Dielectric strength test as per IEC 60601-1 -Infant incubator

hi
we got an infant incubator for safety testing as per IEC 60601-1. I am new to the testing field. So after reading the standard (which are a little bit difficult for me to interpret )and some old reports, I made these points on which HV test should be done.
1. between Line neutral shorted and earth​
2. between line neutral shorted and the display panel (using metal foil)​
3. between line neutral shorted and the applied part ( which is infant temperature sensor)​
4. between line neutral shorted and the metallic enclosure.​
the incubator has SMPS which is an approved component.

Please check if I am doing it right or if I missed anything.

also, while reading other threads on this topic, people are suggesting not to do HV test on an assembled device(it is a class I device), then how should I do testing?
it will be very helpful to me in understanding things.

PS: The insulation diagram given by the manufacturer is attached.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Sounds wrong, sorry!

Dielectric strength is a test for solid insulation. In practical form it exists in parts like capacitors, optocouplers, transformers, wiring.

Before performing the test, you should know exactly where the insulation is based on inspection. It's a good idea to make a list of all the insulating parts for each insulation barrier as a supplement to the insulation diagram. For example, in the diagram provided, insulation "a" is between mains and earth. You should be able to inspect the device and list all the physical components that make up this barrier. For an infant incubator, this is very difficult (maybe, one of the most difficult) but in fact that makes it all the more important.

If the parts are certified and used within specification, you don't actually need to do a HV test (dielectric strength). However, this is not widely understood and it is generally expected to have some tests in a report. Even so it's good to keep this in mind especially as some parts are difficult to test in the final product.

In principle, tests should be performed on the individual parts.

Even so, as a general rule the 1.5kV tests (for 230V rating) can be done on an assembled device. In truth such tests do not necessarily stress the insulation that might be identified. For example, mains wiring is often used which has a solid insulation. But, in test sample of the final product, the particular wiring may be sitting in air, and not in contact with earth metal. So, it won't get tested in an assembled device. Another example may be parts of the circuit that are not connected due to switching or relays. Personally, I don't care about these situations, it is more important (and correct) to confirm that the wiring or parts are certified than to worry about the tests in an assembled device.

As a general rule, 4kV tests can not (and should not) be done in an assembled device. There are high risks of damaging parts that are not intended to provide 4kV and it's also likely that the real insulation does not get tested. The 4kV test should only be done on the part itself, disassembled from the device, or better still waived (not done) based on component certification (e.g. certified power supply).

For an infant incubator, there are two typically problematic areas:
- the heater itself, which is usually custom made and hence has no certifications, and also contains powder insulation which needs to be sealed against moisture. You will need to study the design, do full testing including the humidity pre-conditioning.
- internal connectors and wiring which route through to the heater and lamps, make sure double insulation is provided to any unearthed parts (including secondary wiring), using for example sleeving, and connectors have appropriate spacing if the connector has mains and other parts such as earthing or secondary circuits.

Infant incubators are really tough but it just needs to be approached systematically, break it down and make a one page assessment for each area, listing the parts, certifications, spacings etc. If you can't inspect the part, ask the manufacturer for additional samples and also drawings.

hi, I couldn't reply to you earlier due to sudden lockdown. first of all, thank you so much for explaining in so detailed manner. I hope standards are also written in such understandable language.
I just have one doubt, we got two models of the infant warmer. My superior is doing the 4 kV test on the assembled product itself saying it is as per his understanding. Point is, one model is getting passed while another is getting failed both on DC as well as AC. I couldn't convince my superior regarding not doing this 4 kV test on assembled product. What should I do?

you suggested to disassembled the part(patient connection) and perform the test on the part itself. Can you elaborate on this process? it will be a great help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A IEC 60601-1 Dielectric Strength test for battery operated devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Operator protection - When to apply table 7, Dielectric strength test voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B Standard for Dielectric Strength Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E IEC 61010-1 Dielectric strength test of inner power supply Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S IEC 60601-1 Electrical safety testing - Dielectric Strength Test - 8.8.3 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Leakage Current test and Dielectric strength for Battery operated ECG device? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
C INMETRO 350 Dielectric Strength Test to IEC 60601-1 clauses 18, 19 and 20 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
B IEC 61010-1 - Voltage / Dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
O Is it mandatory for Medical Devices to work properly after dielectric strength tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M HF/RF Generator for dielectric strength IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Dielectric Strength of Electroshock - IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
P Humidity Pre-Conditioning before leakage current and dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
S Input to Ouput Dielectric Strength PSU IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Issues with Dielectric Strength Testing - IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
R Current Limit in IEC 60601 Dielectric Strength Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Dielectric Strength of Triple Insulated Wire to comply with 2MOPP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A Internally Powered Medical Device and Dielectric Strength IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 17
E Routine production tests - dielectric voltage withstand test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
T Tests IEC 60601-1 - Grounding Resistance, Leakage Current and Dielectric Rigidity in an automated way IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B Dielectric Test of Battery Powered Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Transformer Compliance Testing, overheat then humidity treat, then dielectric test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Dielectric Test for Ambulatory ECG Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
I Dielectric Test for HF Surgical Equipment (IEC 60601-2-2 clause 201.8.5.1.2) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
D IEC 60601-2-37 - No Dielectric testing specifications? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
P Average Peel Strength - Interpretation of BS EN 868-5:2018 and ASTM F0088/F0088M Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Testing Tensile Strength of Materials AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P Test Method Validation for Tensile Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Tensile Strength Testing of Rubber Underwear Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D What is your Sterile Medical Device Pouch Peel Strength Spec? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
N Strength verification of surgical instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
D Hot Plate Welded Plastic Strength Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
triathlonx13 Rubber - Tear and Adhesion Strength Peel Cross Head Speed Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
R How to Inspect the Weld Strength of High Pressure Vessel & Oil Pipe Line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E Laser Marking effects on the Fatigue Strength of Alloys CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
B Management Tool - Does each of them have their STRENGTH and WEAKNESSES? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
A Sample Size Selection for Peel Strength for Variable Data using a 95%/99% Confidence Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
7 Data Analysis of Tensile Strength Test - Graphical Presentation of Results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
B Laser Weld Strength - Laser Welding Medical Instruments Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
G Tensile Strength Distribution - Why a Weibull distribution is used? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
J Flexural Strength Testing - Analytical Laboratory recommendations for Testing Alumina Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
7 SPC Monitoring for Pouches Manufactured Last Year - Tensile Strength Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M HSLA100 (High Strength Low Alloy Steel) Welding Procedure and Consumables Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D ESD Quantification - Standalone instrument that can log ESD field strength ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N ISO 34: Rubber, vulcanized or thermoplastic - Determination of tear strength Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Testing the Durability and Strength of Copper Wire Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M ASTM F88 Standard Test Method for Seal Strength - Designation F88-09/M88-09 ver 15.1 Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
Q COAs for 21 CFR 111 - Identity, Purity, Strength - Dietary Supplement Industry US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4