Design Verification - Managing Changes

Hello Folks,

Wanted to know your opinion on the following scenario

I am in the middle of a design verification and found our that there are two different issues

1. A test failed because the requirement was written wrongly, instead of raising an alarm at 10 seconds, it raised at 20 seconds - but the correct requirement is indeed 20 seconds.

Now in my root cause analysis and resolution, i have to change my requirement to say 20 seconds AND amend the protocol - do I need to rerun my test again ? If the answer is No, then my dates of protocol will be "later" than my dates of execution. Will this be viewed as "fix the spec" than fix the design ?

If I do this, is there a potential design control violation ?

2. Similar as above case, (for a completely different requirement) but this time my protocol was written wrongly and test HAS completed execution and failed, due to a incorrect protocol. Do I just amend the protocol and refer to old results ?

Common sense says, yes - but is there any violation of quality requirements from FDA/CE perspective ?

thank you in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello Folks,

Wanted to know your opinion on the following scenario

I am in the middle of a design verification and found our that there are two different issues

1. A test failed because the requirement was written wrongly, instead of raising an alarm at 10 seconds, it raised at 20 seconds - but the correct requirement is indeed 20 seconds.

Now in my root cause analysis and resolution, i have to change my requirement to say 20 seconds AND amend the protocol - do I need to rerun my test again ? If the answer is No, then my dates of protocol will be "later" than my dates of execution. Will this be viewed as "fix the spec" than fix the design ?

If I do this, is there a potential design control violation ?

2. Similar as above case, (for a completely different requirement) but this time my protocol was written wrongly and test HAS completed execution and failed, due to a incorrect protocol. Do I just amend the protocol and refer to old results ?

Common sense says, yes - but is there any violation of quality requirements from FDA/CE perspective ?

thank you in advance!
James,

It seems to me that your design verifications have discovered a nonconformity in the spec writing process for which you need to take corrective action.

But the product design itself may fulfill the performance requirements, is that right?

Your design team's risk assessment should determine whether to proceed to design validation or to replan the design verification to start again.

John

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
To add on to John's post, ensure you establish the linkage across everything done. The issues should be tied to your NC / problem report and the problem report tied to the actions / corrections / rationale / justification.

Not being able to connect the dots is when things get uncomfortable.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Big factor in this is "How much does it cost?"

If it's a 20sec test...just rerun it and take the questions away.
If it means a line shutdown to trigger it, costing tens of thousands...do the paperwork again...
This is a cost/benefit decision...:2cents:
(assuming that a customer hasn't said otherwise)

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
For both of these situations, you create a deviation and explain what the change is and why it is acceptable. After you approve the report, you should go back and change the protocol if you ever plan to use it again. Do not modify the protocol, then attach old results.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D Design Verification - Is testing required? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
R Design Verification Documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
R Design verification for interim design outputs - sampling rationale ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Testing to failure for design verification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
D Supplied item design verification Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Ronen E A Rational Basis for Design Verification Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
V Which batches should or could be considered for design validation and design verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
R Medical Device Design verification sample prototype Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 14
E Sample size for design verification of variable in single use device Design and Development of Products and Processes 19
S Source of QMS templates including templates for design verification/design validation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Deviation in Design verification Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
V Using K-Factor(Tolerance Interval) Analysis for Design Verification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S CE Mark Approval Design Verification and Validation Questions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
V Template / format for Device History File & Design Verification of transdermal patch 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
H Is design verification and validation required for samples accompanying the quotes ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Pre-Design Verification - Using Continuous / Variables Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
W Qualification of Design Verification Equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P ISO9001 Scope Exclusion Verification in a Design Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M Design Verification: "Difference" in Sample Size Calculations? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Verification and Validation of Post Market Design Change Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
H Form that will satisfy Design Review and Design Verification Requirements (7.3) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Design Inputs and Verification Activities CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
R Need help on defining scope for Design Verification File for Class III IVD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
smryan Satisfying the ISO 9001:2008 7.3.5 Design & Development Verification requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
P How to separate Product Design Review, Verification, and Validation Activities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
Uriel Alejandro Trouble with a Mechanical Design Technical Verification Check List AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Design and Development Outputs Approval, Verification and Validation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A ?820.30(d) Design Output Release - Before or After Verification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
T DVP&R (Design Verification Plan and Report) for Vehicle Labels? APQP and PPAP 3
W Design History Verification Records Control and Approvals US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
G Legacy Product - Do we need follow QSR 820? Design Verification and Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
S Design and Development - Review vs. Verification vs. Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 15
S Acceptance Criteria at Design Verification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
G Sample Size for Design Verification and Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Chennaiite Is Design Verification Software required to be Calibrated IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Is Ship Test considered Design Verification or Design Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Design Input/Output and Design V&V (Verification and Validation) Interpretations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
D Medical Device Design Verification and Validation Differences 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
S Medical Devices Design Verification Sampling Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
S Checklist for RA and QA Review of DVT (design verification test) for Software Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Chennaiite Prototype - Design Verification or Validation? APQP and PPAP 12
A Sample Size for Design Verification (Prototype Testing) for Medical Devices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
I Cumulative Confidence Levels - Design Verification and Validation Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
S Medical Device Design Verification and Validation - info Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D Special 510k - Data Results of the Design Verification and Validation Other US Medical Device Regulations 3