Destructive Testing MSA - Weld Bond Pull - Both destructive and non destructive

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Well, for complete MSA info we would need more data.

There's 1 'general' method akin to an R&R in intention (consideration of repeatability and reproducability) described near the end of the MSA presentation (if I remember correctly) in the pdf_files directory here.

Anyone want to go into details?

G

gcampbel

The test I am referring to is bond pull, both destructive and non destructive. We use ultrasonic bonders with aluminum wire and periodically we do a non destructive pull test and then on separate units, a destructive bond pull. I do not know how to measure repeatability or linearity in these two cases.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Use a test coupon, its the only way you can do it as a continuous process, short of dedicated bonders for product. Have been doing this for years for mil standard defense/space programs, as well as AS/QS and has been acceptable. I hear the frustration..been there, done that. that process does NOT fit the mold for SPC stuff at all.

T

Thanoo

How can I do in case I cannot find/use dummy coupon? Is it possible to use within Lot material to explain Repeatability and between Lot to explain Reproducibility?
What about your idea? Thanks for your idea.

Originally posted by barb butrym:
Use a test coupon, its the only way you can do it as a continuous process, short of dedicated bonders for product. Have been doing this for years for mil standard defense/space programs, as well as AS/QS and has been acceptable. I hear the frustration..been there, done that. that process does NOT fit the mold for SPC stuff at all.

Destructive measurement system analysis can be accomplished via SPC. You should referene "Evaluating the Measurement Process When Testing is Destructive" by Donald J. Wheeler and "EMP-Evaluating the Measurement Process", by Donald J. Wheeler and Richard W. Lyday. Both publications can be obtained from SPC Press, Inc. 615-584-5005

S

Spaceman Spiff

The best method I found for MSA on destructive testing is through using the ISOPlot method developed by Dr. Dorian Shainin (see www.shainin.com for information).

Basically, I would take 2 consecutive samples as a group and collect a total of 30 groups. Next I would use sample 1 of each group as Trial 1 and sample 2 of each group as Trial 2. Then I would plot Trial 1 versus Trial 2 and determine the discremination ratio. It is very similar to correlation, but the method of calculating discrimination ratio is the key to qualify the measurement system. There is a software to do this from Shainin (www.shainin.com/RedXTracker/).

Check it out!

D

dewie

MSA reference manual give some examples of approaches to MSA including single specimen. Let's see in Appendix D pp.107 and let's comment on that.

B

brentwahl

Destructive Testing (Case Study)

This may be of use. File attached on non replicable GRR Case Study.

The key is to use Nested ANOVA and have parts that you can at least assume (Pretend) to be homogenous and treat such as you are testing the same product.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Destructive Testing Measurement System Analysis (MSA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
W MSA for Destructive Testing - Tensile tester - Welding Processes Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Non-destructive testing methods are special processes? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
S Script of R software to conduct Nested GRR for Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S About NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) and ISO 17020 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
V Sampling Plan for Destructive Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Magnetic Particle Inspection Non-Destructive Testing Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
M Manufacturing Process Validation Destructive Testing Sampling Plan Advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Critical Defect Destructive Testing Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K How to perform Verification for a Gage that is used in Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Destructive Testing Failure Mode Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
E Sequence of Operations - Non-Destructive Testing vs. Trim & Drill Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Prices for NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) Inspection for a Boeing 737-400 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Performance Qualification For Destructive Testing (Impact Testing) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
C Batch Acceptance: Cpk requirements and Sample Size - Destructive Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Part Variation, Unilateral Tolerance, Destructive Testing - Gage R&R Experts pls help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
hogheavenfarm Cyclic Destructive Testing - Continuous vs. Segments Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
R Non Destructive Testing of plain Carbon steel castings using Eddy Current Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
E Sampling Plan for Destructive Testing - Personal Body Armor Plates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
B Destructive Testing GR&R (Gage R&R) - Track tester - JMP Program Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) - How I can get at least Level 1 certified? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
L Powder used to make neodymium magnets - GR&R for destructive testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Destructive Testing with respect to PPAP submissions APQP and PPAP 4
Darius 76/211/EEC 2.3.3.1 Criteria for Non-Destructive Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S How do I do Gage R&R in Destructive Testing? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Destructive testing: How to determine starting level in Bruceton test? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
M Identifying Technologies for Non Destructive Examination of steel brazed joints Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
C Sampling plan for destructive tests on small lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
S Destructive Gage RR - Using Crossed - want your thoughts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
T Destructive Tensile Test Sampling Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
J Gauge R&R for Destructive Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R Destructive Non Reproducibility MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
S Destructive Attribute MSA for Simple Water Leak Check in Trailers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Samples for a Destructive Test included in a Lot Size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
E Destructive Pull Test Gage R&R advice needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
A Destructive Test Sample Size Reduction Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A Destructive Attribute (Crossed) Gage R&R - Need Help! Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O Destructive Attribute Gage R&R without LSL/USL Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Looking for A Non-Destructive Crimp Test method to replace Pull Test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Destructive VTMV Subgroups - A Destructive Variable Test Method to Validate Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
B GR&R (Gage R&R) for Destructive Test - Question on how to? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
optomist1 MSA Gage R&R - Destructive Test with One Sided Specification and One Operator Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C Gage R&R Destructive UTS Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A Destructive Test Sample Size Determination Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
C "Destructive" Linearity Study Methodology Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M What Sample Size for Destructive Test and is 'T' Test applicable? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R MSA gage R&R (GR&R) for Destructive Test (Non-Replicable Data) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
N Destructive/Non-Repeatable Measurement Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4