DFMEA / PFMEA linkage - Where in the standards do I find it?

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is there any requirement (current or upcoming) for suppliers to have access to customer's DFMEA in order to complete their PFMEA? I know it's a "best practice", but not all customers are willing to share them.

If so, where in the standards do I find it?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Dears,

we are trying to use the special characteristics Matrix as a way to link the DFMEA to the PFMEA. Anyone has the experience how to create such a matrix using the IQ RM software from APIS?

Cheers

SQ_Joe

Involved In Discussions
The DFMEA is eventually documented in Solid models, prints, requirement and shipping documents, etc.

Create your layout requirement list (required for PPAP anyway) of all of the requirements.

Place this list on the left-hand side of the "worksheet". Across the top side list the processes which will be used to create each requirement.

Move the process orders around to make since for you to produce the final product. You have created a matrix of product requirements to process actions. In the FMEA manual this is referred to as the Characteristic Matrix.

Now, on the matrix identify the intersections of the requirement and its producing process. There may be more than one process.

Then, use the AIAG PFMEA form "H" and enter the product requirement and its producing process. The process step number is developed by sequentially numbering the process as re-arranged on the top of the matrix. Identified Critical and Significant Characteristics in the product requirement documents carry over to the Process FMEA Criticalities in addition to Operational Sfety and Sugnificant identified in the PFMEA.

AP1

Registered
Is there any requirement (current or upcoming) for suppliers to have access to customer's DFMEA in order to complete their PFMEA? I know it's a "best practice", but not all customers are willing to share them.

If so, where in the standards do I find it?
I was pulled on an audit for not having a copy of the DFMEA but don't recall where the requirement for having a copy came from. I tend to email the customer and just file a copy of the request as evidence should one not materialise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Is that any difficulty to do software DFMEA and PFMEA in ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T DFMEA/PFMEA and SCCAF alignment FMEA and Control Plans 19
I Making a process PFMEA, no DFMEA (non-automotive toll manufacturer) FMEA and Control Plans 1
N DFMEA, Drawings and PFMEA of an Assembly Process FMEA and Control Plans 12
C DFMEA vs. PFMEA Relationship: The cause in DFMEA becomes Failure in the PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 2
N What is the relationship between a DFMEA and PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 1
S DFMEA countermeasures in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 18
V Simple Representation for Scope of DFMEA and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
E IQRM PFMEA/DFMEA Software FMEA and Control Plans 11
T DFMEA & PFMEA - Special Characteristics Identification FMEA and Control Plans 14
V Failure Modes & Causes in dFMEA & pFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
K DFMEA & PFMEA Lead Responsibility FMEA and Control Plans 10
T DFMEA (Design FMEA) - We already have a PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 5
C Does the PFMEA Severity have to match the DFMEA Severity? FMEA and Control Plans 3
C DFMEA (Design FMEA) and PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Who should lead? FMEA and Control Plans 14
P DFMEA, PFMEA and Control Plan examples (e.g.: for a pen) wanted for training FMEA and Control Plans 2
U Example of DFMEA & PFMEA for a throttle body (Butterfly valve) FMEA and Control Plans 2
N How to Calculate RPN in Design FMEA (DFMEA) vs. Process FMEA (PFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 9
A DFMEA, PFMEA and KCC's (Key Control Characteristics) Relationships FMEA and Control Plans 11
W Actual examples of FMEA (DFMEA, PFMEA) for Car Assembly Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G The difference between DFMEA and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
L Special Characteristics in DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Carry over to PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 9
Ron Rompen Development of the PFMEA - SEVERITY scores not derived from the DFMEA - Ford FMEA and Control Plans 13
M Connection between DFMEA and PFMEA - What must be transferred to the PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 9
Y Design (DFMEA) and Process (PFMEA) FMEA Failure Mode Identification Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
A PFMEA - Is having the DFMEA An Absolute Requirement when doing a PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 19
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Handling nonfunctional requirements in DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 5
Jimmy123 P-Diagram vs DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
C Function definition for DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
G DFMEA buy-in strategies for Design Engineers APQP and PPAP 22
optomist1 DFMEA - Real Life Drama FMEA and Control Plans 25
optomist1 Share a DFMEA template please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Shawn Mosby DFMEA when the supplier doesn't have design responsibility APQP and PPAP 14
C Design for Assembly in DFMEA - Failure Effect of Sub-System(s) FMEA and Control Plans 5
C Resource allocation problems in Software DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
D Introducing an existing product into automotive context - DFMEA needed? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N YS Class in DFMEA & Process Control Measures FMEA and Control Plans 1
R DFMEA Severity 9-10 with Occurrence 3 and Detection 3 - Actions FMEA and Control Plans 3
G Is it compulsory to make DFMEA for proto parts making organisation APQP and PPAP 1
K Determining Effect of Failure without a DFMEA (Design FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 1
Stijloor DFMEA & DVP&R Training Providers FMEA and Control Plans 1
P Does anyone have a DFMEA process Interface Matrix .xls template FMEA and Control Plans 7
M Severity Reduction in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 25
G How to identify Key Characteristics (KC) in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
W 'Classification' column in DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
M If I update a DFMEA do I need to submit to my Customer? FMEA and Control Plans 7