Design and Development training

Tapish

Registered
Hello,

We would like to provide training to our Engineering group about robust design and development process. We are also planning to get AS9100 Standards.
We were startup and now scaling fast. Are there any lectures/training materials/ YT or other videos out there which explain the Design and development process in detail.
We would like to provide general training and add supplementary training for our current process. Most of our engineers do not have experience in robust design process, have no direct design experience. The training would be very helpful, specially if it aligns with AS9100 requirements.

Thank you so much.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello,

We would like to provide training to our Engineering group about robust design and development process. We are also planning to get AS9100 Standards.
We were startup and now scaling fast. Are there any lectures/training materials/ YT or other videos out there which explain the Design and development process in detail.
We would like to provide general training and add supplementary training for our current process. Most of our engineers do not have experience in robust design process, have no direct design experience. The training would be very helpful, specially if it aligns with AS9100 requirements.

Thank you so much.
How about hiring competent design engineers? You're on a fast-track. I doubt if exposing engineers to a quick training program will help you.

Randy

Super Moderator
A few years ago (under the 2008 revision of 9K) we had a request to develop an 8 hr course for all of clause 7.3 D&D (now 8.3). The course was intended to be a one of for the engineering department of a major HVAC manufacturer.

Course stipulations were...
From conception to completion for a singular "product" success
Nothing specific to their industry or product
Design success examples
Design failure examples
Emphasis on Verification & Validation

The subject I chose for the "product" was related to the winning of the "Ansari X Prize" (Won by Scaled Composites & Spaceship One. I got permission from Scaled Composites to use the materials they had posted on the internet detailing their efforts)

Examples of Design Failures used
Tacoma Narrows Bridge
New Coke
M247 Sgt York
Mars Climate Orbiter

Successful Design examples used
Roman concrete
Roman Road System
Douglas DC 3
Transistor

I can't provide any copies because I did it for a former "employer" and it's their property, however if you take the concept of D&D outside your product specialty to provide illumination of the subject your staff may be better well served.

Oh yeah, it was so well received that word of mouth from the original engineers to their friends in other places generated additional revenue and the course itself became a public offering in our catalogue until the 2015 rev came out. (My compensation was increased as well and nicely too)

Last edited:
Top Bottom