Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process

Hi all,
I recently joined a medical device start-up for putting in place a QMS. We are in Design and Development Phase and using a contract manufacturer. Until now we were relying on the CM's quality system and documentation, however I now want to put in place Design Controls procedures from our side as well. My question is how exactly should I properly document it and implement it, since the effective date of our procedures will be much later after the design and development process actually started? What would be the best way to integrate documents from our CM (different numbering and everything) into our Document System?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tidge

Involved In Discussions
My question is how exactly should I properly document it and implement it, since the effective date of our procedures will be much later after the design and development process actually started?
I recommend performing a gap analysis of the development activities (and documentation) performed prior to implementation of the initial procedures. Ideally such an analysis would occur prior to transfer to production, so as to avoid potentially serious issues. The gap analysis belongs in the DHF for the devices.

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
The way I have done this before is to explain the situation in a design project plan document. Have you done design verification yet?

By the way, it may be unnecessary to have all of the CM documents in your system. You should have specifications for your device, and the CM can have their own documents to show how they meet those specifications. In your medical device file, however, you will need to have copies of thier documentation. Moving forward, you will need to be notified prior to implementation of any change at the CM that affects your product. You will need to have a quality agreements that states as much.

atitheya

Hi all,
I recently joined a medical device start-up for putting in place a QMS. We are in Design and Development Phase and using a contract manufacturer. Until now we were relying on the CM's quality system and documentation, however I now want to put in place Design Controls procedures from our side as well. My question is how exactly should I properly document it and implement it, since the effective date of our procedures will be much later after the design and development process actually started? What would be the best way to integrate documents from our CM (different numbering and everything) into our Document System?
I think you should define the review, verification and validation activities you would like to perform or witness and at what stages (right from planning to final output), depending on the amount of control you want / need to exercise. You would also need to ensure that the risk management activities are sufficiently carried out and the results are considered in the design process.

Would like to know other views on this.

The way I have done this before is to explain the situation in a design project plan document. Have you done design verification yet?

By the way, it may be unnecessary to have all of the CM documents in your system. You should have specifications for your device, and the CM can have their own documents to show how they meet those specifications. In your medical device file, however, you will need to have copies of thier documentation. Moving forward, you will need to be notified prior to implementation of any change at the CM that affects your product. You will need to have a quality agreements that states as much.
We are currently in design verification phase. There is of course a commercial agreement with the CM and I am currently drafting one specifically for quality documentation. If I understand you correctly, in the DHF I will need copies of the CM's documentation, but nothing else outside of DHF?

I recommend performing a gap analysis of the development activities (and documentation) performed prior to implementation of the initial procedures. Ideally such an analysis would occur prior to transfer to production, so as to avoid potentially serious issues. The gap analysis belongs in the DHF for the devices.
I will do a gap analysis, thank you for the idea!

indubioush

We are currently in design verification phase. There is of course a commercial agreement with the CM and I am currently drafting one specifically for quality documentation. If I understand you correctly, in the DHF I will need copies of the CM's documentation, but nothing else outside of DHF?
That is a pretty open ended question. It will be up to you on how you manage the connection between your requirements for product and the way the CM meets those requirements. There is no need to have all the CM's documents approved through your system. You will need to demonstrate that you have control over the quality of your product even though another company is making it for you. Hope that makes sense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Design & Documentation of Control Systems and Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Medical Device Design Control Auditor Recommentations General Auditing Discussions 19
R Operator's manuals as prevention design control FMEA and Control Plans 2
S Design Control for Class I Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Defining Approvals Required for Design Control Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Design Transfer - How do you guys control the design transfer process? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Is Human Factor Testing required as part of Design Control Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
W Design Control Assistance required ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
V For a Drug-Device Combination Product, 'Design Control' Process is triggered at? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Design Control - Can Validation be based on a limited/first Production Run ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Design Control for Relabeling and Repackaging 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
N Dual ISO 9001 (Manufacturing) and ISO 13485 (Design Control) for same product line ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C How to evaluate the Detection Ranking of a new Design Control FMEA and Control Plans 1
A Design Control Requirements: IDE exempt, NSR Device (Clinical Study) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Class II Medical Device Design Control Non Conformance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
I Content to be included or excluded in Design Control Meeting Minutes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
H ISO 9001 Document Control Requirements - Design and Development Department Checklists Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M QSR - Design Control on Existing Device not Designed following QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H Medical Device Design Control Requirements (820.30) on Existing Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Internal Design Control Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Better control of DHR (Design History Record) during processing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Class I and Class II Medical Device Accessory Design Control Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
G Understanding Identification of Design in QSR 21 CRF Part 820.30 Design Control (f) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Tracking Log for IP during Design Control Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K 7.3.7 Control of Design & Development Changes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
K Design Control - Parent Company is located in Australia 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S New Requirements for Design Control in AS9100 C AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
W Design History Verification Records Control and Approvals US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
B Design Control and Release Manual plus a Quality Manual Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
K Design Control SOP - Streamlining with R&D Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A R&D Design Control - Ideas to Improve the Quality of Drawings Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
H Design Control Requirement - Initial Distributor of a Class I Video Laryngoscope US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M ISO 17025 and Design/Process Control Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
bobdoering Myth or Mythunderstanding: Implications of the Economic Design of Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
C At what stage does Design Control play a role in Medical Device Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Suggestions on how to control a Design Dossier? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Request for a Design Control Procedure or Process Flow for HVAC Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Design/Change Control Procedure - How to cope with Changes during Development? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 26
J What things go in Design Control Documentation for a 510k of Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Design Control & Rapid Prototyping - Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Declaration of Conformity to Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S Declaration of Conformity to Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
A QSR (820.30 part e) Design Review and Design Control Responsibilities 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Procedure for Control and Maintain of Records in each Design Stage 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
V Design Control for Repackager-Relabeler 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
Q ISO 13485 Design Control Procedure for Virtual Manufacturer wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2