Definition Design Capacity - What does 'Design Capacity' (or 'Rated Capacity') mean?

S

samsung

What does 'design capacity' (or 'rated capacity') mean and what factors does the manufacturer take into consideration while declaring the 'design capacity' of the equipment?

e.g. if the manufacturer has expressed the design capacity of a plant as 6000 tons per day, is it equivalent to 2.19 million tons per annum given the fact that the equipment does require scheduled maintenance and also there are unplanned downtime, delays, max. process efficiency and various other factors that could adversely affect the actual production capacity.

In short, what I'm interested to know is how to determine the annual production capacity if the designed capacity is expressed in tons per day or tons per hour.

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Overall Equipment Effectiveness(OEE) which is a combination of Utilization, Efficiency and Quality will play a role in deciding actual capacity. Normally when a Manufacturer claims his Capacity, it is better to get into the details of whether OEE is taken into account or otherwise.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
What does 'design capacity' (or 'rated capacity') mean and what factors does the manufacturer take into consideration while declaring the 'design capacity' of the equipment?

e.g. if the manufacturer has expressed the design capacity of a plant as 6000 tons per day, is it equivalent to 2.19 million tons per annum given the fact that the equipment does require scheduled maintenance and also there are unplanned downtime, delays, max. process efficiency and various other factors that could adversely affect the actual production capacity.

In short, what I'm interested to know is how to determine the annual production capacity if the designed capacity is expressed in tons per day or tons per hour.

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.
Design capacity is the design input of safe maximum limit per unit time. This unit time may be cycle dependent of the equipment. For example a STP capacity can be in CMD (cubic meters per day), For a blower it can be in CFM (cubic foot per minute) For a EOT it can be SWL (Safe working load) for a water filter system, it can be LPM (Litre per minute)
The usage can be played around this capacity but cannot be expected to perform to extrapolated time to annual levels. This will be just one factor alongside several other to determine or plan annual capacity.

S

samsung

Thanks for the responses.

I put up my question in another way -

Design capacity = 6000 tons per day

Annual capacity = 6000 x 365 or 2190000 tons

Assuming 35 days for preventive maint. and other unplanned downtime,

So the actual production would be = 6000 x 330 or 1980000 tons

Can the design capacity be calculated as = 2190000/330 or 6636 tons per day ?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

Design capacity is never deduced from production capacity. Rather production capacity is factored over design capacity.

S

samsung

Design capacity is never deduced from production capacity. Rather production capacity is factored over design capacity.
Do you mean Capacity utilization,

Utilization = Actual output / Design capacity

In this case, it would come out to be 110.6%

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
No. I used the word factored and not calculated.
Design capacity is a constant. Moreover a management decision to install a higher design capacity equipment can be taken with future in mind. This capacity cannot be governing utilization.
Utilization = Actual output / Design capacity
Denominator is a constant, so utilization is directly proportional to output. I cannot know from where you get this equation.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die

Here's my understanding.
Assuming that there is only one Equipment involved, lets say the Utilization of the Equipment is 90%, Efficiency is 90% and Quality is 100%. Overall Equipment Effectiveness is 90X90X100 i.e. 81%. Now your actual capacity would be 6000X0.81 i.e. 4860 tons per day or 1773900 tons annual.

Remember, Utilization is not just about Preventive Maintenance and Unplanned downtime, it also includes Daily Meeting, 5S, Setting time, etc. Efficiency of the equipment is another important factor in Capacity calculation. The theoretical Cycle time can be 1 min/part, but after one hour of continuous operation the equipment may yield only 45 parts (with 75% efficiency). And number of bad parts produced, all these decide the actual capacity.

S

samsung

Here's my understanding.
Assuming that there is only one Equipment involved, lets say the Utilization of the Equipment is 90%, Efficiency is 90% and Quality is 100%. Overall Equipment Effectiveness is 90X90X100 i.e. 81%. Now your actual capacity would be 6000X0.81 i.e. 4860 tons per day or 1773900 tons annual.

Remember, Utilization is not just about Preventive Maintenance and Unplanned downtime, it also includes Daily Meeting, 5S, Setting time, etc. Efficiency of the equipment is another important factor in Capacity calculation. The theoretical Cycle time can be 1 min/part, but after one hour of continuous operation the equipment may yield only 45 parts (with 75% efficiency). And number of bad parts produced, all these decide the actual capacity.
Thanks Chennaiite for your response. The reason behind asking this question is that I couldn't recollect myself when recently I came across a news article wherein it was claimed by one of the plant heads that the designed capacity of the plant supplied to them was 6500 tpd (standard terminology that the suppliers use to express the plant capacity) but after process optimization (???), they could actually produce 2584000 tons of product per annum or 7600 tpd (340 days or 8160 hours of operation in a year) without any engineering modifications. (I assume 98% as the highest efficiency at which they might have operated the plant.)

So, the question is rephrased as - Is it possible for an equipment to deliver higher output than its actual design/ rated capacity? If not then either the achieved output or the rated capacity in the above case is misleading.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Thanks Chennaiite for your response. The reason behind asking this question is that I couldn't recollect myself when recently I came across a news article wherein it was claimed by one of the plant heads that the designed capacity of the plant supplied to them was 6500 tpd (standard terminology that the suppliers use to express the plant capacity) but after process optimization (???), they could actually produce 2584000 tons of product per annum or 7600 tpd (340 days or 8160 hours of operation in a year) without any engineering modifications. (I assume 98% as the highest efficiency at which they might have operated the plant.)

So, the question is rephrased as - Is it possible for an equipment to deliver higher output than its actual design/ rated capacity? If not then either the achieved output or the rated capacity in the above case is misleading.
My interpretation is this particular Manufacturer has increased his 'Design Capacity' through Process Optimization resulting in increase in actual output. Doesn't look misleading for me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
DuncanGibbons How is the arrangement between Design and Production organisation envisaged? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
L Design & Development of a SERVICE Service Industry Specific Topics 13
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A AS9102B - 3.6 Design Characteristics and form 3 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J Iterative design and production for custom made products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Design Input detail & specificity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Design file for pre-existing products - Inputs and Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Old medical devices -> 7.3.7. Design and development validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Design and Manufacture Guidelines for Surface Mount Technology Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
optomist1 Design Exclusion, but now we might have an outsourced Product Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
A Design process goal for ISO 9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 23
Z Definitive definition of design? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Design Development MDR Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
C Essential Design Output(s) and Design transfer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
O How can I justify excluding the R&D group and the design and development clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
D DHF Responsibility after design handover Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K Completing Design Controls after 510(k) Clearance Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
C Design and implementation of process audits as defined within IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Design Verification Documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
R Design verification for interim design outputs - sampling rationale ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C IATF 16949 8.3 Exclusion - Manufacturing process design and development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R No design history file or device master record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R Suggestions for putting together a DHF (Design History File) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M One clinical design: Russia and Europe Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
H New 510K VS Documents about design change. Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Patient Engagement in Design and Conduct of Medical Device Clinical Investigations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device Design Control Auditor Recommentations General Auditing Discussions 19
R Implementing Design History Documents/ Technical Documents in the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3