Developing a QMS in accordance with ISO 29001 for Oil & Gas

gdn47

Inactive Registered Visitor
Has anyone been involved in developing a QMS in accordance with ISO 29001, the sector specific standard for the oil and gas industry? It was issued in November 2003. Another point that interests me is if a Company applies for accreditation to 29001 and does not satisfy the requirements but do satisfy 9001 requirements, can they request the accreditation body to accredit them to 9001?

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
This is a new on to me. I did see this (as general information for everyone):
Quality in the petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industry: ISO 29001 is a guidance document for companies within petroleum and related industries on how to implement ISO 9001. A company's eventual certification is to ISO 9001, but is implemented in accordance with ISO 29001.
Personally, I've never seen a copy of it.

ISO/TS 29001:2003 defines the quality management system requirements for the design, development, production, installation and service of products for the petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries, based on ISO 9001:2000.

Limits are addressed on claims of conformity to ISO/TS 29001:2003 if exclusions are made.

ISO/TS 29001:2003 does not address competitive or commercial matters such as price, warranties, guarantees, or clauses intended to sustain commercial objectives.

Api Q1

ISO 29001 is the international version of the american petroleum institutes Q1
that mirrors the 9001 series it has been around since the late 80's, and is a quality management system and monogram criteria.

Down here alot of places get the dual certification of API Q1 & ISO 9001:2000 because they are basically the same except the Q1 may get into technical aspects and references to other API Technical Standards.(API has and is in the process of having all of their specifications branded with ISO)

I have certified systems to both Q1 and ISO on the 94 & 2000 versions and when ISO 9001 updates API and it's Q1 one follows it's lead!

Last edited:

gdn47

Thank you all for your responses.

However I am becoming a little more confused as I receive more information on the issue. I have taken the following from the OGP Standards bulletin.

•Quality management system for the oil and natural gas industry : 2003-11-25
(from OGP Standards Bulletin)
A successful partnership between ISO and the international oil and natural gas industry has resulted in the publication of a new technical specification for implementing ISO 9001-based quality management systems (QMS).

This defines 29001 as a technical specification. Further it states that the specification is for implementing the QMS, not documlentation development. In other areas I have seen it referred to as an International Standard.

At present it seems that 29001 is a document provided as guidance for the implementation of the QMS. The document quotes 9001 in boxed text and provides supplementary requirements on how the QMS should be implemented. Hence it seems that the supplementary requirements only apply to the tier two documents affecting implementation. Therefore it seems that accreditation will be to ISO 9001: 2000. What about the ISO/TS 29001 specification? Will there be a note that the specification has been adhered to, or perhaps a separate certificate to this effect may be granted.

I hope to study a copy of the document soon and will report back then. Meanwhile I would like your comments on my above interpretation.

gdn47

The American Petroleum Institute (API) Specification Q1, Specification for Quality Programs for the Petroleum, Petrochemical and Natural Gas Industry, is yet another example of how API and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) are working together in an effort to create one set of internationally recognized standards for the petrochemical industry.

Released June 2003, Spec Q1 is the API version of a joint document created by API and ISO. The ISO version, ISO/TS 29001:2003, Petroleum, petrochemical, and natural gas industries — Sector-specific quality management systems — Requirements for product and service supply organizations, was released September 2003.

Created by a committee staffed by API and ISO members, the two documents, while published by the organizations under two different names, are technically equivalent and virtually identical. The only difference between the two is an appendix in API Spec Q1, which provides guidelines specific to the API Monogram Program.

API Spec Q1 and ISO 29001 have been created based on the worldwide standard for quality management systems, ISO 9001:2000. At the same time, they offer additional quality control requirements that are considered valuable to the oil and gas industry.

API Spec Q1 is the basis for several API quality certification programs, including the API Spec Q1 Registration program and the API Monogram Program. The API Spec Q1 Registration program is designed to certify companies that wish to demonstrate their compliance with the specification.

Now, with the issuance of this joint document, organizations that are in compliance with the API spec are automatically considered to be in compliance with ISO 9001:2000 as well. API also offers a new quality program, QualityPlus, that allows companies to apply for both API Spec Q1 Registration and ISO 9001:2000 Registration.

Rather than undergoing separate audits for each certification, with QualityPlus, companies now only have to go through a single annual audit.
The other program built based on Spec Q1, the API Monogram Program, is designed to provide the oil and natural gas industry with a benchmark for oilfield equipment and product service, safety, and quality.

Companies that are licensed to use the API Monogram on their products have been certified by API as being in compliance with the specific standards covering their equipment. Currently, more than 1,500 organizations around the world are licensed to feature the API Monogram on their products.

Organizations wishing to obtain an API Monogram license must have an approved, documented, and functioning quality program in place that meets API Spec Q1.

As part of the licensing process, API reviews the company’s quality manual and conducts audits of the company’s quality program at least once every three years in order to ensure that it meets the API requirements, including those identified in API Spec Q1.:blowup:

RosieA

Hi gdn,

There are several threads on API Q1 (aka ISO TS 9001: 2003) Do a search on API and you'll find several.

Here's one: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=11885&highlight=API

My company is API Q1 certified (certification is granted by the American Petroleum Institute, not by an ISO Registrar) and also ISO 9001 certified. TS29001 is ISO 9001 with some extra requirements, some of which are industry-specific and some of which are items from 9001:1994 that API didn't want to discard.

There are also product requirements from API that are rolled into this program, for example: API Specification 7F is "Specification for Oil Field Chain and Sprockets". Compliance to the product specifications were part of my audit, as well as the quality system. This is part of the monogram program pilchard mentioned.

I think you need to consider these two certifications separately, although if you are certified to 9001, that should take you 3/4 of the way to API certification.

If there's anything specific I can help you with, let me know.
Rosie

Last edited:
D

DudleyB

I've just been given the task of implementing the ISO/TS 29001:2003 QMS. I am familiar with ISO9001:2000 and would like to see how the supplemental API reqs are addressed in the quality manual. Could anyone share how they've handled it?