Design & Development of a SERVICE

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Two other ways of looking at this:

1. Every organization with customers delivers services and some services include a product.

and

2. Products delivered without valued services become a commodity.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Actually we are providing a typical bi-directional in-flight internet connection. You can online game, surf the web, stream movies, send and receive an email, etc... literally anything you do on your computer at home.

I was just wondering if anyone had gone through this with a service organisation. Manufacturing and D&D of products are quite easy. Problem is the standard has a bias towards tangible products but expects equal application for services and that is often a square peg - round hole sort of thing.
I believe your service design comes up from the selection of requirements based on the customers inputs.
Selection in terms of number of modems and type of modems​
Selection in terms of regions covered​
Selection in terms of speeds offered if you have variants.​
Selection in terms of making out the service offer agreements​
....any many more based on your technical input requirements.
All such of these requirements inputs you can analyse and make a form to be filled by the customer.
Based on this input, you can design the service deliverable, including the modem(s) and any other hardware like power supply for the modem etc., prepare a quote for the customer as well as draw up the necessary agreements documents for service offer with terms and conditions and any channel for conflict resolution.

Pretty much like what you do for your planning for service realisation. Only that here you are taking all the inputs to design your forms and agreements, terms and conditions of service.

You can see a good amount of overlap between service design and service providing, with the design validation happening after service delivery.
You will also see that complaints if any, give you opportunity to make changes in your service documentations (design changes)
Hope I have not confused you.. :)

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
....I was just wondering if anyone had gone through this with a service organization. Manufacturing and D&D of products are quite easy. Problem is the standard has a bias towards tangible products but expects equal application for services and that is often a square peg - round hole sort of thing.

What standard? ISO 9001?

What aspects of 9001 8.3 show a bias toward tangible products?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
What standard? ISO 9001?
I think this thread was originally started in the AS9100 Forum. Someone might have moved the thread to this forum now, but I believe that the context is AS9100.

What aspects of 9001 8.3 show a bias toward tangible products?
All of them. I've said it here a number of times that, despite the dogmatic position by the TC 176 SC2 people that 9001 applies universally, there are, to this day, aspects of 9001 that definitely have a manufacturing slant.

No world class service provider in the world develops their services using the 9001 8.3 approach. So, the OP is correct, she will have to demonstrate compliance of this aspect in a very artificial way, something to appease an auditor; unless, of course, she finds a CB that is willing to accept this section of AS9100 as non applicable and they can ignore it. It has been done in the past.

Top Bottom