Design Review Checklist Format Example wanted

S

Sentinel

I'm looking at introducing a Design Review Checklist into the Company. I want to keep it fairly simple.

Does anybody use these? Are they a good idea? Has anybody got a format I could look at to start me in the right direction please?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Design Review Checklist

At a very generic level, you would confirm things like:

* Does the design fully 'consume' the requirements?
* Is the design verifiable?
* Is the design unambiguous?

Going too much further, I think you need to get into the design specifics (hardware, software, etc.).

G

Groo3

Oh ya, but we don't like to do these in a simple way :notme:. Our R&D group is offsite; they use a Microsoft Project template to take a marketing concept and review the feasability (lab trials that basically cover ISO 9001 requirements for 7.3.1 through 7.3.3, and where appropriate, 7.3.7), they also work with a phase-gate software to provide appropriate information for the gate-keepers.
Note - SteveK's D&D flow-chart is comparable to an abbreviated version of our R&D's Microsoft Project template.​

Once the R&D feasability is established, our corporate R&D management (one of the gate-keepers) reviews and determines whether or not to proceed with further development. If the green light is given to proceed, our site will become involved in the process at the scale up phase (pilot plant runs are done on a small scale, this basically covers 7.3.4 + 7.3.5, and where appropriate, 7.3.7), this phase is where we verify the design concept and complete site design review checklists... Once checklists are completed and another gate-approval made, we validate (7.3.6) in full scale production. After that is the final handoff from R&D to the site. After final handoff, 7.3.7 is managed via our management of change process.​

As for the content on your checklists, these will depend on the complexity of your site and products, as well as the departments that have a stake in your manufacturing?
  • Procurement? are there established suppliers? or do new suppliers need to be qualified? are they capable of supplying the material / quality needed? what about c of a's / samples / MSDS's, etc.​
  • Finance? how much will it cost to make the intended product? how much are the raws? do we require safety stock? etc.​
  • Quality? are target specifications established for the intended product? what about technical data sheets for the intended product?​
  • IT (computer)? are all electronic systems updated to allow the manufacture of the product? at each stage of the process? are unique product codes established? etc.​
  • Manufacturing? is the needed equipment already in place to make the intended product? is the process capable?​
  • Lab? are test methods established for the products / raws? are specifications available? what is the test method capability?​
  • Maintenance / Engineering? is new equipment involved? are appropriate controls available for the equipment? etc.​
  • EHS? What are the hazards / potential risks associated with the intended product? raw materials? process? Are MSDS's available for the products / raws? etc.​
  • Personnel? Will training need to be provided? probably if it is a new process, probably not if it is similar to existing processes...​
I would like to keep our process fairly simple too, but for us, the other departments involved in the process seem to keep adding items to the checklists... :2cents:

S

Sentinel

Thanks very much for the responses. I now have some ideas on putting a checklist together.

S

Sentinel

Thanks shocked.

Looks like a good form that could be tweaked to suit our business. A good front end document to enable a decision to be made as to the feasibility of a new product.

A

alexfeile318 - 2010

Hi Sentinal,

Not got a check list but do have a D & D Flow Chart (attached) which may help. Obviously it referes to my documentation/references.

Steve
Hi, steve,

I took a look at your flow chart.

I wonder if the whole product development process shall be cut into several phases. And I find there is no apperant design input in your flow chart, which i think is against regulation.

If you have time, i'd like to disscus this with you in details.

Alex:D

SteveK

Trusted Information Resource

Hi, steve,

I took a look at your flow chart.

I wonder if the whole product development process shall be cut into several phases. And I find there is no apparent design input in your flow chart, which i think is against regulation.

If you have time, I'd like to discuss this with you in details.

Alex:D
Hi Alex,

The design and development SOP covers all the design phases i.e.

Product realization
Assessment
Planning
D & D Inputs
D & D outputs
D & D review
D & D V & V
etc

So they all have to be covered - so it is basically a tick box exercise within a tick box chart.

Thanks for the concern. It has been tested out by a recent Technical File submission for a product (substantial) variant to our NB which was accepted.

Steve

K

kalyani.tanu

Re: Design Plan format example wanted

Hi,
I want to prepare a design plan for medical device equipment design & development

Kalyani

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Checklist for RA and QA Review of DVT (design verification test) for Software Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
T Design Review Checklist for an Electrical Engineering Consultancy Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C Design Transfer Review - Before or after PQ validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Does a CDR (Critical Design Review) have to have a moderator that is unconnected to the team? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
A What to expect in a Design Dossier Review for CE Marking by a Notified Body CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Annex II List A - Notified Body Fees - Design dossier review and batch release EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G ISO 14001 & Product Design Process Environmental Aspect Review Requirements ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 7
H How to make the Design Review Process Effective Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
H Form that will satisfy Design Review and Design Verification Requirements (7.3) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Please Review my Design and Development Plan Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
P How to separate Product Design Review, Verification, and Validation Activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
M 7.2.2 Review of Requirements Related to the Product (Design-Manufacturing Service) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M MHRA (Medical & Healthcare Regulatory Agency) Design Dossier Review Delays EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Time and Cost for a Notified Body to review a Design Dossier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Design and Development - Review vs. Verification vs. Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 15
U Medical Device Design Review Records Requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 16
kedarg6500 Manufacturing Process Design and Development Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Who should document the Design Review Meeting and Design History File? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A QSR (820.30 part e) Design Review and Design Control Responsibilities 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Manufacturing Process Design and Development Review - TS 16949 Clause 7.3.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S Design Review: Can I exclude Custom Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q ISO 9001:2008 - 7.3.7 - Review of Evaluation of Design and Development Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Design Review OR Design Change - Software development company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Supplier Design Review Worksheet from a customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
M Design Review/Dimensional Analysis feasibility program or spreadsheet? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Engineering Design Review minutes as Verification & Validation Records Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
J Design Review Participants - Medical Devices - Question Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
S Enhanced Design Review section - ISPE Commisioning and Qualification Guide Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
K Review of Design Dossier Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
B When is a Design Review required? - ISO9001:2000 Clause 7.3 Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
R Medical Device Product Requirements Document (PRD) a "Design Review"? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M Document Review Audit Findings - Design and Process Approach Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
P What results of a design review are documented in a DHF? Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
J DRBFM (Design Review Based on Failure Mode) - Toyota method Design and Development of Products and Processes 46
1 Design Review Process - Need a step by step methodology Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
H Design and Development Review 7.3.4 - Planned intervals for outputs and validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
Y ISO 9001 Design & Development - 7.3.4 Review, 7.3.5 Verify, 7.3.6 Validate Design and Development of Products and Processes 30
B Design - Simple System - ISO 9001 Clause 7.3 - Review vs. Verification vs. Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 12
Z Reliability and Maintainability Design Review Guidelines Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
Z Appropriate Content for Design Review Documents Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
K Design Review Checklists Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Design Review Documentation Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A Design Process Vs Design Control 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
DuncanGibbons How is the arrangement between Design and Production organisation envisaged? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4