Difference between a Device and Equipment - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6

A

Ajayqms

Dear All,

Bleated Happy Chritsmas to all of my friends.

I have a little doubt relating to clause 7.6 of ISO 9001:2000.:bonk:
But before really jumping to doubt, I would request all to send their views on following:

What is the difference between a device and equipment, with respect to clause 7.6 and 7.5.1 of ISO 9001:2000.

As in clause 7.6 first two lines says I have to determine a correct/adequate device for measurement, however in same clause where the requirement of calibration, treacability, adjustment/readjustment is given, the standard says about equipment and not device.

Further if we read the controlled conditions in caluse 7.5.1, it says about different things including a equipment and device, both in seperate lines.

I hope i am clear with my first doubt.

Regards

Ajay:biglaugh:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Clause 7.6

Dear All,

Bleated Happy Chritsmas to all of my friends.

I have a little doubt relating to clause 7.6 of ISO 9001:2000.:bonk:
But before really jumping to doubt, I would request all to send their views on following:

What is the difference between a device and equipment, with respect to clause 7.6 and 7.5.1 of ISO 9001:2000.

As in clause 7.6 first two lines says I have to determine a correct/adequate device for measurement, however in same clause where the requirement of calibration, treacability, adjustment/readjustment is given, the standard says about equipment and not device.

Further if we read the controlled conditions in caluse 7.5.1, it says about different things including a equipment and device, both in seperate lines.

Regards

"Equipment" is used as a collective noun that is inclusive of one or more devices. In other words, a group of devices may be referred to collectively as "equipment."

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Hello Ajay,

As Jim Wynne already pointed out, there is no difference between the terms "device" and "equipment." The context determines really what we're talking about.

Again, no difference. In fact the new (Draft) ISO/DIS 9001 standard eliminates the confusion between equipment and device. In the new standard, Clause 7.6, only the term "equipment" is used.

Again, no difference. In the new standard, Clause 7.5.1, only the term "equipment" is used.

Regards

I hope you are now "in the clear" and we removed all doubt. :D

Happy New Year!

Stijloor.

D

Duke Okes

The thought of the writers of the standard may have been to clarify that both measurement devices (e.g., inspection devices such as micrometers, pH meters, etc.) and process control equipment (e.g., heat treat oven instrumentation, CNC encoders, etc.) need to be calibrated.

One (device) is used to measure the quality of the product, the other (equipment) to control a machine that produces the product. However, as others have said, for all intents & purposes in 7.6 the two terms are interchangeable.

The organization should identify things they use that measure something that is important to quality, and make sure that the measurements are accurate and precise. Calibration is one of the processes used to accomplish this.

Unfortunately one of the problems in the QMS field is that the auditors are often not well calibrated themselves. They are measuring compliance of the organization to a standard, but often do not interpret the standard consistently.

A

Ajayqms

Thanks for reply, can you clear as an auditor what should be calibrated and what should not in below mentioned situation?;)

I am running an organisation which is involved in coal mining. Now in order to run my mine perfectly.
1. I need to have a very good workshop for maintenance of HEMM, and I am using a Torque Wrench, and other few instruments to ensure proper maintenance.
2. I am having an electric sub-station, where I use Megger to measure earth pit resistance, an ampere meter to monitor current.

Now they are not anywhere connected with quality of my coal directly.

Kindly let me know, as an auditor the above said instruments and like wise others are required to be calibrated.

Ajay:bonk:

D

Duke Okes

1. I need to have a very good workshop for maintenance of HEMM, and I am using a Torque Wrench, and other few instruments to ensure proper maintenance.
2. I am having an electric sub-station, where I use Megger to measure earth pit resistance, an ampere meter to monitor current.
Now they are not anywhere connected with quality of my coal directly.
Kindly let me know, as an auditor the above said instruments and like wise others are required to be calibrated.Ajay:bonk:

Based on my interpretation (which is always at risk with such limited information) I would say that from a QUALITY standpoint (e.g., ISO 9001 registration) you could probably justify not calibrating either. However, from a SAFETY standpoint the torque wrench might be critical in making sure that equipment is properly maintained and will not harm someone. Calibration of the Megger device might impact yield/cost/productivity of the mining process, so if it is important in those regards perhaps you should calibrate it.

So whether or not it should be calibrated really has two questions:
- Is it required according to whatever standards I'm working to?
- Is it a good business decision to do it based on other impacts it might have?

One of the things we must always remember is that we are running a business, not just a quality management system.

A

Ajayqms

As a client, if i am not ready to get the instruments calibrated which are used for my support services and are not directly linked with my product, we should accept the reply.

Ajay

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
As a client, if i am not ready to get the instruments calibrated which are used for my support services and are not directly linked with my product, we should accept the reply.

Ajay

Ajay,

Keep in mind though that ISO 9001:2000, clause 7.5.1 c) requires the use of "suitable equipment." Whether you call that preventive maintenance, periodic check & adjustment, verification or otherwise is your choice. So you must ensure "suitable equipment." You decide how you are going to accomplish this.

Stijloor.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Ajay

You started a thread with exactly the same title in October. In both threads, the discussion (from you) seems to veer of to calibration - whether instruments used for support services need to be calibrated. If that is what you want to discuss, start a thread on it and you may get some fresh ideas. Otherwise, the difference between a device and an equipment seems to have been adequately answered.

Y

ywang

The thought of the writers of the standard may have been to clarify that both measurement devices (e.g., inspection devices such as micrometers, pH meters, etc.) and process control equipment (e.g., heat treat oven instrumentation, CNC encoders, etc.) need to be calibrated.

One (device) is used to measure the quality of the product, the other (equipment) to control a machine that produces the product. However, as others have said, for all intents & purposes in 7.6 the two terms are interchangeable.

The organization should identify things they use that measure something that is important to quality, and make sure that the measurements are accurate and precise. Calibration is one of the processes used to accomplish this.

Unfortunately one of the problems in the QMS field is that the auditors are often not well calibrated themselves. They are measuring compliance of the organization to a standard, but often do not interpret the standard consistently.

What's the Gold Standard for ISO9001 and how much would that cost? :truce:

Top Bottom