Deployment of an "ISO9000-ready" QMS - Multi-facility site

B
I have been asked to explore the deployment an "ISO9000-ready" quality management system for a three-plant facility. No decision has been made on whether to seek registration.

At present, there is no overall system: each plant has a variety of procedures and work instructions. Each uses a different approach in their systems and processes. The plants come on-line about one year apart, hence the lack of common systems/processes.

I am trying to come up with a way to the structure the documentation that might be acceptable should we seek registration. For example, would we write a procedure on corrective action (level 2), then have each plant provide a work instruction (level 3) on how corrective action is handled in that particular plant. Or would we kick up everything up one level to quality manual and three procedures.

Another approach would be to sit everyone down and hash out common systems and processes for all three plants. This might be more painful, but the commonality of approach is appealing, especially when it comes to managing the QMS.

Organizationally, each plant is managed by a separate director, who reports to a VP. There are some common systems/process across all three plants: HR, calibration, finance, etc.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Ben Royal
Reynosa, Mexico

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Well, Ben, it would appear that you have quite a sizeable project on your hands...and that you can see the pro's and con's for both of the options you presented. I've been "lucky" enough to have experienced both of the options you are now facing and what I have learned is to not rock the boat.

What is currently common stays common. What is currently different, remains different....for now. Get the processes established, formalized and under control. Then, welcome to the wonderful world of Continual Improvement. Pick the best from each processes and blend it all together to form a top-notch, awesome process shared by all three sites.

Afterall, where in ISO does is say that the processes have to be identical at multi-site organizations? As long as people are clearly able to distinguish that Process A belongs to Site Alpha and not Site Omega, where's the problem?

Okay...the one obviously problem is documentation out the wazoo (hmm...3rd time I've said that word today....). But why reinvent the wheel just now? Plants will have a difficult enough time documenting what they do and verifying that it's truly what they do. Toss in the variable of "let's create a common process" and you could face a mutiny.

Of course, you are much more in tune with your company's culture than we are here in the Cove. Would the people be really adverse to a sudden (and potentially massive) change to their processes?...or the creation of new process (i.e., what if they don't have a corrective action system)?

My thought process tells me that both of your options are the correct one...but in a particular order.

#1 - Figure out what the processes are per location...be they common or different.
#2 - Assess the processes - look for efficiency and effectivess.
#3 - Share the information.
#4 - Blend the processes to create "uber-processes"...if practical, feasible, realistic....maybe it makes good business sense to keep them separate...only your organization can decide this.

These steps will not happen over night. They require time to implement and analyze. But stick with what is done right now, find the gaps, address the gaps...build that foundation of a Management System first, before you start trying to improve it. :)

G

Greg B

Ben,
I agree with Roxane (as usual)

Are your three plants in similar processing roles? For instance is one a production line for widgets and another a mining operation or raw material manufacturer? If so then you may need to have separate procedures for dealing with Non Conformances, Product storage etc etc. We have an overriding QM and each site has their sub manual (what they do, how they do it, responsibilities and authorities etc). Work Instructions and procedures are usually site driven although the Management review and a few others are Company wide.

We have a single certificate for our three Mines, one Manufacturing plant, an offsite, third party storage location for bulk Ship loading and an offsite third party manufacturer (who in turn both have their own ISO certificate).

We have a collective annual audit and the registrar takes four or five days and does the lot in one hit (they are located within 100 kilometres of each other). It is very taxing on both of us but it has been done this way for 15 years. We also have a separate half day audit conducted on our Marketing site which is located some 600 kilometres away.

Greg B

B
Thanks for the responses. I am trying to clarify for myself an approach that seems reasonable and practical before I begin writing the project definition and approaching senior management. Your thoughts have helped tremendously.

For cncmarine: Two of the three plants provide subassemblies to corporate plants elsewhere; one does simple assembly, the other rather complex machining. The third plant assemblies a finished product unrelated to the other two plants.

I am speaking with lower level managers and team members one-on-one, stirring the pot, if you will. Hopefully consensus on an approach will begin emerge.

Also, the paper by Craig Cochran "System Planing and Process Control" has been very helpful.

Again, thank you for your time.

Final follow-up

To all who responded this past summner:

Management has decided not to seek ISO registration, but we will use ISO as a model.

Again, thanks for your time and comments.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Common practices in ISO 9001 deployment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Marc IAQG announces 9100D:2016 Deployment Support Webinars (Winter 2017) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
N Lean Six Sigma Deployment Six Sigma 2
M Value Stream Mapping or Deployment Chart in Services Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
D The RADAR assessment ? EFQM - The Deployment Scoring Part Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
kedarg6500 Horizontal Deployment of Corrective Action - is it Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
AnaMariaVR2 Rapid Deployment Tips to Prepare for an Inspection Quickly (Article) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Sidney Vianna Article on the 9110:2009 Standard and it's Deployment in the MRO Sector AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q FMEA & QFD (Quality Function Deployment) Interlinked? FMEA and Control Plans 3
L ISO 9001:2000 and CMMI v1.2 Integration and Org Deployment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B QFD (Quality Function Deployment) - World Class / Competitor Benchmarking Benchmarking 3
A Quality Personnel Deployment Ratio to Sales Turnover Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
I The Role of Managers and Employees deployment of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P 5S Deployment Sequence Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
N FORD Quick QFD (Quality Function Deployment) Document information wanted Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
Q Benchmark Survey - FMEA Deployment, Implementation and Use FMEA and Control Plans 4
T QFD (Quality Function Deployment) in Six Sigma Six Sigma 10
T QFD (Quality Function Deployment) Software recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
S Does Quality Engineering have a role in QFD (Quality Function Deployment)? APQP and PPAP 1
C Management Quality Audits as Part of Policy Deployment/Hoshin General Auditing Discussions 4
C Simplified version of QFD (Quality Function Deployment) - Ford Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Sidney Vianna Deployment of AS9110 - What are your thoughts? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
Q QFD (Quality Function Deployment) Information Resources -- Are these any good? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
T QPD (Quality Policy Deployment) reading recomendations? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
Y Quality Function Deployment (QFD) - Seeking information on QFD Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 25
K How do QFD (Quality Function Deployment) & KANO MODEL fit in a quality system? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
Marc Hoshin Planning (Hoshin Kanri) - A system of planning and deployment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
J TPM and FORD's Lean Manufacturing Deployment training course same as Toyota's Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Marc QFD Quality Function Deployment - Tool to map out product characteristics Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
C ISO9000 and CWF (Certified Welding Fabricator) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Innovation in Quality as applied to ISO9000 ISO14000 or TS16949 Service Industry Specific Topics 1
L Vertical vs Horizontal Integration ISO9000 QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Explain to me the differences between ISO9000 and TQM ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M ISO9000.3:2004 vs. AS9100 - What are the Differences? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
ScottK Which ISO9000 Registrar would you pick? (Hypothetical Situation) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Certification of a Group Corporation - ISO9000/14000 vs. SONY GP certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B The new Terms and Definitions in ISO9000:2005 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Randy ISO9000:2005 vs. ISO9000:2000 - Differences and Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E Franchise of ISO9000 certified organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
M ISO9000 presentation help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M ISO9000 Training Presentation - Seeking introductory presentation on ISO9000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A How much objective evidence is required for ISO9000 certification? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
N Signature for CAD / Engineering Drawings and ISO9000 requirements Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
S Changing from ISO9000 to ISO9001:2000 need help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Looking for subject matter for thesis about TQM, ISO9000, TS19649 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Can We Exclude ISO9000:2000 Clause 7.3.7 (Control Of Design And Development Changes)? Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
D Document Issue & Control in ISO9000-3 - Medical software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Y ISO9000-3 - Software Traceability Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J ISO9000:2000 Scope Statement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Are ISO9000 certificates ever withdrawn? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10