DFMEA buy-in strategies for Design Engineers

Ronen E

Problem Solver
The cooperation can come from an understanding of the tool -the DFMEA- or by pressure from management.
(My emphasis)
To me, that spells out fear, and in my experience not much good normally comes out of that. Yes, it would look like cooperation, but more likely it would be just going through the motions, just to get through and be done with it. FMEAs tend to be resource hungry - a group of highly-paid professionals sitting in a room for a significant number of hours (maybe on multiple occasions). That would be a silly waste of resources just for the sake of appearance.
will the outputs of the dfmea lead to an improvement in the design verification and validation or will they sit forgotten in a file that no one will look at?
That's exactly why it does matter who owns it and whether the design team buys in or not. Unless of course you want to police them all the way through...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I wholeheartedly agree that a clear drive from the top is essential for any lasting quality initiative. I also agree that ensuring decisions implementation is a pivotal part of management. I just don't see policing as part of leadership.
Who said anything about "policing"? The statement above is basically what I said, reworded.
Sure it got done... but did it add value? Did it add all (or most) value it could?
Nobody knows for sure what "add value" means.
Oh, I do. At least I know what it means to me.
Unless you can actually quantify the value that's been added, "adding value" is a mostly meaningless phrase. If by "adding value" you simply mean that something was improved, you should also be able to quantify that.
If it's not clear that the impetus comes from the top, it will fail sooner or later.
I beg to differ...To me real quality leadership is about inspiring and motivating staff at all levels to take responsibility for Quality, especially for the quality of their own work, because they understand how important it is to the success of the organisation and their own well-being (if it's not, that should be sorted out first).
I suggested that the impetus needs to come from the top. I didn't say anything about "policing," lack of inspiration, or anything of the sort. The impetus for all good things must come from the top.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
@Jim Wynne, seems like we're in agreement on most things after all. I'm glad you provided clarifications - it wasn't that clear earlier.

Top Bottom