Design responsibility for customized product per customer requirements

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
It always helps to provide as much information and context as possible if you seek meaningful answers. Asking a question with a short sentence leaves a lot to be guessed, leading to potentially unhelpful answers. Are you, by any chance, trying to determine if your QMS should address product design requirements? If so, against what standard? what type of product? what type of customization? Etc...

Design responsibility can be shared and co-owned between customers and suppliers. Sometimes, suppliers have partial responsibility towards product design.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Are you design responsible, if you customize products per your customers requirements?

Yes, change a design and you make yourselves design responsible. Likewise with customizing a product, beyond, perhaps, changing its color.

An unauthorized repair or acceptance of nonconforming product would also make your organization design responsible.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Yes, change a design and you make yourselves design responsible. Likewise with customizing a product, beyond, perhaps, changing its color.

An unauthorized repair or acceptance of nonconforming product would also make your organization design responsible.

From a legal or QMS standard perspective?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Both if I understand contract law, the law of torts, ISO 9001 cl 8.2.3.1d and cl 8.3.6 correctly.

But I'm not a lawyer.

My advice: obtain the approval of the design responsible organization of the proposed design change unless the customer can reasonably be expected to be competent and accepts responsibility for the customization.

Top Bottom