Deming's philosophy in education?

WALLACE

Quite Involved in Discussions
Greetings,
I would interested in knowing if there are any examples of the Deming philosophy being used in school education, from grade 1 to college and or university.
Wallace.

Kevin you were right about six sigma!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
See that Wallace? And my wife says I’m hardly ever right about much (LOL)!!

Dr. Deming addresses the need for Educational Systems to undergo the Transformation, most notably in his book, The New Economics. The most active pioneers that I know of in this field are David Langaford and Myron Tribus. If you do a search on either of these men, you will find web sites (David has his own site while Myron uses the Deming Electronic Network) and papers done by both.

I have read most (all?) of Myron’s papers. They are very good at explaining the current state of problems with our system of education and offers insights about schools around the world having opted to use the Deming method. I believe that you will not be disappointed.

Let me know if you have trouble locating them.

Regards,

Kevin

M

Michael T

Hi Wallace,

While I don't know if this is really a fair response, I know that the University of Miami (Florida) Institute for the Study of Quality is using a form of Deming's philosophies. While students still get letter grades, the classes are taught with the principle of continuous improvement at the forefront. When a student turns in an assignment, the professor will review the assignment, make suggestions/feedback, and then hand the assignment back (with the current grade) for possible rework. If the student desires a better "grade", he/she can redo the assignment, incorporating the suggestions/feedback the professor provides. This continues until the professor believes that the student has mastered the concept he/she is teaching (There can be upwards of 10 or more iterations of this process). Hence, there is the concept of both continuous improvement and personal mastery continually emphasized throughout the course of instruction. On the other hand, if the student is satisfied with the original letter grade, or any grade throughout the improvement process, he/she can opt to stop and accept that grade.

Hope this gives you a little of what you are looking for.

Cheers!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Philip Crosby vs. The Deming Philosophy Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 29
ScottK Dr. Deming's most neglected Points and Diseases Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 13
B Does anyone here have any experience with the Deming Prize? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
WCHorn Deming's Eleventh Point and AS9101D are Incompatible Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 19
J Similarities between Juran, Deming and Crosby Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 7
S 97% Predictability in all things? Dr. Deming's statement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
U Shewhart, Deming and Data - a thought provoking article Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Deming Quote in Out of The Crisis Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 3
P Deming - Management of Statistical Techniques for Quality and Productivity Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 9
G Deming Prize (TQM Implementation award) vs. TS 16949 Compliance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G Deming PDCA Cycle Automotive Mfg Sector Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Help with a Deming Quote Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
Stijloor Who will follow Deming-Juran-Crosby in their footsteps? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 4
Stijloor The Deming Evangelist Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 21
Stijloor Are you a member of SAD (Society of Anti-Deming)? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 24
M Deming on You Tube Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
B Games to understand SPC concepts - Variation, Tampering, (Deming funnel experiment) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P What influence have Juran Deming & Crosby had on the retail sector Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
V Quality Gurus Comparison - Deming, Juran, Crosby, Ishikawa and Taguchi Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
D Deming Cycle PDCA - The Check phase clarification, please Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
V Quality Gurus: Question on Comparison of Philosophies: Deming, Crosby, Juran Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 23
V Deming - Drive Out fear - How to Implement a TQM Environment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
ScottK I am Going to Implement Deming's 12th Point for my Staff Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 8
Randy Deming and Shewhart information for Power Point slides related to P-D-C-A Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 8
C Deming award requirement? Control charts manually updated and not on PC? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Wes Bucey Research Seminar Seeking Deming Papers Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 0
L Required Reports for Deming Award - Corporate & Departmental Level Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
WALLACE Deming's SoPK (System of Profound Knowledge) Discussion Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 220
S The theories and practices of Deming, Juran, Kaizen and several others Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 3
WALLACE Deming's SoPK (System of Profound Knowledge) Challenge Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 66
Marc Betamax vs. VHS - What does this tell us? How would Deming explain this? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 11
Kevin Mader Fear - Deming's Point 8 - Reduce fear throughout the organization Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 30
S 6 Sigma Only for Giants? Deming's Thoughts? Six Sigma 3
P Quality Games and Deming's Red Bead Experiment Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 18
Marc Deming vs. Statistical Hypothesis Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
D 4GM - Fourth Generation Management (Deming) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
W Juran vs. Deming - Your Thoughts? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 39
D Japan Today vs. America today..was Deming Right? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 8
G Training Employees about Quality - Philosophy / Mind set Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
G Design Philosophy - Iran Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
M Philosophy and Quality! Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
Q Understanding the general Philosophy with Complaints and CAPAs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
E Evaluating Lean Knowledge: Lean Philosophy Course for Production Engineering Students Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
S Test Philosophy for Electronics Supplier Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K "Leadership Philosophy" Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
M Quality Tools and Philosophy! Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Z Philosophy of CMM Software and CMM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 27
Randy Part of my life philosophy...How about you? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
A Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 32
B Management Philosophy Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 3