Departmental KPI not met - should the Auditor raise a NC for it

AlanC

Involved In Discussions
If the KPI is outside target ( not just a blip) and has no action plan to support then I would raise an NC, also if there is no containment stated as this then doesn't follow the problem solving process, do people agree on that approach

Quality-Nation

On Holiday
If the KPI is outside target ( not just a blip) and has no action plan to support then I would raise an NC, also if there is no containment stated as this then doesn't follow the problem solving process, do people agree on that approach
No, not at all…

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Absolutely not. There can be very good reasons for failing to meet a KPI. can you say pandemic? Also there is is no requirement to meet a KPI. Can we look at why a KPI wasn’t met? And make some suggestions internally yea of course. But. Don’t throw a flaming bag of poop.

AlanC

Involved In Discussions
completely agreed KPI can be plus or minus, but if away from target it should be shown that it is managed with containment

rogerpenna

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would say that you don´t need to take action in the form of an ACTION PLAN.
The action can be simply to recognize it and analyze it.
Every action plan demands resources, even if time.
You can have a risk analysis of each KPI not being met (the KPI not being met may even already be implied in the risk analysis of the department or process)

What is the impact if the risk? Is it low? Are there more pressing issues where to focus the organization efforts.

The very fact ISO standard requires you to have KPIs for every macro process (as companies have hundreds of processes, if you go by the definition of process used by any PROCESS discipline, like Business Process Management) or department is already a waste of effort that should be about first defining the processes/departments that matter most, exactly based on a risk analysis. KPIs require time to collect. If the company doesn´t seem a benefit in doing it for a specific process/department, and that is properly decided based on analysis, they shouldn´t be forced to have the KPI for the sake of having it.

"department X didn´t meet it's kpi this month". Who cares.
"department Y didn´t meet it's kpi this month" Red alert!! Management must interefere ASAP! Turn on the air raid sirens.

Last edited:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
We have written on this topic many, many times. To the point where I saved my responses and started to copy-paste. A search is a terrible thing to waste. Don’t believe the misinformation posted by people who haven’t read the standard and/or don’t understand it and/or simply want to be bullies about their personal agendas….do your research from credible sources.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
completely agreed KPI can be plus or minus, but if away from target it should be shown that it is managed with containment
Yes a KPI should have a clearly stated and business necessary ‘target’ including the statistical error (please practice sane data analysis and use control charts for your KPIs) and the time frame for achieving the goal. And yes if the business necessary goal is not achieved action should be taken even if it’s just to respond appropriately to an adverse event outside of your control. But to issue a corrective action from an internal - or external - auditor? Useless and not required by any standard. Let’s be clear in our language.

Top Bottom