Departmental KPI not met - should the Auditor raise a NC for it

karthikshastri

Registered
Departmental KPI not met , Corrective action taken but should there be a NC given for the departmental KPI not being met. The on time delivery to customers KPI not met ,. C.A. taken for the same but during Internal Audit for ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949 should the Auditor raise a NC for it

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
Departmental KPI not met , Corrective action taken but should there be a NC given for the departmental KPI not being met. The on time delivery to customers KPI not met ,. C.A. taken for the same but during Internal Audit for ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949 should the Auditor raise a NC for it

There is no ISO9001/IATF16949 clause specifying requirement that a target needs to be met. Hence a nonconformity can't be raised for non-achievement.

However, there is a requirement for analysis and evaluation - leading to actions. If analysis and action plan is evident, non-conformity cannot be raised.

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
If its your target and they are not being met but action is being taken to investigate this and or rectify this issue why would it be a non-conformance? The clues in the name Key Performance Indicator its to warn/advise you of issues and that actions need to be taken as long as you are doing something thats it. The fact that its been spotted and actions are taking place its as far away from a NC as you could get in my opinion.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
No, but some auditors will, cause hey "I gottcha." Under your description it should be satisfactory if actions where taken to improve performance to the KPI. Since your talking about on time delivery, I am not sure anyone hit their KPIs on that with all the supply chain issues going on. The important question is what are you doing to work on it. Good luck.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Not meeting KPIs is not uncommon. Sometimes there is a global pandemic, or Global banks are being shady with our money. A war might prevent you from getting resource materials on time. All of those and more could impact your on time delivery KPI. If I were auditing you and all of your KPI were always being met year over year I might offer they are too conservative.

Start with the end in mind. You could start with sales targets and determine how your controls could impact their target. If they are targetting 10X sales growth of a product you could create a KPI focused on that focused on your production or on improving supplier output without loss of Quality.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
As others have indicated, unless 16949 has requirements in this area that AS9100 does not, there is no requirement to always hit your KPI's or corporate targets/objectives, call it what you like. It would be downright silly for any standard to say that, IMO. In the example given, I would never write a NC, I might praise them for identifying the issue and acting on it!

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
A question is - did the company acknowledge prior to the audit that the KPI was not being met, and did they have some form of action plan in place, with actual actions likely to be effective in progress?

Top Bottom