Detection Rating in Design FMEAs (DFMEA)

G

Geoff Lee

Detection Rating d-FMEA

I am implementing FMEA in design and development of appliances. I find Occurence ratings to be fairly self-explanatory. Also, Severity ratings seem to be described in understandable terms; degrees of performance degradation, operability, dissatisfaction of user, hazard etc. These enable a group to fairly readily reach consensus on ratings.

However, most Detection rating scales are less helpful. They tend to have a few distinctive descriptions at the extremes of the scale, for example 1="can be corrected prior to prototype", 10="None" etc. However, for the main part, they seem to have a sliding scale from, for example, 8="lowest effectiveness" to 2="highest effectiveness". Such sliding scales do not lead to ready consensus amongst an FMEA team. Nor, as a leader, can I provide effective guidance on where a particular method might lie on such a scale.

It seems to me that a Detection method should have several characteristics:
1 ability to detect whether the failure mode does occur
2 verify what causes it
3 determine its level of occurence (i.e. provide a degree of confidence in the Occurence rating)

So, I would hope that a set of Detection scale descriptions could be generated which might be framed in these, or similar, terms. For example, we might have:
1="Proven detection of failure mode from all causes, with accurate measure of occurence"
5="Detects failure mode in most cases, provides good guidance on occurence"

Does anyone know of any such Detection scales or have any comments on this issue?

Thanks,
Geoff

:eek:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

chalapathi

Geoff Lee said:
I am implementing FMEA in design and development of appliances. I find Occurence ratings to be fairly self-explanatory. Also, Severity ratings seem to be described in understandable terms; degrees of performance degradation, operability, dissatisfaction of user, hazard etc. These enable a group to fairly readily reach consensus on ratings.

However, most Detection rating scales are less helpful. They tend to have a few distinctive descriptions at the extremes of the scale, for example 1="can be corrected prior to prototype", 10="None" etc. However, for the main part, they seem to have a sliding scale from, for example, 8="lowest effectiveness" to 2="highest effectiveness". Such sliding scales do not lead to ready consensus amongst an FMEA team. Nor, as a leader, can I provide effective guidance on where a particular method might lie on such a scale.

It seems to me that a Detection method should have several characteristics:
1 ability to detect whether the failure mode does occur
2 verify what causes it
3 determine its level of occurence (i.e. provide a degree of confidence in the Occurence rating)

So, I would hope that a set of Detection scale descriptions could be generated which might be framed in these, or similar, terms. For example, we might have:
1="Proven detection of failure mode from all causes, with accurate measure of occurence"
5="Detects failure mode in most cases, provides good guidance on occurence"

Does anyone know of any such Detection scales or have any comments on this issue?

Thanks,
Geoff

:eek:
Basically, all design validations and verifications come under detection methods. Detection method is one which will catch the error/mistake of the designer. The Detection rating (1-10) is about how effective the detection method with the current detection methods. For example, if the designer has selected a wrong material for a component. It is lead to reliablity failure in the long-run. How effective are the validation trial to detect this mistake. In the prototype stage you may be running for let us say 50 hours. It can catch some limited mistakes. May be this wrong selection of material may fail after 100 hours. There is a remote chance of detecting this mistake.

Detection rating will be less, if the effectiveness is very high and 10 if the mistake can not be detected in the validation stage.

This is my experience about the detection rating. You can develop guidelines based on this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
Sean Kelley FMEA Visual Inspection Detection Rating FMEA and Control Plans 5
A PFMEA (Process FMEA) Detection Rating - Actions to Reduce RPN FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Detection Rating in PFMEA and Process Controls FMEA and Control Plans 6
Q FMEA: Visual Detection Rating IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
Chennaiite PFMEA rating - Occurence Rating and Detection Rating - Some clarification FMEA and Control Plans 15
I FMEA Detection Rating - What is Soft or Hard? FMEA and Control Plans 7
V Detection rating for visual inspection in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 19
P The Origin of the FMEA Detection Rating FMEA and Control Plans 7
M PFMEA Detection Rating for Operator Hazards FMEA and Control Plans 5
J DFMEA SOD Rating Scale - Severity, Occurance, and Detection FMEA and Control Plans 1
F pFMEA Detection Rating Scale - No automated inspections FMEA and Control Plans 5
E FMEA Severity, Occurrence, and Detection Rating - I am in need of some examples FMEA and Control Plans 19
G Assignation of RPN rating (Detection) on Visual Inspection where subsequent operation FMEA and Control Plans 18
J PFMEA Controls - Rating Prevention, Detection and Occurrance FMEA and Control Plans 10
A Does the Detection rating have anything to do with Prevention? FMEA and Control Plans 3
T Annual Validation as a detection mode on a PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 5
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
A Literature review/HACCP validation of metal detection Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
B Detection of Orange peel Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
S Are Defibrillator Protection and Pacemaker pulse detection features mandatory as per IEC 60601-2-25 or 2-27...? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
D How to fill a Process FMEA - Three columns - Severity, occurrence and Detection FMEA and Control Plans 16
R DFMEA Severity 9-10 with Occurrence 3 and Detection 3 - Actions FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Creating together Standard Definition for Prevention and Detection FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Q PFMEA Scope and Detection Controls FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Signal Detection-If Ppk>1, compare measurement system to process. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Environmental Gas Leak Detection Equipment Recomendations Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
J Control Chart Pattern Detection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Changing FMEA template to include Detection Ranking for the PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 2
C How to evaluate the Detection Ranking of a new Design Control FMEA and Control Plans 1
C Poka Yoke and FMEA Detection Ranking FMEA and Control Plans 3
K 4th Edition AIAG FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria for Plastics FMEA and Control Plans 1
Z PFMEA Detection Controls and Ranking - Prevent Shipment FMEA and Control Plans 3
S PCR suitable for detection of Salmonella Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
J Moisture Detection and Measurement in Vacuum Oven (Plastic Dryness) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E MSA of Attribute Gauges Signal Detection Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B Calibrate Hole Presence Detection Device? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T Root Cause - The difference between Occurence and Detection Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
G Determining the "Detection" Number Component of the FMEA RPN FMEA and Control Plans 5
X Computer-Aided Detection for Mammography - Class A, B or C? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
K Are 'Work Instructions' a Detection Control or Prevention Control? FMEA and Control Plans 8
P Removing Detection from DFMEA - Medical Device company using ISO 13485 FMEA and Control Plans 3
G ISO Registrars/CBs citing for use of "Detection" in Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 27
R FMEA Detection Ranking for Testing Machines FMEA and Control Plans 8
S WEC/Nelson Detection Rules: Must process be in control? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1