Difference between Trademark and Registered Mark?

A

abcauto

Dear all,

please tell me what is the diff between trademark and register mark?which should be use on product? Detail on both.

:agree:
Regard's
Anand

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Re: Differance between Trademark and Registered Mark?

Wikipedia says, A trademark or trade mark[1] is a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization, or other legal entity to identify that the products or services to consumers with which the trademark appears originate from a unique source, and to distinguish its products or services from those of other entities.

While Registered Trade Mark is a symbol used to provide notice that the preceding mark is a trademark or service mark that has been registered with a national trademark office.

One of the best websites for related topics is USPTO

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Hi

I believe to legally use a Registered Trademark symbol in a country, it has to be registered in that country (not just any country).

A normal TM symbol does not need to be registered and offers much less protection.

Chris

A

abcauto

Is renewal for tradmark is required ? Period for the same.

Regards
Anand

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Is renewal for tradmark is required ? Period for the same.

Regards
Anand
When you register your Trademark, all details pertaining to registration and continued validity will be explained to you. If your Trademark is not registered, you cannot take a legal action on an other individual or company if they use the Trademark that you use or something close to it.

B

bdetchevery

Re: Differance between Trademark and Registered Mark?

A couple of years back, my company had some copyright/trademark/patent consultants in to do a course to our R&D team.

We were told this.

"TM" is "Trade Mark Pending" (somewhat like 'Patent Pending'). You have applied for a registered trade mark, but the application has not yet been processed. It's like telling people (please don't apply for this same trademark, as ours is in the queue already)

Once approved, you can change your "TM" to the (r) logo indiciating you know have a registered trade mark on that item.

You can actually take legal action for a "TM" because it provides evidence that you began the process of getting the registration. So disputes can be determined based on he time, and location when/where the registration occured.

Well that's what i was taught for what it's worth. I have since seen lots of companies just stick 'TM" on things without ever actually applying for registration.

Top Bottom