DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) project or SSBB project?

C

capnkrk

Hey folks-

I'm an ASQ CSSGB, currently taking a BB course through a tech school to ultimately prepare for the ASQ SSBB exam.

I need a project to sit for the exam. Here's my idea:

We are getting a new piece of equipmenty in house that will have an entirely different work flow and changeover process. Getting these processes right is critical to our growth and success. My instructor feels that this is a DFSS situation, and wouldn't qualify as a BB project.

However, we have developed standard work and designed a new work flow. Once we get the equipment in house we'll test our designs and improve upon them. Why wouldn't that work as a BB project?

As a rhetorical question, why doesn't DFSS qualify as a black belt project? It's critical, and can potentially save huge $.

thoughts???

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
It sounds like it is a situation that could benefit from both approachs. The key question that you need to ask is whether it will provide you with the opportunity that you need to demonstrate mastery of the LSS BoK for your certification. If it does provide that opportunity then go for it. Just make sure that you scope your project accordingly.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
In general the difference between DFSS and 'regular' Six Sigma is that regualr six sigma focuses on the entier problem solving process while DFSS concentrates on the development process. Many of the same tools are used, but not all and not in the same sequence. DFSS should take a much longer time than problem Solving Six Sigma, simply becasue hte design and development process takes many months and/or years depending on the product. *I* don't distinguish between the two for 'certification', but many do.

The situation you describe is neither. It sounds more like you have done a little LEAN work (standard work and work flow).

If this new equipment/process produces defects then you will have a six sigma project...

Unfortunately as the whole 'six sigma' thing has become commodotized and watered down and manipulated for profit, these 3 things have become an unrecognizable amorphous blob for too many 'teachers' and consultants...

C

capnkrk

In general the difference between DFSS and 'regular' Six Sigma is that regualr six sigma focuses on the entier problem solving process while DFSS concentrates on the development process. Many of the same tools are used, but not all and not in the same sequence. DFSS should take a much longer time than problem Solving Six Sigma, simply becasue hte design and development process takes many months and/or years depending on the product. *I* don't distinguish between the two for 'certification', but many do.

The situation you describe is neither. It sounds more like you have done a little LEAN work (standard work and work flow).

If this new equipment/process produces defects then you will have a six sigma project...

Unfortunately as the whole 'six sigma' thing has become commodotized and watered down and manipulated for profit, these 3 things have become an unrecognizable amorphous blob for too many 'teachers' and consultants...
Thanks for the perspective. Just so I am clear: the reduction of setup time is considered a lean initiative, not six sigma?

I have read about many 'six sigma' projects addressing on time deliveries and similar metrics, what makes mine different?

K

KathySmith

Unless it's changed:

1) Six Sigma (DFSS) is more focused on a new process were none existed before.

2) BB is attacking a problem to a more established process. A common student mistake is to try to fix more than one problem in a BB project. Keep it simple.

Then there's Lean Six Sigma. Many of the Lean and Six Sigma tools are complicated and overlap the methodologies. It can be confusing everyone even the hardcore. But remember new or existing.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Unless it's changed:

1) Six Sigma (DFSS) is more focused on a new process were none existed before.

2) BB is attacking a problem to a more established process. A common student mistake is to try to fix more than one problem in a BB project. Keep it simple.

Then there's Lean Six Sigma. Many of the Lean and Six Sigma tools are complicated and overlap the methodologies. It can be confusing everyone even the hardcore. But remember new or existing.
I found it all very confusing, so I stick with "Continuous Improvement."
Including the basic seven quality tools. :cool:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks for the perspective. Just so I am clear: the reduction of setup time is considered a lean initiative, not six sigma?

I have read about many 'six sigma' projects addressing on time deliveries and similar metrics, what makes mine different?
typically reducing set-up time a lean project.
the critical difference in all of these is what 'tools' are used.
it is silly to use statistics to reduce setup time. (other than perhaps a control chart on set-up times to demonstrate before and after)

I know that some companies and consultants blur the tools across lean and six sigma but this is usually a sign of ignorance concerning either lean and/or six sigma. Too many people over-use the t-test, ANOVA, Cpk stuff for Lean when it is just a total misapplication of these tools and absolutely non-value-add processing. This usually comes form 'six sigma' people who have no clue what Lean is.

There are some lean improvements that require 'six sigma' tools (such as DoE and techncial problem solving) to eliminate a defect in order to eliminate a bottleneck or improve cycle time, or solve a late delivery problem, etc. I've also used six sigma tools (MSA and correlation) to prove that certain inspections were no longer needed or were ineffective in order to remove the inspection (non-value-add processing). so there is some overlap of the two methods, which is why they are synergistic and we tend to use the phrase Lean Six Sigma or better yet: Operational Excellence.

C

capnkrk

typically reducing set-up time a lean project.

Thanks Bev. Interesting that ASQ itself lists "reduced manufacturing machine setup time" as a qualifying Six Sigma project for sitting for the BB exam. I agree it's silly to shoe horn in analyses that are unnecessary for the project.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, ASQ has watered down the criteria even requiring only 1 project instead of 2. They were 'Johnny come lately' in the six sigma fad...

I can see how a project requiring machine redesign in order to reduce setup time would qualify.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
T Six Sigma (DfSS in Design & DMAIC in Production) Maturity study Six Sigma 1
P Design For Six Sigma (DFSS) Example For Pump Design and Tolerance Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
P DFX & DFLSS (DFSS) Techniques & Processes - Real world example of the usage Six Sigma 1
Q PPT used as Design Review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Design Verification Sample Size vs Repeats Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
A Design and development procedure for API Spec Q2 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
D Design controls - Inputs, outputs, V&V, DHF, DMR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
LostLouie Manufacturer divorced from Design process, is he justified in design process deficiencies? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
R DFA & DFM - Examples for Design for assembly and design for manufacturability Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
D Using Laboratory Notebooks in R&D and Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Joint approval between OEM and Manufacturer on Design Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M API 4F/7K/8C Design Package Validation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
S Documenting Design Verification Test Results (ISO 9001) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Understanding the applicability of Design of Experiments to the IQ OQ PQ qualification approach Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
DuncanGibbons How is the arrangement between Design and Production organisation envisaged? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
L Design & Development of a SERVICE Service Industry Specific Topics 13
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A AS9102B - 3.6 Design Characteristics and form 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J Iterative design and production for custom made products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Design Input detail & specificity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Design file for pre-existing products - Inputs and Outputs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Old medical devices -> 7.3.7. Design and development validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R Design and Manufacture Guidelines for Surface Mount Technology Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
optomist1 Design Exclusion, but now we might have an outsourced Product Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Supplier of design and manufacture process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
A Design process goal for ISO 9001 Manufacturing and Related Processes 23
Z Definitive definition of design? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Design Development MDR Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
C Essential Design Output(s) and Design transfer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11