Destructive Gage RR - Using Crossed - want your thoughts

S

speedworks

Hi, I am analyzing a Gage RR result, in a thermoforming process (plastic sheet run through a mold), and chose to select my part variation by selecting different mold cavities. I chose to have 10 parts, 3 ops, 2 repeats. The 10 parts (cavities) were selected from the mold that provided the most part variation. I chose cavities that produced the highest, lowest and in the middle range. I then made an assumption that each consecutive shot would represent a common part - ie, each cavity 3 for six consecutive shots represented the same part. So my repeats are created by consecutive cavities. I didn't select my parts until the machine had been stabilized (but recognize there could be some material variations). So, here is my question, since I am making the assumption that the 6 consecutive shots represent the same part (by cavity), I should be able to analyze the gage using a crossed method. By the way, the product is PET, and the test involves instron machines. Any thoughts or feedback? Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

speedworks

Hi Miner, I saw your posts, but I am not sure I agree. I think you can use a Crossed method, when the assumption is that you have created 'like' products (to represent the same part). The minitab statguide shows that as well. I think Nested is used when you can't set it up like that or make that assumption. Help me understand your thoughts on it. I too have been heavily involved with gage rrs and noticed you prefer only a nested analysis, but other searched have come up to similar thoughts of what I am suggested. Just want more insight. I also think using the different cavities is giving me my part to part.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I reviewed Minitab's StatGuide and found the guidance to which you referred. While I agree with the guidance in principle, you are applying it is a different mode from which it was intended. It could still work, but the assumptions depend heavily on whether the consecutive runs on a single cavity are indeed similar enough to claim that they are the same part. Do you have data that supports this assumption?

If I were running the analysis, I would run it using both approaches, compare the results and explore any differences. Since you appear to have Minitab and the effort involved in performing the Nested R&R is no different from the Crossed study, why are you reluctant to use it? The nested study is actually more sensitive than the crossed study if you assumptions are incorrect.

S

speedworks

I don't think I have it set up like a nested design, and am not sure it makes sense in my design. Nested would assume that 2 consecutive cavities are the same for one operator, and if that is the case, I should just assume that all 6 consecutive are the same. These are high speed machines, so the least amount of variation will come with that scenario.

S

speedworks

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the data, because this org has never done a gage RR; I'm new to the company and am bringing in opex tools and programs. Can't trust the data to see if it is the same anyway.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
your assumption that sequential part from the same cavity of a high speed injection molding process will be almost identical is a good assumption.

as with any assumption, only the data will tell you the truth. I have used this very approach for similar - and exact - situations and have performed the study as a crossed study. (but I always check the graphical results and put less emphasis on the statistic that is calculated...). When my assumption is wrong it is clear in the graph and I redo the study - or sometimes jus the analysis as nested...

Miner's point is well taken: perform the study and the analysis both ways. then you will see...

S

speedworks

Bev, thanks for more insight. The process is Thermoforming PET vs injection molding, but feel the assumption is valid. I did run it both ways, but I think I have it set up wrong in Mtb for the nested way, since I number each part the same (for each cavity). How would you do it otherwise?

Also, would like to hear your thoughts on what I should look at, at the results to determine if either is a better analysis.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
That is the issue. In Minitab, select File > Open Worksheet > Look in Minitab Sample Data Folder > Select GAGENEST.MTW > Open then look at how the parts are numbered in the worksheet.

In your example, number parts for operator 1 as 1 - 10, for operator 2 as 11 - 20, and for operator 3 as 21 - 30.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
T Destructive Tensile Test Sampling Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
K How to perform Verification for a Gage that is used in Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
E Destructive Pull Test Gage R&R advice needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
A Destructive Attribute (Crossed) Gage R&R - Need Help! Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O Destructive Attribute Gage R&R without LSL/USL Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B GR&R (Gage R&R) for Destructive Test - Question on how to? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
optomist1 MSA Gage R&R - Destructive Test with One Sided Specification and One Operator Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C Gage R&R Destructive UTS Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R MSA gage R&R (GR&R) for Destructive Test (Non-Replicable Data) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
N Destructive/Non-Repeatable Measurement Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
P Nested vs. Crossed Gage R&R Models for Destructive Tests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Part Variation, Unilateral Tolerance, Destructive Testing - Gage R&R Experts pls help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
R Destructive Attribute Gage Studies - inserted/pressed in parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T Gage R&R studies for Destructive Test Devices (pull and push tests) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Y Destructive Gage R&R Spreadsheet - Old MSA formula (5.15s) vs New formula (6s) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
F Gage R&R Destructive Test With Breakaway Fixture To Simulate A Part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
H Destructive Tensile Pull Test Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G Destructive test, gage R&R with one sided tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Destructive Testing GR&R (Gage R&R) - Track tester - JMP Program Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Gage R&R - Destructive Test - Tensile Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S How do I do Gage R&R in Destructive Testing? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Procedure on how to conduct a Destructive MSA (Gage R&R) for Force Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Gage R&R - Destructive Test - Pharmaceutical industry - Tablet hardness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R Gage R&R for a Destructive Test - Weld Breakout Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B We found a Gage R&R for Destructive Methods Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Destructive Gage R&R method for a glass factory study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B Gage R&R Destructive Tests - Tensile tester to check for paper strength Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O How to do Destructive Test Gage R&R - Rupture Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 28
T Interlaboratory comparison or proficiency testing in destructive testing of welded joints ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
M Identifying Technologies for Non Destructive Examination of steel brazed joints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Non-destructive testing methods are special processes? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
S Script of R software to conduct Nested GRR for Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S About NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) and ISO 17020 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
V Sampling Plan for Destructive Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Magnetic Particle Inspection Non-Destructive Testing Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Sampling plan for destructive tests on small lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
J Gauge R&R for Destructive Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R Destructive Non Reproducibility MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Manufacturing Process Validation Destructive Testing Sampling Plan Advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Critical Defect Destructive Testing Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Destructive Attribute MSA for Simple Water Leak Check in Trailers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Destructive Testing Failure Mode Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Samples for a Destructive Test included in a Lot Size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Destructive Test Sample Size Reduction Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S Looking for A Non-Destructive Crimp Test method to replace Pull Test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Destructive VTMV Subgroups - A Destructive Variable Test Method to Validate Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
E Sequence of Operations - Non-Destructive Testing vs. Trim & Drill Manufacturing and Related Processes 2