Design exclusion - Service company that processes only customer supplied product

J

Jimmy

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum. I have read many of the existing threads, and therefore I know I am guaranteed some useful insight from the participants.

My question is regarding exclusions: specifically 7.3 Design.

I work for a service company that processes only customer supplied product.

I am quite comfortable with exluding design for product in terms of physical product.

I am not sure about designing "product" as it pertains to "service"

It seems to me that planning and identifying processes, measureable objectives and criteria for "product" will cover it.

I would appreciate any feedback.

thanks in advance,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Welcome and yes

Jimmy, welcome to the Cove.

To answer your question, in Clause 3 Terms and definitions, the standard says (reads): "Throughout the text of this Internaltional Standard, whereever the term "product" occurs, it can also mean "service"."

I take that to mean that if you are a service organization, and you design the service, then 7.3 applies to you. Does your organization write the specs for the process, if so then design would probably apply. You can find other threads where this has been covered in much detail.

J

Jimmy

It just seems a duplication of work to include it with design - when in my opinion it is part of contract review activities and quality management system planning.

My previous employment life was manufacturing, and design was very much a part of daily life. I suppose I am biased - and think that "service" doesn't fill well.

Thanks, for the quick feedback. I'll be sure to check out the other threads.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Can Design & Dev (7.3) Be An Exclusion For A Facilities-based Service Company? Service Industry Specific Topics 7
B Service Provider in NC Programing and Design - Exclusion clause in AS 9100 Rev C Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
Q Exclusion of clause 7 design sub clauses? Service Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Marc Design - Widget vs. Service - Exclusion? In Service operation design not addressed Design and Development of Products and Processes 26
optomist1 Design Exclusion, but now we might have an outsourced Product Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C IATF 16949 8.3 Exclusion - Manufacturing process design and development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Design and Development Exclusion Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
V Exclusion of 'Design and Development' from scope of certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
P Design exclusion in AS9100D for commercial products AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
P Design and Development Clause ISO 9001:2015 Exclusion for Medical Services Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
H IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3 - Design and Development Exclusion Question IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
4 Adding a new Company - ISO 9001 Design Exclusion Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
D IATF 16949 Design Exclusion Clauses which can be N/A IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I ISO 9001 Scope - Exclusion of Design in an engineered solutions company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
B AS9100 - Exclusion for 7.3 Design and Developement as we do not design AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Design and Development Procedure with Design Exclusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M TS16949 Design Exclusion when Design is done in a different Facility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P ISO9001 Scope Exclusion Verification in a Design Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
J Justification for Exclusion of Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A We do not design anything brand new from scratch - Design Exclusion? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D Consultancy company - ISO 9001 Implementation and Design Exclusion ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
somashekar Exclusion of Design and Development Controls for Class 2B Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Y Clarification on ISO 9001 - Exclusion of Design and Development, Clause 7.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A ISO 9001 Clauses 7.5.1 and 7.5.2 - Exclusion for Design Activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B ISO 13485 Class I Medical Device Design Exclusion ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Design and Development Exclusion - ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J ISO 13485 Requirements - Design Exclusion - Predicate Products Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Design and Development, Support parts - Clause 7.3 Exclusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Design Validation - Justifiable Exclusion for an Electrical Engineering Consultancy Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
A Can this be a case for Design and Development Exclusion ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 64
D Do we need to include ISO 9001 Clause 7.3? Design and Development Exclusion Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
S Design Exclusion - Drawings with Material Specifications from Outside Source AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 38
quality1 Sister Company makes Cables & Wires - Design & Development Exclusion Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
R Design and Development exclusion? We repair and refurbish electric motors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Design & Development in Food and Beverage Services - Permissible exclusion or not? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Casana Exclusion of 8.3 for Design only scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J TS 16949 - Design Exemption - Seeking a procedure/exclusion verbiage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Design: To claim exemption, or not to claim exemption (exclusion) Design and Development of Products and Processes 23
H Exclusion of Design and Development Requirements (7.3 & sub-clauses) in TS16949? Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
A Exclusion of Purchasing Process - Consumer Electronics Product Design House Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
J Design Exclusion for AS9100B and not ISO 9001 - 7.3 Design conflicts Design and Development of Products and Processes 16
M Exclusion of Design and Development - Construction and Renovation of Premises Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
Q Exclusion of Design and Development Controls - ISO 13485 Section 1.2 Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
D Company doesn?t design product - Exclusion of clause 7.3 Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
S EN AS 9100 Permissible Exclusion and Provision - Aerospace design and development Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C ISO 9001:2000 clause 7.3 Design & Development Exclusion - Collagen casing for sausage Design and Development of Products and Processes 19
I Design & Development - Exclusion of 7.3 - We Manufacture to Customer Prints Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
K Design & Development - Exclusion of Clause 7.3.6 - Design and Development Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
T TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2.1 - Product Design Skills Exclusion Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
B Design Exclusion Text - Will an auditor buy this? Design and Development of Products and Processes 14