Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Difference between 7.4.1 & 7.4.3 - Purchasing Requirements

SpartanBio

Involved In Discussions
I am wondering what is the difference between;

7.4.1 - The organization shall establish documented procedures to ensure that purchased product conforms to specified purchase requirements and

7.4.3 - The organization shall establish and implement the inspection or other activities necessary for ensuring that purchased product meets specified purchase requirements.

They seem very similar to me.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: Difference between 7.4.1 & 7.4.3

They are similar. The element group 7.4 outlines the requirements for purchased product. they do so in cascading fashion. 7.4.1 says there will be a procedure. That is, the methods will be standardized and defined in a document. 7.4.3 says that there will be inspection involved, or other activities to ensure the purchased product is what you need.

To put it another way, 7.4.1 says you will document your process. 7.4.3 directs you to include inspection or other verification activities within the documented process called for in 7.4.1.

P

pldey42

I would use these clauses very differently. For me they aren't the same, although I agree with Jennifer that to some extent, 7.4.1 is a summary of the whole purchasing process. (When will ISO learn to structure standards properly?!)

I would focus my 7.4.1 activities on assuring that requirements for purchased product are documented, complete and correct according to 7.4.2. But the significant difference between 7.4.1 and 7.4.3 is that 7.4.1 also calls for procedures for evaluating and selecting suppliers, which for me is critical: you can't inspect or test quality into products delivered by an incompetent supplier.

My 7.4.3 activities would be concerned with evaluating product that has been purchased, with inspections or tests as appropriate, to see that the previously documented requirements were met. Should significant problems occur I'd trigger re-evaluation of the supplier concerned.

Hope this helps
Pat

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

SpartanBio,

By developing your suppliers (using excellent criteria for their selection and re-selection) you should reduce the costs of appraisal.

In other words, invest in 7.4.1 to reduce the cost of 7.4.3.

John

M

MichelleMcR

We use 7.4.1 to govern suppliers as the others have said. This includes requirements for placement on our approved suppliers list, and contains our process map for the actual actions of purchasing product from vendors.

On the other hand, 7.4.3 governs receiving and in-coming inspection. Yes, we ordered from an approved supplier, but the process of 7.4.3 defines what steps are taken for which products and whether 100% inspection or just a sampling inspection of incoming product is required.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am wondering what is the difference between;

7.4.1 - The organization shall establish documented procedures to ensure that purchased product conforms to specified purchase requirements and

7.4.3 - The organization shall establish and implement the inspection or other activities necessary for ensuring that purchased product meets specified purchase requirements.

They seem very similar to me.
7.4.1 - The organization shall evaluate suppliers based on their ability to supply products. The TS16949 standard did not say to DOCUMENT a procedure. (This is an SOP)

7.4.3 - Incoming inspection to establish and implement. You can have a checklist or anything.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Cl 7.4.1 deals with planning and defining the process so it will meet requirements.

Cl 7.4.3 deals with actually checking incoming product in some suitable way to verify it actually DID meet the requirements.

Top Bottom