Did Blackout 2003 Affect You

E

energy

They did it!

RCBeyette said:
Of course, just jumped off of Yahoo and they're reporting that now Ohio is being investigated.
Three Ohio Lines May Have Caused Blackout -Investigator
Updated 4:31 PM ET August 16, 2003

By Niala Boodhoo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The failure of three electric power transmission lines in Ohio probably caused the worst blackout in North American history, a top industry investigator said on Saturday.

"We now are fairly certain this disturbance started in Ohio," said Michehl Gent, president of the North American Electric Reliability Council, which was set up by the utility industry after U.S. blackouts in 1965 to promote electrical power stability. "We are now trying to determine why this situation was not brought under control after the first three transmission lines relayed out of service," he said in statement read over a conference call to reporters.

A joint U.S.-Canadian government task force is also investigating the blackout that two days ago plunged an estimated 50 million people into darkness across the United States and Canada. Neither the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission nor the U.S. Department of Energy has made any statements about the cause of the blackout.

NERC, working with utilities and federal, state and provincial authorities, did not say why the transmission lines failed. A NERC spokeswoman told Reuters that no information had been lost and that they were sorting through the data. "We won't know until the data is collected, organized and put into chronological and meaningful order," spokeswoman Ellen Vancko said. Gent said they would examine the emergency management logs of system operators and look at more than 10,000 "system events" to probe the cause.

Power had been largely restored on Saturday although isolated outages continued in parts of Michigan, Connecticut and Ontario, Canada. Authorities urged affected residents to limit their energy use to prevent rolling blackouts.

This was Saturday's News. :p :vfunny:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Heck, a fuse blew and they couldn't find anyone in northern Ohio who knew how to screw the old one out and a new one in. Then when they found someone who knew how, they couldn't find a fuse and Home Depot was closed. Finally someone came up with a penny to use until Home Depot opened at 7.00 am.

Circuit breakers due in 2006.

D

db

I work on the west side of Detroit and live on the northwest. I normally take all back roads (read dirt) to and from work to avoid idiots and traffic. I took one detour to avoid the one major intersection I cross. Overall it took only 5 minutes extra (and that is within the normal common cause process deviation). Got power back on exactly 3 minutes after I plugged into my neighbor's generator on Friday morning.

S

Sporty

We didn't get power back until 2:00 am Saturday....and it was nice sitting around with neighbors you didn't even know you had....barbequing and drinking.
I was impressed with how people helped each other overall. I was very disappointed with the gas stations that jacked up their prices approximately 20 cents per gallon....or the corner stores who charged double for bottled water......

Everything seems normal today....so far

R

Randy Stewart

They teased us with a half hour of power Friday morning. Had enough time to (on a well) and fill up some bottles. One thing good about being on the well is that I always have around 10 gallons of bottled water. I don't use AC so it really didn't bother us too bad. I grill out all year so we had plenty of propane and charcoal. The worst part was trying to get Renee to understand why she couldn't watch her Land Before Time movies!
Power came back on on Friday afternoon around 2. It was only off for 22 hours.
I lived in Charleston SC when Hugo went through, we were without power for 3 weeks then, so this was a piece of cake.
The bad part of it was coming through Lake Orion Thursday, one place had ice for $5 a bag, gas for $2.50 a gallon. I hope the Govenor gets ahold of the price gougers.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JRKH

Keep your stick on the ice

A new theory has come out of the woodwork, indicating that it was indeed a Canadian incident. In retribution for soft wood lumber and beef bans, we decided to pull the plug on your power supply. Of course, we made this decision after one too many beer and accidently affected our own power, too.

Another theory -- This may be the result of another Red Green Handyman's corner project.
Remember - "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy."

James

C

CINDY

I live south of the Detroit, Michigan area and our area lost power for almost 24 hours. Not too bad. I was in Houghton Lake till Sunday and did not hear about the black out until Friday afternoon. By the time I got home, all was back to normal. I did lose a freezer full of meat and some other perishables in the refrigerator. I did suffer from no water for 3 days though in Houghton Lake. Our motor went in the pump (well). We managed to survive and then some. We were eating dinner outside Friday night and have company over, with all the noise of people talking, a deer came up and started eating out of the feeder about 30 feet away. None of us had our cameras out side. What a missed opportunity.

We have family in nursing homes, and called on them. The nursing homes had generators going and managed quite well. One of our friends from church had her baby on Thursday evening. They will always remember the big black-out of 2003 when their baby was born.

I did hear on the radio this morning a comment that did not make since but just have to pass it on: “This black out would never have happened if Clinton was in office” I doubt any president could have had control over this.

I never associated this power outage with a terrorist attack. The power companies have been complaining for some time and warning that this type of blackout could happen. Maybe they will get the funds for up-dated equipment now.

Cindy

R

Randy Stewart

They will always remember the big black-out of 2003 when their baby was born.
Let's see how many are born due to the big black-out of '03! We'll see in May '04.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Randy Stewart said:
Let's see how many are born due to the big black-out of '03! We'll see in May '04.

I was thinking the same thing, having survived Ice Storm several years back when I was in Ottawa. However, there's a big difference between what happened then and now.

Then was winter...I would have curled up with any guy who was warm! :) Had to make due, however, with a gas stove and cognac in the stew. Oh the suffering!

Now, with no AC, sorry but no man is touching me unless there's a bag of unmelted ice cubes nearby! :vfunny: However, when I mentioned this at work, I was told that while it was warm inside the houses, the grass in the fields was pretty cool. I have *very* strange coworkers... :eek:

RCBeyette said:
Now, with no AC, sorry but no man is touching me unless there's a bag of unmelted ice cubes nearby! :vfunny: However, when I mentioned this at work, I was told that while it was warm inside the houses, the grass in the fields was pretty cool. I have *very* strange coworkers... :eek:

Strange? How do you mean? Don't they like ice cubes? :biglaugh:

/Claes

Top Bottom