Did Blackout 2003 Affect You

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Well, wasn't that quite the adventure? And it isn't over for some of us. Work has partial power, computers are up and running, coffee machine is dispensing, but water will probably be turned off shortly and the furnaces are off.

In the meantime, last night was a lovely candlelit supper of salad and wine. And reading until the sun went down. And, novel concept, talking with friends. Rather enjoyable actually.

Still don't have power at my house, but I programmed my sports watch to wake me up. And, decided to come into work, to see what I could do to help out.

Citizens were amazing in my area! 8 lanes of traffic merging into an intersection, and if they weren't being treated as a four-way stop, traffic would rotate! 3 cars. Next set. 3 cars. Next set. And so on! Citizens were directing traffic and I stopped off to pass out some bottled water to one.

Hotels were packed with stranded travellers - Pearson AP in Toronto was down on a NAV Canada order, but resumed some flights later on in the evening.

D/T Toronto people decided to either hit the pubs or find other ways home.

And crime, thankfully, was actually kept to a minimum...perhaps a bit busier than normal, but no massive looting or activity.

Several fires though due to candles. People just don't think sometimes.

So...if you were affected, how did you cope/are you coping?

A

Aaron Lupo

I live in Central NY and they only thing I lost was cable, did it affect me, yes I wasn't able to watch my Yankees! :biglaugh:

Now where I work we lost one piece of equipment it fried when the power came back on. We had numerous tests that went outside of the specifications and will need to look at each of them to see what the impact was if any. Now, I know people here have been begging for a generator but Management has scoffed at it, (oh it cost too much, we never lose power etc..), well in the almost 4 years I have been here they have lost power several times, each time more costly than the other. Will they change their mind now I doubt it.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
We saw no effects here in the Chicago area. But I must say I was very impressed by how the masses handled the situation.

I am so glad to see the human race behave humanely. Renews my faith in mankind!

My prayers to all that have been affected.

CarolX

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
ISO GUY said:
I live in Central NY and they only thing I lost was cable, did it affect me, yes I wasn't able to watch my Yankees! :biglaugh:

Now where I work we lost one piece of equipment it fried when the power came back on. We had numerous tests that went outside of the specifications and will need to look at each of them to see what the impact was if any. Now, I know people here have been begging for a generator but Management has scoffed at it, (oh it cost too much, we never lose power etc..), well in the almost 4 years I have been here they have lost power several times, each time more costly than the other. Will they change their mind now I doubt it.

I know that the Toronto Argonauts (CFL) game was cancelled due something about a lack of power.

Thankfully (???), we've become rather adept at blackouts, brownouts, power surges, inclement weather and our substation routine is fined tuned. For the third power outage in a row, we have not blown our phone system! Our servers are up and running. All equipment appears to be working at optimum levels.

Unfortunately, the true test will come when we can start up the furnaces again. One of the furnaces however, requires 24 hours to warm up and we're on shut-down right now. If power is not fully restored to the grid by 1600, our shut down schedule will be thrown into a bit of chaos.

My main concern is if the water is shut off like they're planning. We have filtered water at the coolers, so the supply is not my worry. It's the bathrooms. Thankfully, the front office is one a separate water supply so we should be able to use those ones.

AC has been turned off and the Engineering office is beginning to get a little sticky.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
CarolX said:
We saw no effects here in the Chicago area. But I must say I was very impressed by how the masses handled the situation.

And this just proves how inconsistent news can be. I heard Chicago WAS affected. Not all of it, but parts.

I, too, was impressed. People helping people. No mass panic, although I hear there was some in NY for a little bit as reminders of September 11 flashed through the minds of people. Even in Toronto, no one wanted to be in the high-rise buildings. But people exited the buildings in an orderly fashion.

E

energy

A little bit

RCBeyette said:
So...if you were affected, how did you cope/are you coping?

Since my last post on this in the worm thread, we experienced 3 episodes of total blackness lasting no more than 5 minutes (the longest). The numbers in this state went from about 56K at 3 PM to 150K by late evening. Number is back down with full restoration of power expected to be complete by noon, today. Sure.

I heard the "Blame Game" being played out this morning on the news. Your PM says it was a lightening strike in the US side near the Niagra Falls and the US says there is no doubt it originated in Canada. Why did you do that? :vfunny:

V

vpickell

Thankfully, my home or office only lost power for seconds. As, we usually lose power everytime the wind blows. Although towns around 25 miles away are without power.
Since we don't know the direct cause as of yet, it still seems that there is a big problem, that a massive systems failure could occur so widespread. I felt bad for the New Yorker's, could only imagine the first reaction of terror, that some must of felt.
The news implied this morning that finger pointing was starting between Canada (our great neighbors to the North) and the US. Please........work together, figure it out, improve it.
Good luck to all, and lets all pray that everyone is restored soon, and until then that we all try to be good neighbors.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
energy said:
Since my last post on this in the worm thread, we experienced 3 episodes of total blackness lasting no more than 5 minutes (the longest). The numbers in this state went from about 56K at 3 PM to 150K by late evening. Number is back down with full restoration of power expected to be complete by noon, today. Sure.

I heard the "Blame Game" being played out this morning on the news. Your PM says it was a lightening strike in the US side near the Niagra Falls and the US says there is no doubt it originated in Canada. Why did you do that? :vfunny:

Yup...you figured it out, Energy! We finally got tired of our neighbours to the south and pulled the plug! You know, this would be sooooo interesting if it's connected to the Worm...not going to happen, but still an interesting theory.

Last I heard, our PM was retracting the comment about lightening, but still holding true to it being on the US side of Niagara Falls. The reason some people thought that perhaps it was in Ottawa, was a misunderstanding. I've also heard that a generator in Pennsylvannia is being investigated and it's a place that sounds like Ottawa.

Of course, just jumped off of Yahoo and they're reporting that now Ohio is being investigated.

I understand the need to know the source and cause, but that doesn't stop me from wanting things back to normal as soon as possible.

Some places may go without power all weekend and it's supposed to be a scorcher! I may head off to my parents. I have power at my place, but I don't want to run the ac in an effort to conserve. My parents don't have power, but with all those trees and a breeze off of the pond, it's rather cool there.

A

Aaron Lupo

I heard it originated in NYC and was due to antiquated equipment.

E

energy

Now that I can believe

RCBeyette said:
Of course, just jumped off of Yahoo and they're reporting that now Ohio is being investigated.

That has to be it. :vfunny: Probably somewhere around West Chester. ;)

Top Bottom