Determining MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Frequency

F

Forrest

MSA Frequency

At what frequency should the MSA be repeated?
Our QS 9000 auditor (UL) has ask this question, & we do not have a stated frequency for repeating MSA.
Can anyone provide guidelines or suggestions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Typically once a year or any time a change is made which will affect the gage or whatever.

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Atul,

We have over 2,000 variable gauges on site, to do GR&R studies on all of them once a year is an impossible task.

We handle the problem by working to an 'audit schedule' where each TYPE of gauge is reviewed at least once per year. The gauge to be reviewed for the audit period is selected at random.

We also carry out two GR&R studies as part of our 6 Sigma projects. These are over and above the one carried out as per the schedule.

Geoff

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Atul Khandekar:

Shouldn't you conduct R&R after every calibration?
You really have to look at the over all use of the gage, its stability and such. For example - If you have a fairly stable gage and your cal cycle is every 6 months I'm not sure an R&R after each calibration will buy you anything. The R&R should not change after a calibration. If you wanted some useful info, you might do an R&R just after a calibration and then another one just prior to the next calibration.

Are you currently doing an R&R after every calibration?

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Geoff , Marc

Yes, i would like to agree with what you are saying.

Actually, i'd much prefer to calibrate an instrument based on stability study. And since calibraton involves some adjustments to the instrument, i thought r&r is in order.

I have come across customers who insist on submitting r&r results with each consignment.
I am not sure if 'Audit Cycles' would be acceptable to them.

So, the original question remains:
- At what frequency should the MSA be repeated?

Are there any definitive guidelines? At least any thumb rules?

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
MSA Frequency

Hi folks!
I've read another thread on this subject from last year, but the question wasn't really answered. So I thought I'd ask the same question. http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1073

I've looked in the AIAG MSA book and haven't found anything definitive.

The problem I have is that a supplier to us has submitted an MSA for a gauge, and the study was performed in March 1992. In my opinion this isn't acceptable, but I can't really ask them to do it more frequently because in theory this may be acceptable to them (as they know the gauge).

But a 9 year frequeny for an MSA study is a bit excessive.

Does anybody have anthing substantive on this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Al Dyer

Suart,

Not all that much definitive direction here, just a comment.

Stability is the measure of bias over time. My question to the supplier would be: How can you prove the stability of the gage over time if you have not performed any studies in ten years?

Sounds to me like the supplier is trying to get around the intent of the process. (please slap me for using the "I" word)

As the customer, you hold the big stick, depending on how big the supplier is!

ASD...

Stuart Andrews

Involved - Posts
Thanks Al!

Have you any thoughts on why such an important measuring tool has been left open ended?

What do the "Big 3" do? I find it surprising that guidelines for assuring stability over time aren't stipulated in the QS manuals?

Would you think 2 years would be acceptable?

Any thoughts people?

A

Al Dyer

Originally posted by Stuart Andrews
Thanks Al!

Have you any thoughts on why such an important measuring tool has been left open ended?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What do the "Big 3" do? I find it surprising that guidelines for assuring stability over time aren't stipulated in the QS manuals?
That's why I used the evil "I" word ;)

Would you think 2 years would be acceptable?
Just a personal opinion, but I believe that stability studies should be ongoing for the life of the gage. Of course cost comes into play and I would have different frequencies for a CMM and a set of calipers. Much of it is also based on amount of use, If I use a gage every hour every day I would have tighter frequency that a gage that I use 3 times a year. Unfortunately a very subjective topic and as always, your customer will have their own views that should probably be resolved during contract review or product realization.

Any thoughts people?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Determining how many measurement devices need gage R&R? MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
G Crossed and Nested MSA - Determining Components of Variation Using Minitab Software 6
S Determining MSA Bias in Automatic Test Equipment for Electronics Modules Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
B Determining SAT Offsets vs TUS Offsets per SAE AMS 2750E AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
B Determining sample size for device sterility Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification' AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Clause 8.2.2 Determining the requirements for products and services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
V Determining FDA 820 (registration) vs ISO 13485 - Supplier gives us the kit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J ISO 9001 8.4.1 - Determining controls applied to externally provided processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Determining what is good and what is bad can be subjective - when is it a quality issue? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
M Determining number of employees within the "Scope" of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Determining the Scope of the QMS during Stage 1? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
W Minor Audit Nonconformance Against Determining the scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
D Determining Critical Components for conformity with IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 21
Q ISO 9001, section 4.3 Determining the scope of our QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Determining Sample Size for Medical Device Component Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
A What does 8.2.2.1, Determining the requirements related to products and services,mean IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Determining Retention Period for Medical Device QMS documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Surveillance Sampling Test - Determining Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
F ISO 9001:2015 4.3 - Determining the scope of the quality management system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B Standards Needed In House - Determining what standards are applicable Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
W Determining Medical Device Classification in Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
K Determining Effect of Failure without a DFMEA (Design FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 1
W Determining the Status and Importance of the Processes and Areas to be Audited Internal Auditing 7
T Determining Customer Requirements for the US Postal Service (USPS) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Crimpshrine13 Rules of achieving and maintaining IATF recognition - Determining audit days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Developing procedure for Determining Company's Context And Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 53
W Determining Asset Life or Depreciation Life for M&TE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Reason for determining no adverse effect on reworked product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N Procedure for determining pinhole position in condom Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
alonFAI Determining PCBA Xray Test Sampling Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Determining sample size for inspection to achieve x% confidence re defects Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
S Determining Sample Size - AQL & LQ AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 10
R Determining the feasibility/scope for FDA IQ/OQ against a very simple application US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
B Determining the "storage volume" (ISO 8536-8:2004 clause 6.14) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
N Procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
B Bayes Success-Run on Attribute Data - Determining Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
H Determining Takt Time in Metal Stamping Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
J Determining if there is Tin Plating on an Aluminum Bar Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Determining PFMEA Severity for Armored Parts FMEA and Control Plans 5
E Correlated data or not? Determining the significance of differences in means Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3