DHR approval requirements for stand-alone software

keldez

Involved In Discussions
Hello All,
I am creating a DHR system for stand-alone software. I'm caught in between methodology - current management has never shown approval on DHRs with previous companies. It has more or less contained the version/date/customer. This is because every software build has to undergo verification, and once it is verified, those design control records show approval to the DMR. So, all "units" of a version are built and approved in one step.
I see the logic in management's stance, but the DHR is still a record, so I feel it needs to have document controls applied.
For some background, our proposed DHR structure is an electronic log that is part of our ERP (Confluence), and for each sale a row is added to the DHR "log" to apply as much unique identification as possible (UDI not required yet) by Customer ID. Once a line is added, the log goes through the approval process (electronic via our Workflow).
Any thoughts on the need for approval of this application of the DHR?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: DHR approval requirements

Interesting topic of discussion.

Consider what a DHR is: essentially evidence that the DMR was followed. So what's the DMR for the stand-alone software? Probably isn't one but you probably have (or should have) build instructions and maybe some SCM/SQA stuff (like configuration status accounting and configuration identification) that you do.

From strictly a management / controls perspective, it's important to capture this information and other information about the configuration (known issues, issues resolved, etc.).

I'm curious if anyone is pushing you for a DHR for software? I'd hesitate to try to label anything for software as a DHR since that only begs the question about the DMR.

mihzago

Trusted Information Resource

let me expand a little bit on my previous response, to show you what I'm doing.

The release notes document is actually a combination of several software QA items, which includes software revision description and changes made, build procedure, description of executable file, archive location, deployment information and any pertinent software configuration management information.

In my document/record control procedure I define DHR to be a record with this information.

My product is a stand-alone software, which is not delivered on any physical media; it's either available thorough web link or app store. You may need additional information related to production if you deliver your software on CDs or similar.

keldez

Involved In Discussions

We do have life-cycle documentation - There's a Revision History document (per 62304) of builds, dates, descriptions. We created a DMR Index (albeit limited in content). The only thing we are lacking that I'm aware of on that end is fulfilling process controls.
After more thought, I almost wonder if this running log/record in question is just a link between the existing Revision History document and referencing it to our Verification activities (what proves it has been accepted per DMR requirements). As what it seems you have Mihzago, I'm basically making a record of existing data from multiple sources.
No one is pushing us at the moment to meet any requirements. I'm building this QMS from the ground up with the classification of this software. My colleagues and I come from different worlds in terms of Quality, so I just want to ensure I'm not overdoing it.
I think I will keep our DHR log as a record as planned, and reference the Revision History Document and DHF to prove acceptance. Thanks all!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R DHR question: Traceability of components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
E What are appropriate deviations for a LHR/DHR? (Medical Device Company) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P DHF, DMR and DHR in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
W Is it required to stamp obsolete hard copy DHR's "obsolete"? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Are DMR (device master record) and DHR (device history record) inspected by FDA or audited by an NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R In this type of Legal Manufacturer-CMO arrangement, what happens to the DHR? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M 13485- DHR requirement for a distributor? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Is a DHR enough to fulfill 13485:2016's Medical Device File requirement? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Page Numbering requirement for DHR Report Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
V What is required in terms of the DHR, DMR, DHF? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
Q Incomplete Process Sheets Closure - DHR - Doc Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q DMR and DHR - Two requirements, One Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
C Are DHR and Design Dossier synonymous? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
W Maintaining Component Traceability in DHR (Design History Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Medical Device Service Records linked to DHR (Design History Record)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Could I destroy my DHR hard copy after 2 years after pdf'ing them ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E Better control of DHR (Design History Record) during processing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Who owns the DHR (Device History Record) for the Medical Device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M DHR (Design History Record) Requirements - Concessions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
E Traceability Requirements for Medical Device History Records (DHR's) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B DHR's (Device History Record) for Class 1 and 2 Medical Devices Not Required? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q DMR-Device Master Record vs DHF-Design History File vs DHR-Device History Record 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 50
Q How much detail in DHR (Device History Record) is too much? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
C What is the Minimum Regulatory Requirement for Record Retention of DHR by Suppliers Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
I DHR (Device History Record) for Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
P DHR and components under deviation - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T DMR/DHF/DHR/Batch Records/Master Batch Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M DMR, DHR and DHF physical form 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Specific records to be retained for Class II devices per 820.184 DHR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Device History Records (DHR) Component Traceability / Serial Number Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
R Sec. 820.120 Device Labeling & DHR - Count and Document All Labels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
S Device History Record (DHR) Templates or Examples Wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Notified Body Approval of Change EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Marcel DS GOST-R (Type approval for Vehicles in Russia) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
K Joint approval between OEM and Manufacturer on Design Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
O Radio modular approval in Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
O Radio Modular approval in China China Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Clue to UK's new regulatory requirements - approval of all devices placed on the market? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
was named killer AS9100 Supplier Approval Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
F How to fill out an Appearance Approval Report (AAR) APQP and PPAP 0
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
JoCam Difference between Approval and Registration - ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Question 1 - Nitpicking on Document Approval - can a document approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
F Medical devices_hong kong_post approval changes regulation (China's MOH) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
F Medical Devices-South Africa _Post approval changes and Software Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
C AS9145 Appendix D PPAP Approval Form APQP and PPAP 2
N China - Start manufacturing before change approval? China Medical Device Regulations 1