Did Blackout 2003 Affect You

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Well, wasn't that quite the adventure? And it isn't over for some of us. Work has partial power, computers are up and running, coffee machine is dispensing, but water will probably be turned off shortly and the furnaces are off.

In the meantime, last night was a lovely candlelit supper of salad and wine. And reading until the sun went down. And, novel concept, talking with friends. Rather enjoyable actually.

Still don't have power at my house, but I programmed my sports watch to wake me up. And, decided to come into work, to see what I could do to help out.

Citizens were amazing in my area! 8 lanes of traffic merging into an intersection, and if they weren't being treated as a four-way stop, traffic would rotate! 3 cars. Next set. 3 cars. Next set. And so on! Citizens were directing traffic and I stopped off to pass out some bottled water to one.

Hotels were packed with stranded travellers - Pearson AP in Toronto was down on a NAV Canada order, but resumed some flights later on in the evening.

D/T Toronto people decided to either hit the pubs or find other ways home.

And crime, thankfully, was actually kept to a minimum...perhaps a bit busier than normal, but no massive looting or activity.

Several fires though due to candles. People just don't think sometimes.

So...if you were affected, how did you cope/are you coping?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Aaron Lupo

I live in Central NY and they only thing I lost was cable, did it affect me, yes I wasn't able to watch my Yankees! :biglaugh:

Now where I work we lost one piece of equipment it fried when the power came back on. We had numerous tests that went outside of the specifications and will need to look at each of them to see what the impact was if any. Now, I know people here have been begging for a generator but Management has scoffed at it, (oh it cost too much, we never lose power etc..), well in the almost 4 years I have been here they have lost power several times, each time more costly than the other. Will they change their mind now I doubt it.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
We saw no effects here in the Chicago area. But I must say I was very impressed by how the masses handled the situation.

I am so glad to see the human race behave humanely. Renews my faith in mankind!

My prayers to all that have been affected.

CarolX

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
ISO GUY said:
I live in Central NY and they only thing I lost was cable, did it affect me, yes I wasn't able to watch my Yankees! :biglaugh:

Now where I work we lost one piece of equipment it fried when the power came back on. We had numerous tests that went outside of the specifications and will need to look at each of them to see what the impact was if any. Now, I know people here have been begging for a generator but Management has scoffed at it, (oh it cost too much, we never lose power etc..), well in the almost 4 years I have been here they have lost power several times, each time more costly than the other. Will they change their mind now I doubt it.
I know that the Toronto Argonauts (CFL) game was cancelled due something about a lack of power.

Thankfully (???), we've become rather adept at blackouts, brownouts, power surges, inclement weather and our substation routine is fined tuned. For the third power outage in a row, we have not blown our phone system! Our servers are up and running. All equipment appears to be working at optimum levels.

Unfortunately, the true test will come when we can start up the furnaces again. One of the furnaces however, requires 24 hours to warm up and we're on shut-down right now. If power is not fully restored to the grid by 1600, our shut down schedule will be thrown into a bit of chaos.

My main concern is if the water is shut off like they're planning. We have filtered water at the coolers, so the supply is not my worry. It's the bathrooms. Thankfully, the front office is one a separate water supply so we should be able to use those ones.

AC has been turned off and the Engineering office is beginning to get a little sticky.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
CarolX said:
We saw no effects here in the Chicago area. But I must say I was very impressed by how the masses handled the situation.
And this just proves how inconsistent news can be. I heard Chicago WAS affected. Not all of it, but parts.

I, too, was impressed. People helping people. No mass panic, although I hear there was some in NY for a little bit as reminders of September 11 flashed through the minds of people. Even in Toronto, no one wanted to be in the high-rise buildings. But people exited the buildings in an orderly fashion.

E

energy

A little bit

RCBeyette said:
So...if you were affected, how did you cope/are you coping?
Since my last post on this in the worm thread, we experienced 3 episodes of total blackness lasting no more than 5 minutes (the longest). The numbers in this state went from about 56K at 3 PM to 150K by late evening. Number is back down with full restoration of power expected to be complete by noon, today. Sure.

I heard the "Blame Game" being played out this morning on the news. Your PM says it was a lightening strike in the US side near the Niagra Falls and the US says there is no doubt it originated in Canada. Why did you do that? :vfunny:

V

vpickell

Thankfully, my home or office only lost power for seconds. As, we usually lose power everytime the wind blows. Although towns around 25 miles away are without power.
Since we don't know the direct cause as of yet, it still seems that there is a big problem, that a massive systems failure could occur so widespread. I felt bad for the New Yorker's, could only imagine the first reaction of terror, that some must of felt.
The news implied this morning that finger pointing was starting between Canada (our great neighbors to the North) and the US. Please........work together, figure it out, improve it.
Good luck to all, and lets all pray that everyone is restored soon, and until then that we all try to be good neighbors.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
energy said:
Since my last post on this in the worm thread, we experienced 3 episodes of total blackness lasting no more than 5 minutes (the longest). The numbers in this state went from about 56K at 3 PM to 150K by late evening. Number is back down with full restoration of power expected to be complete by noon, today. Sure.

I heard the "Blame Game" being played out this morning on the news. Your PM says it was a lightening strike in the US side near the Niagra Falls and the US says there is no doubt it originated in Canada. Why did you do that? :vfunny:
Yup...you figured it out, Energy! We finally got tired of our neighbours to the south and pulled the plug! You know, this would be sooooo interesting if it's connected to the Worm...not going to happen, but still an interesting theory.

Last I heard, our PM was retracting the comment about lightening, but still holding true to it being on the US side of Niagara Falls. The reason some people thought that perhaps it was in Ottawa, was a misunderstanding. I've also heard that a generator in Pennsylvannia is being investigated and it's a place that sounds like Ottawa.

Of course, just jumped off of Yahoo and they're reporting that now Ohio is being investigated.

I understand the need to know the source and cause, but that doesn't stop me from wanting things back to normal as soon as possible.

Some places may go without power all weekend and it's supposed to be a scorcher! I may head off to my parents. I have power at my place, but I don't want to run the ac in an effort to conserve. My parents don't have power, but with all those trees and a breeze off of the pond, it's rather cool there.

E

energy

Now that I can believe

RCBeyette said:
Of course, just jumped off of Yahoo and they're reporting that now Ohio is being investigated.
That has to be it. :vfunny: Probably somewhere around West Chester. ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Quiz - Where did the idea of an assembly line come from? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Where did FDA 510(K) form 3654 go? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
Marc When did you first use what we call E-Mail (aka email) today? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
Q Did you use consultants for UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
B How did you grow your QMS in a Job Shop? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
B Did UL 60601-1 change when the IEC 60601-1 standard changed to the 3rd edition? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
T Test Report - Customer Signature - Customer did not witness test General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Just for fun - How did you find the Elsmar Discussion Forum Forum News and General Information 9
GStough Is "Did Not Follow Procedures" Sufficient for RCA? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 30
Wes Bucey Did somebody drop the ball at Boeing? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 38
Marc Did Stone Age cavemen talk to each other in symbols? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
A The auditor documented that we did not have control of Outsourced Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Hershal Travel! Where have you been of late? What did you see? What do you think? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 15
T Did any of you use these sticks and rocks? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 32
Q AS9100B Clause 7.5.1.5 - Where did it go in AS9100C? Servicing/Post Delivery Support AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Jim Wynne What did they do before Powerpoint? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
Hershal How did you spend New Years? 2009 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
P New Year Goals and Resolutions - Did you keep your goals and resolutions in 2009? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
M Where did "breakpoint" analysis come from? AIAG MSA book Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
JoCam We did it!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Where did the name Elsmar come from? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
N CQC (China Quality Certification) did not issue an Audit Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Passed our registration audit - Well we did it!!!!!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
P NC from TS16949 stage 2 audit - Internal Auditing - Auditor did not record evidence General Auditing Discussions 15
D Out of tolerance gauge blocks - How did these blocks go out of tolerance? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
Wes Bucey Laid off? Downsized? What did you learn? Career and Occupation Discussions 80
M TUV NCR 1 - Internal Audit did not audit the second shift Internal Auditing 26
R Looking for a link to a story - Because Nobody did it, the project didn't get done Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Ajit Basrur Certified Biomedical Auditor (ASQ) - What study materials did you use? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
Govind Did you know about ASQ Membership value Assessment Calculator? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 5
Govind ISO 10031- Did you know about this standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Wes Bucey Why did they need laptops in the first place? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
M Did anyone take the CSQE exam on saturday (6/3/2006) Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
C How did you survive your childhood? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 31
C Why did you not choose mechanical engineering? Interview Question Career and Occupation Discussions 6
C Career Change Question - Why did you choose Quality Engineer as starting job? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
SteelMaiden ISO 14001 certification yesterday afternoon - We did it! ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 15
J Happy 2006 - How did you ring in the New Year Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
P Why did ISO assign the number 16949 to TS 16949? Why not 123456 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Green Buildings And Leed - Did anyone go to "greenbuild" in Atlanta last week? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 7
J TS 16949 8.5.2 Corrective Action - Auditor did not like the customer related form Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
I We Did it!! Recommended for TS 16949 certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Marc Acronym DID - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Q SPC Terminoloy & Jargon: Cpk, Ppk etc.: How did it evolve? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
Wes Bucey ASQ (American Society for Quality) By-Laws Changes - How did you vote? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 15
Q Curiosity... The popularity of ISO 9001 if NA Automakers did not require it ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Question about AQL - Why did the customer reject our products??? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
Govind Did Ken throw away his game? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24