Design Control - Help required with procedure!

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
We are in the final throws of gaining accreditation to QS-9000 and T&E. Our company is Design Responsible but our Engineering Dept find it very difficult to adhere to “simple guidelines”. As a result I found five nonconformances during a recent internal audit to ISO 9001 mainly cetering on them not keeping evidence for the different stages of the design project.

I have now re-written the procedure to include ONLY the bare essentials and a checklist for each element of Design Control. I would like to compare my procedure with that of a tooling manufacturer for a small company <100 employees who is unequivocally Design responsible.

To show what I’m up against; when I showed my proposal to the Engineering Director, he started to read the standard to find get out clauses for the different Design elements. I tried to explain to him that these were the basic requirements for designing and developing a product. From a layman’s point of view I could see how the Design element could be seen to be time consuming, but if you want to get it right first time, you’ve got to follow the standard. (Or have I got it all wrong?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have the documents in MSWord, if someone could take a quick look at them, I'd be eternally grateful!

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Stuart Andrews (edited 23 March 2001).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'm not a T&E expert - Maybe Laura or Howard can help here.

If no takers, I'll take a quick looksie.

L

Laura M

Missed this one. I will be glad to take a look. I'm working with my 2nd T/E company right now <100. They are ISO certified and "upgrading" to T/E.

Send to email through above link.

Laura

[This message has been edited by Laura M (edited 23 March 2001).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Medical Device Design Control Auditor Recommentations General Auditing Discussions 19
R Operator's manuals as prevention design control FMEA and Control Plans 2
S Design Control for Class I Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Design Transfer - How do you guys control the design transfer process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Is Human Factor Testing required as part of Design Control Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
W Design Control Assistance required ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
V For a Drug-Device Combination Product, 'Design Control' Process is triggered at? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Design Control - Can Validation be based on a limited/first Production Run ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Design Control for Relabeling and Repackaging 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
N Dual ISO 9001 (Manufacturing) and ISO 13485 (Design Control) for same product line ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
V Design & Documentation of Control Systems and Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
C How to evaluate the Detection Ranking of a new Design Control FMEA and Control Plans 1
A Design Control Requirements: IDE exempt, NSR Device (Clinical Study) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Class II Medical Device Design Control Non Conformance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
I Content to be included or excluded in Design Control Meeting Minutes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
H ISO 9001 Document Control Requirements - Design and Development Department Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M QSR - Design Control on Existing Device not Designed following QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H Medical Device Design Control Requirements (820.30) on Existing Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Internal Design Control Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Better control of DHR (Design History Record) during processing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Class I and Class II Medical Device Accessory Design Control Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
G Understanding Identification of Design in QSR 21 CRF Part 820.30 Design Control (f) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Tracking Log for IP during Design Control Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K 7.3.7 Control of Design & Development Changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Design Control - Parent Company is located in Australia 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S New Requirements for Design Control in AS9100 C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W Design History Verification Records Control and Approvals US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
B Design Control and Release Manual plus a Quality Manual Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
K Design Control SOP - Streamlining with R&D Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A R&D Design Control - Ideas to Improve the Quality of Drawings Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
H Design Control Requirement - Initial Distributor of a Class I Video Laryngoscope US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M ISO 17025 and Design/Process Control Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
bobdoering Myth or Mythunderstanding: Implications of the Economic Design of Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
C At what stage does Design Control play a role in Medical Device Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Suggestions on how to control a Design Dossier? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Request for a Design Control Procedure or Process Flow for HVAC Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Design/Change Control Procedure - How to cope with Changes during Development? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 26
J What things go in Design Control Documentation for a 510k of Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Design Control & Rapid Prototyping - Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Declaration of Conformity to Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S Declaration of Conformity to Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
A QSR (820.30 part e) Design Review and Design Control Responsibilities 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8