DFMEA, Drawings and PFMEA of an Assembly Process

nitros1

Starting to get Involved
Hi all !!

Im currently assigned to complete a PFMEA of an assembly process, for starters I know to look for info, in the DFMEA, component drawings, similar processes, other PFMEAS, and probably some others that I am omiting.

Anyways when I look in the component drawings I find some dimensions denoted as HI, and SC, but I find none of them mentioned in the DFMEA, ( the DFMEA has no classifications whatsoever), when I asked the product engineer responsible, he replied that the order was, DFMEA-drawing- PFMEA, but isn{t the drawing a depository of all DFMEA findings ?? how can I link these 2 documents so I can transfer all that I should to my PFMEA??

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi all !!

Im currently assigned to complete a PFMEA of an assembly process, for starters I know to look for info, in the DFMEA, component drawings, similar processes, other PFMEAS, and probably some others that I am omiting.

Anyways when I look in the component drawings I find some dimensions denoted as HI, and SC, but I find none of them mentioned in the DFMEA, ( the DFMEA has no classifications whatsoever), when I asked the product engineer responsible, he replied that the order was, DFMEA-drawing- PFMEA, but isn{t the drawing a depository of all DFMEA findings ?? how can I link these 2 documents so I can transfer all that I should to my PFMEA??

Thanks in advance.
BUMP......

Can anyone help?

Thanks! :)

Antyp

Starting to get Involved
Hi

DFMEA in fact is used to asses design of the product and to define special characteristics (risks within the design of product).
Link between DFMEA and the Drawing should be obvious by product characteristics / functions. However when you work over DFMEA there is no final drawing yet.

PFMEA is a process analysis, its starting point is Flow Chart, not the drawing nor even DFMEA.
In PFMEA you analyse all requirements for the process not product.
Connection can be found by so called characteristics matrix, which shows in which process step (operation) particular product characteristics are created / used controlled etc.

nitros1

Starting to get Involved
Hi

DFMEA in fact is used to asses design of the product and to define special characteristics (risks within the design of product).
Link between DFMEA and the Drawing should be obvious by product characteristics / functions. However when you work over DFMEA there is no final drawing yet.

PFMEA is a process analysis, its starting point is Flow Chart, not the drawing nor even DFMEA.
In PFMEA you analyse all requirements for the process not product.
Connection can be found by so called characteristics matrix, which shows in which process step (operation) particular product characteristics are created / used controlled etc.
Ok thanks for taking the time to help me, well that{s pretty much what I ve heard , but in this case I lack the characteristics matrix, and I dont want to miss any important or critical characteristic mentioned in the DFMEA nor I want to include it all, all I have is a DFMEA with severities no biggger than 8, no classifications for any failure mode at all, and a drawing with a bunch of SCs and HIs, and I have to complete the PFMEA. Advice?

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
As Antyp noted, the pFMEA is intended to focus on the process. Set the dFMEA aside and look at the manufacturing process. There are likely individual steps in the process. The pFMEA looks at what can go wrong at each step. Your controls are then activities that reduce the likelihood of such failures (maybe in-process test, maybe QC inspection, etc.).

Do you have a System Hazard Analysis? If so, that should be the place to look to determine the types of hazards that can arise through use and you should be able to relate process failures to those.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Sure. I tend to think in terms of medical devices so I probably jumped too far.

The system hazard analysis just defines the hazards associated with the product and the possible harms. We use that information to frame up the pFMEA. If the result of a process could result in a defect that could result in harm then that gets more attention than a defect that wouldn't cause harm.

But if you don't have one, you can still drive the pFMEA. One way would be to flowchart the assembly process. Look at each step in the process and ask what could go wrong and what kind of impact that would have. Where conditions exist that would have adverse impact to the product, define actions (mitigations or controls) to eliminate or reduce the likelihood of the defect escaping.

noorain

Starting to get Involved
I have been assigned to initiate, DFMEA in our company. We are designing and developing a medical product. There has been an initial BOM. My production manager feels FMEA should start only after PCB design is completed. IM a bit lost as im new to this process, I dono when it should be started. Any help would be very much appreciated.

noorain

Starting to get Involved
I need help in starting DFMEA. Should i initiate it once the design is completed or while its being done. Please do suggest. from when to start

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
An FMEA (as Risk Management in general) is not a static, one-time document. Start now with what you know and updated it throughout the process. By starting now, you may be able to better evolve the design towards a safer product.

If you haven't done so already, you should do the System Hazard Analysis work to fully characterize the device and to get a baseline understanding of the associated hazards. That will help set the foundation for the dFMEA.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R DFMEA/PFMEA mitigation of high severity (9-10) in low volume products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Understanding DFMEA and PFMEA - Supplier Related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q Is that any difficulty to do software DFMEA and PFMEA in ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Handling nonfunctional requirements in DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 5
Jimmy123 P-Diagram vs DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
C Function definition for DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
G DFMEA buy-in strategies for Design Engineers APQP and PPAP 22
optomist1 DFMEA - Real Life Drama FMEA and Control Plans 25
optomist1 Share a DFMEA template please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Shawn Mosby DFMEA when the supplier doesn't have design responsibility APQP and PPAP 14
T DFMEA/PFMEA and SCCAF alignment FMEA and Control Plans 19
C Design for Assembly in DFMEA - Failure Effect of Sub-System(s) FMEA and Control Plans 5
C Resource allocation problems in Software DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
I Making a process PFMEA, no DFMEA (non-automotive toll manufacturer) FMEA and Control Plans 1
Proud Liberal DFMEA / PFMEA linkage - Where in the standards do I find it? FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Introducing an existing product into automotive context - DFMEA needed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N YS Class in DFMEA & Process Control Measures FMEA and Control Plans 1
R DFMEA Severity 9-10 with Occurrence 3 and Detection 3 - Actions FMEA and Control Plans 3
G Is it compulsory to make DFMEA for proto parts making organisation APQP and PPAP 1
K Determining Effect of Failure without a DFMEA (Design FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 1
Stijloor DFMEA & DVP&R Training Providers FMEA and Control Plans 1
P Does anyone have a DFMEA process Interface Matrix .xls template FMEA and Control Plans 7
C DFMEA vs. PFMEA Relationship: The cause in DFMEA becomes Failure in the PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Severity Reduction in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 25
G How to identify Key Characteristics (KC) in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
W 'Classification' column in DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
N What is the relationship between a DFMEA and PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 1
S DFMEA countermeasures in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 18
M If I update a DFMEA do I need to submit to my Customer? FMEA and Control Plans 7
R DFMEA (Design FMEA) on Printed Circuit Boards (PCB's) FMEA and Control Plans 2
M How to identify CTQ / Critical Characteristics using the DFMEA approach. FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Removing Detection from DFMEA - Medical Device company using ISO 13485 FMEA and Control Plans 3
R Rear Axle Gear Group DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
H DFMEA Severity Ranking of Non-Compliance to EMC Standards FMEA and Control Plans 2
V Simple Representation for Scope of DFMEA and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Risk Assessment Matrix Question - Inputs from the DFMEA, etc. FMEA and Control Plans 9
M ISO 14971 Risk Analysis and use of a DFMEA (Design FMEA) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
E IQRM PFMEA/DFMEA Software FMEA and Control Plans 11
Chennaiite Vehicle and System DFMEA - Brainstorming to Draft Guidelines FMEA and Control Plans 3
Chennaiite DFMEA (Design FMEA) at Vehicle Level - Some inputs needed. FMEA and Control Plans 4
M DFMEA Detection Ranking in AIAG FMEA Manual 4th Ed. - Explanation wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
V Coverage of Process Failures in dFMEA (Scope/Boundaries for Inclusion) & vice versa Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
P Design FMEA (DFMEA) Basics - Help needed IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Block Diagrams and Parameter (P) Diagrams in DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3