SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

DHF (Design History File) for a Legacy Product (Class iii Medical Device)

A

anoopmp

Hi, :bigwave:

I am trying to establish a DHF for a legacy class-III product, which is in EU market from 1973. Most of the DMR data is available, but the design history data is missing. There is no design changes which are done on the product from last 3 years atleast. What would be the best option to establish a DHF.

:thanx:
Anoop

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: DHF for a legacy product

I assume that the device is US FDA Class III. If so, its design state as of its PMA clearance was well documented. You could assign whatever persons...likely engineers, and perhaps others...have the best knowledge of what occurred to the design and when, from the PMA date to now, to write the best possible narrative of the design history. You may be able to document design changes by means of other dated records such as ECOs, bills of material, drawings, manufacturing work instructions and other similar records.

Obviously that's a less than ideal approach, and FDA might not like it at all in regard to your 21CFR 820.30 obligations if the finished record still has gaps or is undated, but I don't see how you practically could do more than that.

You'll want to document how you've made the best possible effort to recover from your documentation/records problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

TWA - not the airline

Trusted Information Resource
I agree with MIREGMGR that you should start with investigating the design history as far as possible and document everything that up to now had not been put down in writing. The next step in my opinion would be to retrospectively establish a DHF for the product. For this you take your design control procedure and completely follow all its current requirements regarding documentation, reviews and approvals etc. and establish all the necessary documents for design input, design output, verification and validation activities etc. When filling in the information in the new DHF you start with what you found in your investigation and then explain the changes and fill out the remaining gaps.

A

anoopmp

First Thanks to you MIREGMGR & TWA.

Looks like I am in the right path then.
So here is the flow. Correct me if wrong.

1. Get all documents available.
2. Perform Gap analysis.
3. Identify what data needed for fixing gaps.
4. Collect information as much as available to fill the gaps
5. Create design doc as per "Current" procedures and templates.
6. Perform reviews and approvals.
7. Note changes happened in the design (atleast for last 2 years)
8. Documents changes as per procedures and version control
9. Perform reviews and approvals.

TWA - not the airline

Trusted Information Resource
Looks good to me. Some details to keep an eye on:
- Put the flow down in writing and call it a plan.
- Put down a rationale/memo to file for all things from your design control procedure that are not applicable for retrospective DHFs for legacy products (maybe also as part of your plan).
- Do not forget to document the review and approval of things that are fine and do not need amendmends (typically in the DMR, as the product is already being manufactured for a long time).

F

Fa Pa

Glad I found this forum!!!

We a very similar issue. Some of our product is missing significant portions of the DHF. Items, such as Design Input/Output Traceability Matrix (which should contain dates, or a gantt chart and resources, etc). I can investigate, interview engineers involved in the design in that project but what do I do with items that require dates and signatures from people no longer in the company?
Same thing with the V&V records. Can I do a retrospective V&V plan? How would I handle the test reports? Only good thing is that we do have some of the validation records around.

Please help!

O

Oscar Wang

Hi:
i think there are two scenario. Senario I is that the old MD has already got a 510(K) and marketed in US. in this case, i think your remedial plan is feasible and suitable solution. i need to emphasis that if old verificaiton result needs to be cited, you should be very careful to determine that whether this test result is still available for current device. In Scenario II if this device is newly application for 510(K), i suggest that you redo the development process and generates a complete new set of DHF. this will help you with following activities such as design change and so on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Suggestions for putting together a DHF (Design History File) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Updating DHF (Design History File) to include Alternative Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K ISO 13485 and DHF (Design History File) requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Design History File (DHF) for New Generation of Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
N 510k without DHF (Design History File) that we bought a 3 years ago US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
B When To Share Your DHF (Design History File) With A Customer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Cost Targets as Design Inputs in your DHF (Design History File) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
renenatasha Usage of web articles in DHF (Design History File) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
A Medical Device DHF (Design History File) - One per Design Change? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
L Creating DHF (Design History File) for Medical Device Systems Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
K How to start a Design History File (DHF) for Medical devices Company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Design History File DHF Practices and Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Design History File (DHF) - Buy-For-Resell Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M What are typical Roles & Responsibilities of DHF (Design History File) Librarian? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
H Paper based DHF (Design History File) updates for Software Updates 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q DMR-Device Master Record vs DHF-Design History File vs DHR-Device History Record 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 50
C Remediating a Design History File (DHF) for an IVD developed prior to 1997 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Design History File (DHF) Maintenance Information wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
O DHF (Design History File) Template Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
H Working from a previous design history. How can I best leverage the exisitng DHF? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C How to establish a Design History file (DHF)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
W Design History File (DHF) Template Example for Consideration. Design and Development of Products and Processes 12
S Which documents in the DHF (Design History File) should be controlled? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q DHF (Design History File) on New Medical Device Product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D Design controls - Inputs, outputs, V&V, DHF, DMR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D DHF Responsibility after design handover Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E Design Dossier/DHF Updates - What to Keep EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P What results of a design review are documented in a DHF? Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
S DHF/DMR/MDF for a software-only, cloud-based, single-instance device Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
P DHF, DMR and DHR in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
A DHF File - Shall the document cover all the variants? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Our products borrow DHF documents from a previous DHF for another product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Is an index necessary for DMR or DHF? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S DHF File Change Control Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Per IEC 62304, are DHF documents Configuration Items? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
A Hundreds of Medical Devices & Accessories - 3 DHF's? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V What is required in terms of the DHR, DMR, DHF? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
O Distributors and ISO 13485 - DHF and DMR Responsibilities ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Incomplete DHF: Re-do or plug gaps? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
K Retrospective DHF for an old non-registered device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J How to structure a DHF when all manufacturing is done by Contract Maufacturers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D DHF Review - When does the FDA review the DHF? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
N Control of Medical Device DHF (Device History File) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
W Update DHF (Device History Record) when DMR (Device Master Record) changes? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
V Medical Products: CE Marking - Are the DMR's, Technical Files, DHF, required? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T DMR/DHF/DHR/Batch Records/Master Batch Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M DMR, DHR and DHF physical form 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Design Control - Management of Electronic CAD files Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
S Examples of FDA acceptable Software Design Specification (SDS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6