Determing Machine Capability in a High Mix, Low Volume Sheet Metal Shop

B

Bruckim

I've been assigned to turn around a sheet metal forming shop. Most the the equipment is rather old (+25 years in service) and a lot of the work is performed by tribal knowledge.

We have many pieces of equipment (Shears, back presses amd turrets) that are know trying to cut and form sheet metal blanks and assemblies to a +/- 0.015 inch tolerance.

What I need to do is quickly determin if the equipment at hand is capable to repeatability produce product at the specification needed.

My problem it is very very difficult to break into the production and run 30-50 test panels to perform capability tests.

My question, since we are running extensive components with the +/- 0.015 requirements, can I just measure the deviation from nominal to everything thats being produced and use the deviation from nominal to perform the capability studies?

One issue, is the data is not normal in distribution. Second, I would have both positive and negative numbers to workd with in respect fro niminal.

Looking for advice, comments, suggestions and a general opinion if this is statistically valid approach.

Please help, I am under a tight deadline and I will be very greatful for any and all constructive advice.:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Determing machine capability in a high mix, low volume environment (Sheet Metal S

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

Thank you very much!

M

MikeSeymourAtl

Re: Determing machine capability in a high mix, low volume environment (Sheet Metal S

Bruckim,

I think I've been in that shop! If not, then one very much like it. We ran metal fabrication in sets of several hundred, using machines of similar vintage. Work instructions that said things like "See Bobby". With a team effort, we did find our way.
I feel like I can speak to the shear question. For the most part, a sheared blank is a sheared blank. So, I would be inclined to look at the machine capability across several jobs. However - be mindful of factors. Group the jobs by "type". For instance, light gage, medium gage, heavy gage. Large blanks, medium blanks, small blanks. Also, look at how the setups are done. The setup person might use one type of setup for a certain set of jobs, and another methodology for another set.

Also, think of Paereto. If the shear is currently producing blanks that are good enough, and the next process down the line is happy with what they are getting from the shear, let that one be lesser priority. What I'm suggesting is that perhaps the shear experts are getting it done, and if they aren't going anywhere tomorrow, let them keep going for now. Focus your efforts on the areas of greatest need.
Good luck Fireman!

C

Curtis317

Mike S makes some good points. Most of what I have to say is what I learned during a short run SPC class I took some time ago. Yes perform your capability based on the tolerance not the part. Identify a characteristic that is the same across all parts with the same tolerance. then establish your capability around how that machine meets that tolerance. Whether or not the data is "normal" is another discussion. As long as it does not deviate from normal ie. skewed significantly it should not be a problem.

Good Luck

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
In addition to the prior comments regarding your proposal, plot the standard deviation versus actual size. In some situations, the standard deviation may increase with size.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Guidelines in writing an audit report and determing the best auditor General Auditing Discussions 11
P Validation Methods of Machine learning and Artificial intelligence Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 9
Ashland78 PPAP required for repair of machine? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning and 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
H Machine Malfunction & Operator Errors Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 14
was named killer Wire Bonding Machine Provider Approved Vendor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Machine rebuilds versus process re-validation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Calibration Interval calculation for ECG Machine Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
H FAI Requirement After Moving CNC Machine? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
H Traceability after changing the machine IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
K Screen printing ink and machine selection_ Need help Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Minimum Distance from Floor to Underneath of Machine Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 5
K PMA vs 510(k) for Mammography Machine US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
E Tensile test machine, tinius olsen 602 Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Class II type machine , and its compliance with 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 14
B SOP for CNC turret punching machine for sheet metal process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S Any ISO standards around Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
K Machine Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
H Software Validation for FFS Packaging Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Determining if an Insulin Pen Testing Machine is a Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K Regulatory requirement of SaMD with machine learning component IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
B IQ/OQ/PQ of CNC Milling Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
R Machine directory (2006/42/EEC) is applicable or not Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Marc The German Enigma Machine of World War II After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
GreatNate Qualifying a CNC machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Machine Verification Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
GoSpeedRacer Veterinary anesthesia machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
K Mammography Machine Bench Testing - FDA 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
J Extent of Validation - New machine installed in manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
P Average access height into an industrial machine (average base plate height) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
B Machine process sheet requirements for pill bottling operation Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
B Does EMC Directive 2014/30/EU cease to apply when the Machine Directive 2006/42/EC is applicable? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D 4M (Man, machine, method, materials) Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 3