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 7
E Open Sourced Surgical Tray Sterilization Database and Software wanted Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
V How long can a development stage incident be open? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
W Supply Voltage Condition for Transformer O/L and S/C (open & short circuit) testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Question about GM special requirement - Open Major Nonconformances IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
AnaMariaVR2 How Open Innovation is Solving Some of NASA?s Trickiest Problems World News 0
V Alternative to Microsoft Office - Open Office vs. Google Docs After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 26
Richard Regalado DRAFT ISO/IEC 27001:201? ISMS Requirements (Open for Comments!) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
A Want to Know How to open a Certification Body in India ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
A PFMEA a 'Live' Document and should always have Open Actions FMEA and Control Plans 15
L Open letter to inform our Vendors we are setting up an Integrated (QHSE) System Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
J Can a Major Nonconformance be Open but 100% Resolved? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Open Source Software - OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
AnaMariaVR2 Linked Open Data The Reading Room 2
G What should be in the Quality Open Items Register Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Marc Google Wave going Open Source After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
D Legal complications when using open source, freeware, shareware, etc. IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
M Medical Device Testing Based in Manchester? Consultant to open Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Open CARs (Corrective Action Requests) and 8D Processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
W pH and Conductivity Open Bottle Shelf Life Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
Michael Malis For Internal Audit findings, would you open a CAPA for every observation? Internal Auditing 31
D Facebook - No one can open my pictures After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Pancho Open Space meetings -- another great tool for collaboration Imported Legacy Blogs 2
W Requirements for using Open Source Software in Medical Devices - IVD Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10