Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Occurance and Detection Ratings

A

Amouchicou

Hi,
I'm new at doing FMEA and DFMEA ratings are not clear to me. The severity, no problem with that one, because it's easy to categorize the possible failure.

Occurance: should we try to establish the occurance of the failure when the end-user will have the product in hand. All the rating scales I've come through are always failure per units. It's hard (impossible) to evaluate the amount of failure for the users when your design isn't finish.

Detection: Should we see this one as the chance, within our design process, to detect (resolve) the problem or if the design stays has it is, are we going to detect the failure during manufacturing.

Also, if someone knows a book talking about a rating scales adapt for DFMEA or if someone would like to share one, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help!!!

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: DFMEA - Ratings

Hi,
I'm new at doing FMEA and DFMEA ratings are not clear to me. The severity, no problem with that one, because it's easy to categorize the possible failure.

Occurance: should we try to establish the occurance of the failure when the end-user will have the product in hand. All the rating scales I've come through are always failure per units. It's hard (impossible) to evaluate the amount of failure for the users when your design isn't finish.

Detection: Should we see this one as the chance, within our design process, to detect (resolve) the problem or if the design stays has it is, are we going to detect the failure during manufacturing.

Also, if someone knows a book talking about a rating scales adapt for DFMEA or if someone would like to share one, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help!!!
Amouchicou,

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :bigwave: :bigwave:

What document did you use to get the descriptions/rankings?

The AIAG FMEA manual perhaps? If so, what version?

Just curious....;)

Stijloor.

A

Amouchicou

Re: DFMEA - Ratings

I use internal documents. People here where doing only PFMEA and I tried to adapt those documents to the DFMEA but it was more challenging then I thought.
Attached is the grid I use. To understand better the process of FMEA I use a hand book call "The basics of FMEA". I want to buy a more complete book that would explain the DFMEA in a separate section.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom