Design check list for Cable and Wiring Harnesses

F

foranif

Hi all,
Does anyone have and can share with me a check list for Cable and Wiring Harnesses.
I started to build something but I wonder if I can have something more professional.
It should be simple and not too long, kind of 20 questions.

You can see below my draft (based on legacy issues we faced with)
:thanx:

1.Was strain relief used?
2.Is there a BOM which includes all cable sub parts and if so are all parts released in Enovia ?
3.Do the pins match the cables gauge (AWG) and do they match the connector?
4.Was the cable tested under a fully loaded stress?
5.Was the cable length tested and found suitable for application based on routing?
6.Was the cable fully assembled at the manufacturer ?
7.Was the connector chosen in a way best suited to the work environment and conditions?
8.Is the chosen connector prevents the wires from breaking, less than X1.5 of the cable’s AWG
9.Is the Electrical clearance spacing between conductors maximized as possible?
9.Was it verified that no EOL parts are been used?
10.Was the cable drawing done from a released and updated template
11.Is the cable defined as a critical part?
12.Are there any sensitive parts, which require special attention?
13.Does the cable’s weight requires strain relief or mechanical support?
14.Strain relief defined on all connectors and meet wires gauge
15.Shrink defined to protect stranded and solid wire conductors, connections, joints and terminal places and bare wires
16.Wire gauge is complying with both standard operation and maximal (nonstandard) current on the tool
17.Mistake-proofing been implemented for cable with more then two same connectors – different color, different type
18. Pinout checked compared to device pin-out and found matched?
19.All defined parts have reasonable longevity or alternative suitable source(FFF)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

foranif

Sure, It's my requirements to my suppliers to meet IPC 620 class 2,and I'm a trainer (CIT) :)

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi all,
Does anyone have and can share with me a check list for Cable and Wiring Harnesses.
I started to build something but I wonder if I can have something more professional.
It should be simple and not too long, kind of 20 questions.
Look at the attached file that you can choose your questions from.

Attachments

• Wire harness chklst.xlsx
    50.3 KB · Views: 533
A

ARC05

That's a great checklist @Al Rosen, although it's very much oriented at assessing a production system for established designs, rather than what I suspect @foranif was looking for - a 'design' checklist. I assume perhaps working on developing a design manual?
I too am interested in more guidance relating to design criteria of wire harnesses. Most of what we do is 'build-to-print' manufacturing with only some 'design assistance' work. We're looking to further develop our design capabilities, and work towards a QMS that allows us to include 8.3 design in our AS9100 scope.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
That's a great checklist @Al Rosen, although it's very much oriented at assessing a production system for established designs, rather than what I suspect @foranif was looking for - a 'design' checklist. I assume perhaps working on developing a design manual?
I too am interested in more guidance relating to design criteria of wire harnesses. Most of what we do is 'build-to-print' manufacturing with only some 'design assistance' work. We're looking to further develop our design capabilities, and work towards a QMS that allows us to include 8.3 design in our AS9100 scope.
As Andy suggested look at IPC-A-620.

Top Bottom