Delta FAIs on essentially unchanged drawings

M

msmith13

Hi all,

First, a thank you to all who contribute here and who have offered much expertise. I have learned much just from reading the forums here and have found all my questions answered by folks much wiser than me.

I have not, however, found the answer to this:

Our customer have changed several drawing numerous times mainly due to typos and other types of minor adjustments that make absolutely no change to the actual product being produced. However, because this rolls the revision, they are requiring an FAI. For now, we've been going through the motions and doing full FAIs each time - and to be honest, I don't know exactly how much (or how little) to include in the 9102 documentation for the Delta FAI. Do I need to complete all of Form 1 and Form 2 and then only the difference for Form 3?

What is the minimum required in a Delta FAI when there is no change to the product? If so, what information is required to be completed on the 9102 form?

Thanks again

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

AndrisSkulte

I would just supply a complete Form 1 with the "Reason for Partial FAI" box stating 'customer revised from RevA to C with no change to part/process'.

If the customer insists on a delta balloon drawing, then add in the Form 3 with just the changed characteristics.

I don't see a need for Form 2 if those requirements have not changed.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
When you write "because this rolls the revision, they are requiring an FAI." Is this written or verbal? Why not ask the MFWIC (Minor Functionary Who's In Charge) to explain how much you ACTUALLY need to supply since there is no physical change to the product [in your opinion.] (CAUTION: don't assume they don't need it and that it is just "busy work." ) Often, the customer has a lot of internal changes as a result of a revision change (even if it is ONLY fixing typos) including, but not limited to new inspection protocols, matching new drawing to submissions of products, etc. In point of fact, you have to expunge ALL obsolete drawings from YOUR system, replacing them with updated ones. Your in-house inspections should be to the new revision, inspection drawings, maybe even programming of machine vision, CMM, etc. may also have to be updated.

Without seeing and comparing previous to current drawings myself, I wouldn't hazard a guess that there isn't something significant for someone further along in the supply chain.

:topic:
Clever customers include a detailed explanation sheet with a revision change to flag anything important OR to assure suppliers the changes do NOT require a process change at the supplier. The idea is to remove the guessing and mind reading on the part of the supplier.

M

msmith13

Thanks for the advice. The funny part about this is we are essentially the design holders and they just copy (sometimes inaccurately) our drawings.

I think at the end of the day, I'll just have to see what their people will be OK with when it comes to the next change. Either way there is a lot of paperwork, but we've got to do it. The guidance on issuing a Delta FAI is certainly helpful, though.

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would just supply a complete Form 1 with the "Reason for Partial FAI" box stating 'customer revised from RevA to C with no change to part/process'.

If the customer insists on a delta balloon drawing, then add in the Form 3 with just the changed characteristics.

I don't see a need for Form 2 if those requirements have not changed.
Be careful with this one. My customer wants all 3 forms filled out with "N/A" in those boxes which are not affected by the revision.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R AS9100 DELTA FAI - Sub-supplier for plating changed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A AS9102 Delta FAI Require after Rework stock item from stock AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D Has anyone taken the AS9100 Delta course / exam? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 37
APHX02 AS9102 FAI Requirements that pertain to a Dimension 'delta' AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D Delta or Partial FAI (First Article Inspection) - What are the differences? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
F Can you reference original FAI (First Article Inspection) after Delta? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Stijloor Delta Airlines declared the worst! Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 43
S The Delta Difference In Speed Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
B Can somebody help me to show a 'delta-FMEA' example? FMEA and Control Plans 10
I How to provide Lower Flame limit (LFL) and Delta Hv(cal/g) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
R Definition Inverted Delta - What does an inverted delta on a print represent? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 22
J Definition of Special Characteristics Delta C and Delta S - Need for Customer Audit Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
D Gage R&R on a delta measurement - Particle measurement count tool Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Marc Delta employee fired for blogging - Sues airline Career and Occupation Discussions 1
R AS9102 - Are FAIs against a Customer Red-Lined Drawings Allowed? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
R Accounting for Alternate Parts in AS9102 FAIs for Assemblies AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Project Man How many First Article Inpections? Customer requesting 5 FAIs per Order Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
B Are all quality manuals essentially the same? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
Top Bottom