Determining PFMEA Severity for Armored Parts

C

cavrdave

It's a pFMEA for the packing of armored and non-armored parts. Some of the armor parts cover a portion of another armored part.

If the armored parts are missing what would the "severity" ranking be?

The customer wants it to be high (10, they could die w/o warning). My argument is you wouldn't be able to build the product without the missing part right? Therefore the ranking would be for the manufacturing side of ranking the score is what I'm thinking.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

SvanRaay

Maybe this is a bit simplistic, but if you counter the severity rating with the opposite for detectability you should be able to move on. Basically it would be a catastrophic failure without the part, but since you cant make the assembly without it, the detectability would be high.

im sure i must have missed something though.

C

cavrdave

It's a part that covers a seam where two parts come together. So yes they could put the two parts on and the cover piece. The cover piece is held in place using the holes of the piece underneath it. I'm thinking if they weighed the box after packaging that would catch if any parts were missing.

GRP

Involved In Discussions
It's a part that covers a seam where two parts come together. So yes they could put the two parts on and the cover piece. The cover piece is held in place using the holes of the piece underneath it. I'm thinking if they weighed the box after packaging that would catch if any parts were missing.
Years later, aye, but for the sake of good discussions.

No. Severity is independent of occurrence and detection. At least in the automotive industry, as per SAE standard and other guidelines.

If you cannot produce the part, the severity remains 10, but the occurrence will be 1, and detection might be also 1.

If you want to reduce the severity this should be tackled by a design change.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Cavrdave is correct - the severity of the POTENTIAL failure is not related to the occurrence and detection. Missing armour would (in my opinion) definitely be a 10.

As for being unable to assemble without it, I have seen some pretty weird assemblies over the years - people find a work-around for almost anything.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
Agree with all the statements above. Just because something is unlikely (occurrence) it doesn't mean it wouldn't be catastrophic if it actually were to happen.

Is it possible to build your item without it? If so, how easy is it to detect? How would you detect it, visual inspection only? From my experience, it's the things that happen very, very, rarely that are so easy to missed with visual inspection. We get so used to it being there, we can overlook it. So long story short, if severity is high (and in this case i would agree it is), and you rely on visual inspection, maybe a process improvement is worth looking into. Even if just looking at feasibility. Just my 2 cents!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Determining the the maximum number of reprocessing cycles of attachments CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
B Determining SAT Offsets vs TUS Offsets per SAE AMS 2750E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
B Determining sample size for device sterility Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Determining of sample size for 'Operational Qualification' AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Clause 8.2.2 Determining the requirements for products and services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
V Determining FDA 820 (registration) vs ISO 13485 - Supplier gives us the kit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J ISO 9001 8.4.1 - Determining controls applied to externally provided processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
E Determining what is good and what is bad can be subjective - when is it a quality issue? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
F Determining what type of scrap to include in my internal PPM calculation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
M Determining number of employees within the "Scope" of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Determining the Scope of the QMS during Stage 1? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
W Minor Audit Nonconformance Against Determining the scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
D Determining Critical Components for conformity with IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 21
Q ISO 9001, section 4.3 Determining the scope of our QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Determining Sample Size for Medical Device Component Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
A What does 8.2.2.1, Determining the requirements related to products and services,mean IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Determining Retention Period for Medical Device QMS documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Surveillance Sampling Test - Determining Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
F ISO 9001:2015 4.3 - Determining the scope of the quality management system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B Standards Needed In House - Determining what standards are applicable Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
W Determining Medical Device Classification in Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
K Determining Effect of Failure without a DFMEA (Design FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 1
W Determining the Status and Importance of the Processes and Areas to be Audited Internal Auditing 7
T Determining Customer Requirements for the US Postal Service (USPS) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Crimpshrine13 Rules of achieving and maintaining IATF recognition - Determining audit days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Developing procedure for Determining Company's Context And Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 53
W Determining Asset Life or Depreciation Life for M&TE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Reason for determining no adverse effect on reworked product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N Procedure for determining pinhole position in condom Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
alonFAI Determining PCBA Xray Test Sampling Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Determining sample size for inspection to achieve x% confidence re defects Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
S Determining Sample Size - AQL & LQ AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 10
R Determining the feasibility/scope for FDA IQ/OQ against a very simple application US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
B Determining the "storage volume" (ISO 8536-8:2004 clause 6.14) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
N Procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
B Bayes Success-Run on Attribute Data - Determining Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
H Determining Takt Time in Metal Stamping Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
J Determining if there is Tin Plating on an Aluminum Bar Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
E Correlated data or not? Determining the significance of differences in means Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
T Determining What to Test - Prop 65 Testing RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2