SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Design controls - Inputs, outputs, V&V, DHF, DMR

duff999

Involved In Discussions
I have a few questions regarding design controls.

Design Inputs: Are these my requirements I gather from users, regulatory, product requirements?
Design Outputs: I understand these are gathered from my inputs, in the end is my output the specific product specifications.
V&V (Verification and Validation): Is this separated from my outputs - or are my verification plans, protocols, etc included as a output.
DHF (Device Design History File): Is there a specific list that is documented somewhere to ensure I have all the appropriate documentation
DMR (Device Master Record): same as above

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Quite Involved in Discussions
This is a broad topic. To keep it simple for an initial response, I suggest understanding the definition of terms in the QSR.

There is no prescribed list of Design documents you must create to be compliant. The design and development procedures, within your QMS, define what must be delivered to create a compliant DHF (as well as a safe and effective product) for your org and customers. Your original post did not mention Risk Management. The results of risk management may create design inputs that must be acted upon.

Here's a somewhat dated FDA guidance document (circa 1997) that may be helpful
https://www.fda.gov/media/116573/download

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for being so broad, I am in the process of creating our design control procedure and these are the areas I am struggling with.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
I'll take the easiest one: The Device Master Record is the actual (controlled) recipe for a built device.
A Device History File will contain the information for a device (or lot) built per a DMR.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
To even make things broader than you may have imagined, as @William55401 pointed out, risk management (ISO 14971) drive additional inputs and outputs as well as other, relevant standards that you'd be wise to follow (e.g., IEC 62304 if you have software, IEC 62366 for usability, etc.).

I noticed you posted in the 3485 forum but asked questions of which some are FDA-specific (DHF and DMR are FDA terms - but they have equivalencies in ISO 13485).

duff999

Involved In Discussions
To even make things broader than you may have imagined, as @William55401 pointed out, risk management (ISO 14971) drive additional inputs and outputs as well as other, relevant standards that you'd be wise to follow (e.g., IEC 62304 if you have software, IEC 62366 for usability, etc.).

I noticed you posted in the 3485 forum but asked questions of which some are FDA-specific (DHF and DMR are FDA terms - but they have equivalencies in ISO 13485).
Thank you for the response and I will take your advice looking into the other standards mentioned. We are currently establishing our QMS, and I am at the design control stage and wanted to be sure I am looking at 13485 standards correctly.

silentmonkey

Involved In Discussions
Hi Duff,

There is an ISO13485 ANSI Guidance Document somewhere that explains the intent of each clause as well as examples of implementation. I strongly recommend getting your hands on this.

The inputs in your design model are actually your user needs which feed into your design inputs. The traditional design model as explained by the ISO 13485 ANSI Guidance Document is:

User Needs - business, marketing, stakeholders, customers, users, patients, regulatory, clinical
Design Input - what to design to meet user needs, can be categorised into system design, sub-system design (electrical, mechanical, software)
Design Output - what you have designed to meet design input (electrical schematics, mechanical drawings, specifications, software)
Verification - objective evidence to show Design Output meets Design Input
Validation - objective evidence to show end-product meets User Needs

Result = product has been designed that meets user needs.

Gisly

Starting to get Involved
How is your product development team working today? Are you following agile practices, SCRUM etc.? If yes, I would strongly recommend to look at the TIR45:

Guidance On The Use Of AGILE Practices In The Development Of Medical Device Software. Either way, I think (hope) you will find that you fulfil most of the requirements already and its more a matter of describing what you do. And ensure that you have in place adequate traceability as well as risk management (ISO14971), usability/human factors (62366), Cybersecurity etc. is part of your requirements inputs and design process. And if you do not have a test manager, consider assigning or recruiting one as this would make everything run smoother (to my experience).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Completing Design Controls after 510(k) Clearance Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
shimonv 'Beta testing' & Design Controls 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
V Design Controls for Combination Drug Product Manufacturer (ANDA) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Audit checklist for "Design Controls" per ISO 13485 wanted Internal Auditing 3
J The application of Design Controls to IVDs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
K Importance of Medical Device Accessory Design Controls Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
T 21 CFR Part 820.30 Design Controls for Class 1 Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
somashekar Exclusion of Design and Development Controls for Class 2B Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J Class II Medical Device Design Revision Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Design Controls - Requirements - Specification - Trace Matrix 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
L Does 820.30 Design Controls apply to Unclassified Device with 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
Ajit Basrur Design Controls for medical device exported from China China Medical Device Regulations 5
B What, if any, Design Controls are needed for a Class I manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Le Chiffre 510(k) Changes: More bench testing and stricter design controls? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Info needed for a 510k of a high-pressure line? Especially Design Controls 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
Q Exclusion of Design and Development Controls - ISO 13485 Section 1.2 Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
D Health Canada Class II devices - exempt from design controls? Section 7 of 13485 Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
R How to rank Detection for Existing Preventative design controls FMEA and Control Plans 7
C Medical Device: QSR and Clinical Trials and Design Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Design Traceability - Labelling / Instructions for Use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B How to exclude empty rows in full factorial design analysis? Using Minitab Software 0
M Handling design changes with use-as-is inventory disposition Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
S Examples of FDA acceptable Software Design Specification (SDS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
A Design Change/ECO Related Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Using R package to implement Bayesian phase I/II dose-finding design for three outcomes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C ISO 9001:2015 8.3.2. h) Design and Development Planning - What is required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Z Software for design control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
E Design and Development file Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
DuncanGibbons Section 8.3 relevant for design organisations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P DFMEA - Machinery Design Best Practices FMEA and Control Plans 0
R Is a FAIR required on parts that we design? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
U API Spec Q1 - 5.6.1.2 C (3) - Design software Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N Example for design and development planning,input,output,review,verification,validation and transfer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
A 8.6 Release of products and services, 8.3 Design and development - evidence required ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Stress / Challenge Conditions for Design Verification Testing to Reduce Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
J Significant change related to design and intended use EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Traceability of requirements to design and risk Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
U NOC - What is considered a "design change" EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q PPT used as Design Review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Design Verification Sample Size vs Repeats Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
A Design and development procedure for API Spec Q2 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
LostLouie Manufacturer divorced from Design process, is he justified in design process deficiencies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R DFA & DFM - Examples for Design for assembly and design for manufacturability Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
D Using Laboratory Notebooks in R&D and Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Joint approval between OEM and Manufacturer on Design Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M API 4F/7K/8C Design Package Validation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2