Determining if two different X's have any Statistical Significance on the Y's

M

Meteor

Hi,

I have the task to analyse the data to determine if two different X's have any statistical significance on the Y's. By means of systematic sampling we have 100 data points for each of the following variables - Y's (like concentricity, outer thickness of the disc, outer diameter of the disc) and the X's are temp & time.
Please let me know what tools I could use to analyse the data to establish that there either exists a significance or not ,between the variables.

Thanks!

Reluctance

Involved In Discussions
Re: Statistical significance

Could you provide more definition to what sort of "tools" you are looking for?

Are you looking for suggestions of software (Minitab, JMP, SAS, etc)?
Or are you looking for suggestions of analysis methods (correlation, ANOVA, etc.)?

Software preference may already be decided by what you have available, but you have not specified.

I am sure others may also add that there is not much information provided in your post to really provide a good recommendation for which analysis method to use.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

The main tools for this type of data are: scatterplots between the variables, correlation and multiple regression.

It is very important to remember that when you passively collect data, you have not proven causation between statistically significant correlated variables. If you see a significant relationship, you still must prove the causal relationship. This means that you must deliberately change the x variable and see a corresponding change in the Y.

M

Meteor

Hi,

I would be using Minitab. by tools I meant analysis methods.

Thanks!

M

Meteor

Hi,

A big thanks to miner and reluctance. Your suggestions helped a lot in successfully completing my assignment.

Regards,
Auro

Top Bottom