Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification'

Hi, guys
I need your expertise for the issue I have with respect to getting the justification on the sample size of OQ
I plan on performing Tensile strength testing after some proccess. I have no idea how many samples are needed.
There are more than 3 parameters on the process,
If I need 3-5 samples for each experiment , it would be more than 200 samples depending on the combination of parameters.
I don't think the sample size for the OQ does matter. The IQ and OQ are really about the equipment. It's very inefficient and costly,

but I can't find any rationale for sample size of OQ
Any help for sample sizes for a OQ would be appreciated.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
What I've seen in cases you describe is to use OQ to tune in the parameters that get you the best result (and establish the bounds of the parameters) and then do a PQ with those parameters (typically 3 runs). So sample size on OQ isn't critical in this approach but you still have to determine run size and sampling rationale on PQ.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
OQ is not intended to tune-in the parameters. it is intended to validate (or qualify, which is what the Q stands for in OQ) that the parameter settings (input specifications) will produce acceptable parts. The sample sizes may be small or large depending on the type of product and the study design. The sample size does matter. However, since you are typically running at the settings that will produce results at the max and the min of the output specifications (largest/smallest fastest/slowest, hardest/softest, etc) you can typically use continuous data statistics to determine the sample size, remembering that you are not trying to estimate an average or a standard deviation, you are trying to determine if the results are within spec. Of course if you are dealing with pure categorical data sample sizes will be higher.

It is typically not required to run every combination of the settings, only those that will produce the minimum and maximum results. Of course to do this you must understand the physics of the process...

OQ is not intended to tune-in the parameters. it is intended to validate (or qualify, which is what the Q stands for in OQ) that the parameter settings (input specifications) will produce acceptable parts. The sample sizes may be small or large depending on the type of product and the study design. The sample size does matter. However, since you are typically running at the settings that will produce results at the max and the min of the output specifications (largest/smallest fastest/slowest, hardest/softest, etc) you can typically use continuous data statistics to determine the sample size, remembering that you are not trying to estimate an average or a standard deviation, you are trying to determine if the results are within spec. Of course if you are dealing with pure categorical data sample sizes will be higher.

It is typically not required to run every combination of the settings, only those that will produce the minimum and maximum results. Of course to do this you must understand the physics of the process...

Hi Bev D,
Thanks for your help
Where can I find detailed references or information about this

"It is typically not required to run every combination of the settings, only those that will produce the minimum and maximum results."

I really appreciate your help

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Determining sample size for device sterility Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R Determining Sample Size for Medical Device Component Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S Surveillance Sampling Test - Determining Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Determining sample size for inspection to achieve x% confidence re defects Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
S Determining Sample Size - AQL & LQ AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 10
B Bayes Success-Run on Attribute Data - Determining Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Determining Sample Size in Design V&V activities 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 44
G Determining Sample Size for Equipment Qualification Studies Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
D Determining Sample Size for Capability in Six Sigma Project Six Sigma 5
H Determining the Correct Sample Size when AQL points to two Sample Sizes AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
L Determining Cpk based on a given Sample Size, Confidence Level, & Reliability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Determining Sample Size needed for Operational Qualification (OQ) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 24
T Determining the appropriate Sample Size using an AQL Table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 29
J Functional Test Sampling - Determining Sample Size to eliminate 100% Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
W Sampling Plan problem - Determining Sample Size for both Attribute and Variables Data ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Determining the Total Sample Size using AQL - AQL Lot Quantity question AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
1 Determining AQL and Sample Plan - Batch size is from 1-500 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 24
E Determining Sample Size for Design Verification and Design Validation Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
N Auditing Proof of Delivery signed by the customer - Determining Sample Size General Auditing Discussions 6
P Determining Sample Size - Filling a bag with three different types of candy Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 31
Q Determining Sample Size for FDA Verification and Validation Activities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 41
D Determining sample size required based on a 95% confidence level Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
B Determining sample size for drop test and waterproof testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
T Determining Receiving Inspection Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
N Determining Sample Size for Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Internal Audit Sampling Plans - Determining Internal Audit Sample Size Internal Auditing 45
Q Determining the Appropriate Sample Size for Process Validation/Qualification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
T Using Cpk for the purpose of determining sample size/frequencies Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
G Determining Sample Size and Frequency for Features on Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 8
R Determining Sample Sizes for Testing (Chemistry or Microbiology) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
B Selecting a Sample and Determining the Reference Value for a Bias Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
B Determining SAT Offsets vs TUS Offsets per SAE AMS 2750E AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Clause 8.2.2 Determining the requirements for products and services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
V Determining FDA 820 (registration) vs ISO 13485 - Supplier gives us the kit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J ISO 9001 8.4.1 - Determining controls applied to externally provided processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Determining what is good and what is bad can be subjective - when is it a quality issue? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
M Determining number of employees within the "Scope" of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Determining the Scope of the QMS during Stage 1? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
W Minor Audit Nonconformance Against Determining the scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
D Determining Critical Components for conformity with IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 21