Design Control Necessary - Specification development company

N

Nilar Divad

I work for a specification development company that is in the process of adapting an existing reusable device to single-use-only. Our QSR and ISO consultant insists that we can delete the design control portion from our quality system without fear of being dinged by the FDA or auditors, because the "design" is already done. I maintain that although the application and operating principle of the device is unchanged, the changes in materials, construction, and dimensions are design processes, and they have to be considered within the framework of design control.
The product development team is ecstatic to have done with formal design control as this reduces demands on them, but as the designee, I don't want to have to tell them and upper management "I told you so" when we bomb an audit.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Winton

<FONT COLOR="BLUE"><BLOCKQUOTE>Our QSR and ISO consultant insists that we can delete the design control portion from our quality system without fear of being dinged by the FDA or auditors, because the "design" is already done.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT>

Your consultant is more ISO than QSR, methinks.

From the QSR:

<FONT COLOR="BLUE"><BLOCKQUOTE>Each manufacturer of any class III or class II device, and the class I devices listed in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, shall establish and maintain procedures to control the design of the device in order to ensure that specified design requirements are met.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT>

This specifically states that procedures are required. Even if you do not design a device, you <FONT COLOR="RED">shall establish and maintain procedures...</FONT>. Even if the procedures state "we do not do this" you must have them.

Also from the QSR [820.30(i)]:

<FONT COLOR="BLUE"><BLOCKQUOTE>Design changes: Each manufacturer shall establish and maintain procedures for the identification, documentation, validation, or where appropriate verification, review, and approval of design changes before their implementation.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT>

So, how does the consultant propose to comply with this without the <FONT COLOR="RED">design control portion from our quality system</FONT>.

My suggestion:

Even if you are not designing a device, you should have procedures to dictate what would happen if a device were to be designed (look towards the future). You must have procedures to dictate what would happen if a (your) design were to be changed.

<FONT COLOR="BLUE"><BLOCKQUOTE>I maintain that although the application and operating principle of the device is unchanged, the changes in materials, construction, and dimensions are design processes, and they have to be considered within the framework of design control.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT>

I agree.

Your consultant may want to consider this when dealing with any compliance issues, especially Government bodies:

<CENTER>"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
dWizard</CENTER>

<FONT COLOR="BLUE"><BLOCKQUOTE>The product development team is ecstatic to have done with formal design control...</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT>

They really should cool their jets and read the QSR.

Regards,

Don

D

Don Winton

From the FDA's Small Entity's Compliance Guide:

Section 3, Page 1

<FONT COLOR="RED">...all non-exempt manufacturers including very small manufacturers and manufacturers that design less complex devices or processes are expected (Translated to FDA speak:</FONT> required<FONT COLOR="RED">) to define, document and implement design control procedures and other quality system procedures as called for in the regulation.</FONT>

Regards,

Don

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Medical Device Design Control Auditor Recommentations General Auditing Discussions 19
R Operator's manuals as prevention design control FMEA and Control Plans 2
S Design Control for Class I Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Design Transfer - How do you guys control the design transfer process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Is Human Factor Testing required as part of Design Control Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
W Design Control Assistance required ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
V For a Drug-Device Combination Product, 'Design Control' Process is triggered at? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Design Control - Can Validation be based on a limited/first Production Run ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Design Control for Relabeling and Repackaging 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
N Dual ISO 9001 (Manufacturing) and ISO 13485 (Design Control) for same product line ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
V Design & Documentation of Control Systems and Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
C How to evaluate the Detection Ranking of a new Design Control FMEA and Control Plans 1
A Design Control Requirements: IDE exempt, NSR Device (Clinical Study) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Class II Medical Device Design Control Non Conformance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
I Content to be included or excluded in Design Control Meeting Minutes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
H ISO 9001 Document Control Requirements - Design and Development Department Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M QSR - Design Control on Existing Device not Designed following QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H Medical Device Design Control Requirements (820.30) on Existing Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Internal Design Control Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Better control of DHR (Design History Record) during processing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Class I and Class II Medical Device Accessory Design Control Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
G Understanding Identification of Design in QSR 21 CRF Part 820.30 Design Control (f) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Tracking Log for IP during Design Control Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K 7.3.7 Control of Design & Development Changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Design Control - Parent Company is located in Australia 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S New Requirements for Design Control in AS9100 C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W Design History Verification Records Control and Approvals US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
B Design Control and Release Manual plus a Quality Manual Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
K Design Control SOP - Streamlining with R&D Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A R&D Design Control - Ideas to Improve the Quality of Drawings Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
H Design Control Requirement - Initial Distributor of a Class I Video Laryngoscope US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M ISO 17025 and Design/Process Control Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
bobdoering Myth or Mythunderstanding: Implications of the Economic Design of Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
C At what stage does Design Control play a role in Medical Device Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Suggestions on how to control a Design Dossier? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Request for a Design Control Procedure or Process Flow for HVAC Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Design/Change Control Procedure - How to cope with Changes during Development? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 26
J What things go in Design Control Documentation for a 510k of Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Design Control & Rapid Prototyping - Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Declaration of Conformity to Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S Declaration of Conformity to Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
A QSR (820.30 part e) Design Review and Design Control Responsibilities 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8