Derivation of Gage R&R Formula and Calculations

M

marklee

derivation of gage R&R calculations

Does anyone have a book or journal reference that shows how the formulas for gage R&R are developed? Specifically, where do the tables and other constants come from that are used in the Range and Average method of gage R&R. Anyone have worked examples comparing ANOVA method with Range and Average method?
Thanks,
Mark

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Winton

If you go to:

--> Obsolete Link Removed 2003-09-24 by Marc <--

and find a link named 'Repeatability and Reliability" and download it. It should help.

Regards,

Don

M

marklee

Don,
Thanks for pointing me to your good tutorial. I have some more questions and comments after reading this through:
1. You refer to "Duncans's text", and it looks like it is described in a footnote which I can't see on my screen (pdf file bug?). Can you give me the name of this text by Duncan that you cite?
2. Repeatability is defined by 5.15*sigma_ev. I have assumed that gage R&R was using 6 sigma (99.7% compared to 99.0%)which would use 6.00*sigma_ev instead of 5.15. Thanks for clearing this up.
3. I can see that standand deviation and range would be related by a constant, but I still don't see where they come from. What are behind the estimations of the "d2" parameter in the equation sigma_ev = R_bar_bar / d2? Is there a For/Next loop that generates these?
Thanks,
Mark

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Don Winton said:
If you go to:

--> Obsolete Link Removed 2003-09-24 by Marc <--

and find a link named 'Repeatability and Reliability" and download it. It should help.
If anyone has a copy of this document, please let me know or attach to a post.

Thanks!

Darius

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have a file, may be to elemental, but it take other aproach to the explanation of the calculations.

And also the Anova aproach

I hope this may help to clarify R&R

:vfunny:

Attachments

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sam said:
Marc,
This may be similar to what you are looking for. It was downloaded from this site in 2000.
Sam, Thanks a lot for that file. (.. and how I miss d'Wizard's lair!)

For derivation of Repeatability & Reproducibility formulae and the K factors, I was about to suggest Larry Barrentine's book "Concepts for R&R studies" ( referenced in the file above - available from ASQ for $25. I just received my copy about 10 days ago.)

For more information on the d2* factors, try the attached PDF document from AIAG.

Crossed and Nested ANOVA calculations can be found in any standard statistical text book on DOE. The one I used was Design of Experiments by Douglas Montgomery.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Gage R&R derivation with respect to ndc - Lessons Learned Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Basis for the Derivation of Inspection Levels (I, II, III & Special) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
U Derivation of 'Entitlement' (achievable target) in Six sigma project? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Gage R&R Standard Deviations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Informational Gage R&R: Swapping operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Gage R & R for large amount of inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S Ring Gage Thermal Expansion General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Minor diameter of threaded ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Ignoring a Failed Gage R&R and upcoming external audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
R Scaling a Gage R&R - 2 holding fixtures each with 10 nests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
apestate Inexpensive Gage Blocks for small aerospace startup shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Position tolerance check gage manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
B Informational Expanded Gage R&R Analysis using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
S Interesting Discussion Threaded ring gage calibration and tendonitis in the elbows General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A Federal 700B-26 Gage Block Comparator is not reading properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0