Design & Development of a SERVICE

lorenambrose

Quality Assurance Manager
I have really been struggling with how to apply the requirements of Design & Development to our service. We are at our core a service provider. Internet connectivity.

Would anybody have an example of a D&D procedure for a service that they could share? I would really like to see how others may have handled these requirements for a service.

Thanks,
Loren

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I have worked with some service companies including call centers. If you give some specific examples of the services you provide we may be able to help. "Internet connectivity" is just too broad.

I have seen the claim that services are not designed. I do not agree.

Last edited:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
In designing and developing your service your organization translated the needs of customers into service specifications.

You may have done this in accordance with a design plan which included specs for verifying and then validating each iteration of the design.

All design is iterative.

I accept that your organization may have evolved its internet connectivity services without following a formal design plan.

But going forward you’ll need a more rigorous approach to improve the performance of your service beyond what your competitors deliver.

Service design is a hot subject these days and there are many new text books. let me know and I will make some recommendations if you need them.

Meanwhile, here is a useful website on service design:

This is Service Design Doing — Book / School / Methods

lorenambrose

I have worked with some service companies including call centers. If you give some specific examples of the services you provide we may be able to help. "Internet connectivity" is just too broad.

I have seen the claim that services are not designed. I do not agree.

I totally agree that D&D applies to services. We are essentially providing internet service. That may seem broad, but that is what we do. We do not provide content, just the connectivity solution.

Marc

Leader
OK -So give us a description, such as your advertising claim(s) or statement of your services.

Network design? Equipment recommendations? Equipment installation?

lorenambrose

Our organization provides a wireless in-flight connectivity solution to the aviation industry. We have built a network and use a series of distribution partners to sell access to our network. The network is infrastructure. We as an org do nor provide any product installation services but there is on-aircraft hardware that is required (modem).

Marc

Leader
I seriously doubt you will find a 'canned' D&D procedure for your specific business. And your service will probably be different from typical IT connectivity services. Those are typically 2 way data connections and my bet is yours are more like a transmitter with the aircraft having a 'radio' of sorts which can pick up multiple radio stations. This, of course, a guess which I am a bit wary of because you say the plane has a modem. Modems are commonly thought of as 2 way data boxes.

OK - So, start out with an airline or aircraft manufacturer sending you a request for quote. From that you get their initial specs/customer requirements. Have you done, for example, a flow chart of the overall RFQ process? What departments are involved?

I assume you evaluate the aircraft electronic entertainment system and determine the integration requirements so that OK - They need a modem, they need an appropriate receiver, including at least 1 (probably more) antennas. I assume you are transmit only other than data handshakes and I assume there may not even be a traditional two-way data handshake in that your system is probably transmit only like satellite TV in a home in which the only 2 way transmission is over a phone line.

So - You need to know their hardware characteristics and interfaces. Your service is somewhat like designing an aftermarket automotive AM/FM/DVD/SatNav/etc.

I know you do really know what you do. All you have to do is document the process you go through to determine the aircraft infotainment system specifics and capabilities, and what outputs (transmissions) you provide.

Just a few thoughts off hand. I can not go any further because I don't know some basics which are probably company confidential.

lorenambrose

Actually we are providing a typical bi-directional in-flight internet connection. You can online game, surf the web, stream movies, send and receive an email, etc... literally anything you do on your computer at home.

I was just wondering if anyone had gone through this with a service organization. Manufacturing and D&D of products are quite easy. Problem is the standard has a bias towards tangible products but expects equal application for services and that is often a square peg - round hole sort of thing.

Marc

Leader
I was way off base, obviously. So you have an existing design. John's links will be the best solution to consider. I have worked with service companies but not in IT services.

Richard Regalado

Trusted Information Resource
Is this a free service or a paid service?
Some airlines may include this for their business section as a perk, but a paid service for coach.
These slight variations may entail D&D work.

If a paid service, the airline may want to offer:
- a one time fee for the entire duration of the flight
- a per hour charging

Again, D&D may apply.

Top Bottom