Difference between major, Minor, finding and Observation in relation to a CAR

A

Alan F

Just like to say hi to everyone, have just found this site and its interesting. I have been trying to find out the reference that states the difference between major, Minor, finding and Observation in relation to a CAR. I found a presentation on this website that explains it, but need a definitive reference to try and stop a bit of petty squabbling.Thanks

Hello Alan, and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:
Alan F said:
I found a presentation on this website that explains it, but need a definitive reference to try and stop a bit of petty squabbling.Thanks
Ah, yes. We have discussed both the definitions and the petty squabbling caused by them before.

I suggest a look in the following old threads for starters (I searched for major, minor & definition):

Internal Audit Findings - Major vs. Minor Finding - Defining the differences
Minor N/C's turning into a Major
Definition and Differences: Internal Audit Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding)
Difference and Definition: Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding)

I hope that helps a bit? Of course, the best way to avoid the squabbling is to skip the major vs. minor bit and just stick to one type of finding.

/Claes

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Yes. Welcome to the Cove.:bigwave:
When you find the time, please tell us more about yourself and learn more about some of the other folks here by going to this thread
New Folks - Take a Minute and Introduce Yourself!

In my opinion, The folks who wrote the QS9000 manual had some good definitions for major and minor, but I don't recall whether they addressed finding and Observation.

Ultimately, if you are talking about dealing with a customer in a CAR, these definitions should be covered by strict wording in the contract (part of Contract Review) unless both parties agree to a 3rd party definition, which amounts to the same thing as spelling it out in the contract.

C

cncmarine

Wes, good points about the QS 9000 major / minor definitions. I agree.

FYI, The old term “observation” is being replaced by OFI. (Opportunity for Improvement”. I’m sure that some registrars still use the term “observation” but its real tough to define what it is.

If a observation leans towards being a finding…then it’s a minor/maj

A

Alan F

Thanks to you all

Thanks for all the replies, lots to take on board and decisions to make on wether we just change to have a "non-conformance" or wether to have the different types.

B

BigPaul

KISS definitions

Have the wheels fallen off the bus? ~ Its a major
Has the bus run out of petrol? ~ Its a minor
Would you like a bus route? ~ Thats an observation
Should they upgrade the bus to show digital displays ~ thats an observation.

Simplifying still further
Flagrant ~ Major
Whoops ~ Minor
Wibni (wouldn't it be nice if .. ) ~ Obs
Did you know, they do it this way ~ Obs.

Regards Paul

S

surendro - 2009

I think Paul has just made plain and simple. I fully agree with his observation.

Surendro :applause: :applause:

Top Bottom