Differences between Machine Capability and Product Capability studies

M

Mumus

Hi All,

I'm a bit confused....
One of our customers are asking us to do a Machine Capability study !!!
And I asked if they reffer to Cpk capability study (on product) and said NO.

Can somebody explain the differences between Machine capability and Product capability studies and how to perform (machine one) ?

Thanks a lot...:notme:

M.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Machine Capability ?

I would guess that they want to know the output of the machines in question.
i.e. cycle times,
production numbers per shift/day/week, etc.
maybe changeover time
perhaps standard scrap rate, especially if the customer is providing raw materials (in contract packaging we always had to account for every drop of product including that left in the lines after a production run)

M

Mumus

Re: Machine Capability ?

Discordian said:
I would guess that they want to know the output of the machines in question.
i.e. cycle times,
production numbers per shift/day/week, etc.
maybe changeover time
perhaps standard scrap rate, especially if the customer is providing raw materials (in contract packaging we always had to account for every drop of product including that left in the lines after a production run)
They also mentioned that they would expect nothing less than 1.33...which is for Cpk as far as I know.
I'm confused :(

Mumus said:
Can somebody explain the differences between Machine capability and Product capability studies and how to perform (machine one)
They are probably asking for Cmk, which is calculated in the same way as Cpk. The difference is that the data comes from a special study aiming to exclude variation caused by anything but the machine (You use the same operator, material from the same batch, unchanged setup, and so on).

Have a look at Machine Capability vs Process Capability

/Claes

P

pavankumar

I am presently doing masters in industrial engg. and presently got a doubt with my project. I am taking into consideration of two machines one of which is a traditional lathe and other being a cnc m/c. I would like to develop a sampling plan. Is there a realtion between sampling size and machine capability and also does machine capablity infuence the sampling size. if so how. . also based on defects how is machine capablity calculated???

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I am presently doing masters in industrial engg. and presently got a doubt with my project. I am taking into consideration of two machines one of which is a traditional lathe and other being a cnc m/c. I would like to develop a sampling plan. Is there a realtion between sampling size and machine capability and also does machine capablity infuence the sampling size. if so how. .
Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

If you're trying to empirically determine whether to use a simple lathe or a CNC machine, the initial sampling must be the same for both. Once you know something about the variation induced by each process, you can make a decision on which machine to use (which, by the way, involves other factors, such as costs of operation). In other words, you have to know something about machine capability before you arrive at a production sampling plan. If you run the same job on two machines with different inherent capabilities, sampling might have to be more frequent on the less capable machine. How much more frequent is function of your knowledge of the variability, and there is no single formula for deciding when and how to sample.

also based on defects how is machine capablity calculated???
Have a look further up the thread for some links, and at the bottom of this page for links to similar threads.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I am presently doing masters in industrial eng. and presently got a doubt with my project. I am taking into consideration of two machines one of which is a traditional lathe and other being a cnc m/c. I would like to develop a sampling plan. Is there a relation between sampling size and machine capability and also does machine capability influence the sampling size. if so how. . also based on defects how is machine capability calculated???
First of all, it is important to determine your distribution. In precision machining, the variations experienced should all be controlled to a statistically insignificant level except for tool wear. That means you GR&R is less than 10% of your control limits (yes, control limits!), etc. If this is the case, then you are truly doing "precision machining" and your distribution is a uniform or rectangular distribution. To determine the long term sampling plan, you should perform a capability study of approximately 100 pcs in a row, in order!. If you are doing an OD, the OD should increase over time as the tool wears. You should set up control limits of 75% of the specification. As the dimension reaches the control limit, adjust down to the lower control limit and allow to resume increasing to the upper control limit. With a uniform distribution, the "mean" has no practical value for evaluating the process. To determine the sampling frequency, you need to divide the time or number of parts required to go from the lower control limit to the upper control limit, and divide by 5. As far as sampling number, you only need to sample 1 part per increment. Why? Because in precision machining there is so little difference between consecutive parts that it is a waste of time. You should spend more time measuring that one part, getting the highest and lowest diameter and plotting a X hi/lo-R chart. Then, you are actually controlling the GD&T parameters of a circular characteristics. Xbar-R chart is the worst possible chart for this distribution - it simply encourages overcontrol.

Also for precision machining, (uniform distribution) the capability is calculated as (USL-LSL)/(UCL-LCL) Note that it is a constant, because (UCL-LCL)=.75(USL-LSL) from using control limits set at 75% of the specification.

For more details on this see thread
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=20935

HOWEVER - for a "traditional lathe" (if it is one that the operator moves the tool by hand), it may not fall into the category of "precision machining", and could very well be a normal distribution. When operators become the key variation of the process, it tends to have a more "natural variation" and fall within normal distribution, especially if they are doing the "backyard garage style control" of "running to the mean" to control their dimensions. :cool:

Last edited:

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

I'm a bit confused....
One of our customers are asking us to do a Machine Capability study !!!
And I asked if they refer to Cpk capability study (on product) and said NO.

Can somebody explain the differences between Machine capability and Product capability studies and how to perform (machine one) ?

Thanks a lot...:notme:

M.

My understanding of this issue (and this is for discussion, not a final answer!;)), is the difference between machine capability and product capability is the key term of "specification". Product capability is the product specification divided by the process performance. Machine capability should therefore be the machine specification (as provided by the manufacturer) versus the process performance. The hard part is figuring out the machine specification, especially on a 50 year old ACME Screw machine. And, what about in-house improvements to the machine? Do they count? Good question for your SQE.... :cool:

Your customer is looking for evidence that you are using the right machine for the job. Can you prove it? Do you have this information PRIOR to picking that machine for the job during the quoting processs? They want you to ponder this because they have been burned time and time again by suppliers that quote on a part, then take 3 months trying to get an incapable machine (because that's all they have or can afford) to make the part, only to fail miserably and put projects months behind schedule. Ouch - customers hate that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B For professionals from an amateur: What are the differences between some plans and procedures? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
U How to pick between ANSI Z1.4 vs. ISO2859-1 for AQL Inspection? What are the major differences? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
N R&R for Differences between 2 measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
DuncanGibbons Clear differences between ISO 13485 and AS 9100D requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
K Differences between Manufacturing Process Audit & Layered Process Audit Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
S Differences in CB expectations between the US and Europe Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M What are the differences between "Process Flowchart form" and "Process Flow Diagram form"? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Differences between EN ISO 11607-1:2009 vs. 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M What are the differences between TIR 13004:2013 and TIR 33? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
H Differences between CQI 15 and CQI 17 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A ISO 13485:2003 vs ISO 13485:2016 - What are the differences between the two? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Differences between IATF 16949 and AS9100 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
T PPAP differences between TS16949 and VDA APQP and PPAP 1
E Differences between IEC 60601-1-11:2015 and 2010 Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
J Differences between a Risk Management Plan vs. Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Y Differences between the Classic 7 QC Tools and New QC Tools Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
C Differences between IATF 16949:2016 vs ISO/TS 16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
L Differences in the requirements between IEC 60601-1 3rd ed. and EN 60601-1:2006 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
Q What are the differences between ISO 13485 vs. AS9100C ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L AQL ANSI z1.4 & z1.9 - What are the differences between these 2 standards? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
V Differences between ISO 13485 & FDA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Q Differences between Clauses 7.5, 8.2.3 and 8.2.4 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V Statistics - Designs - Differences between Orthogonality and Confounding Using Minitab Software 5
K Differences between ISO 9001 and API Q1. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Differences between international and regional standards (EN, AAMI, CSA...) Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
S What are the differences between Traditional 510(k) and a PMA to meet 21 CFR 814.20 ? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
O Differences between EN 61326-1:2006 and EN 61326-1:2013 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
K The differences between ISO 9001 vs a QMS (Quality Management System) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Y Differences between Top Management, Management & Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W Differences between VDA 6.3 and ISO 9001 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
G Differences between Quality Objectives and Business KPI's ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P Differences between an NCR and CAR Internal Auditing 35
M Differences between High, Medium, Low Risk Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
G Differences between Design, Development, and Production Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
C Differences between ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Differences between Conductive vs. Dissipative ESD Flooring Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Quality Management Systems - Differences between ISO 13485, 21 CFR Part 820 & ICH Q10 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
D Differences between (c)GMP for Drugs and Medical Devices Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
A EN 60601-2-51 - Differences between the 2003 and the 2005 edition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C What are the differences between Medical and Non Medical Grade Adhesives 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Differences between Business Process Reengineering (BPR) and Total Quality Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
V Differences between Quality Tools and Quality Concepts? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
G What are the differences between US and EU Pharmacopeias? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 11
N Differences between a Safety Nonconformance and a Quality Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
F Differences between ISO 9001 and ISO 9004 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Defining the differences between Prototype vs. Production Guidelines? Contract Review Process 5
S Differences between the SAE AS9100C and BS EN AS 9100:2009 versions of the standard AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
V Similarities and Differences between EU & US GMPs (Good Manufacturng Processes) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Definition Servicing circuit boards - Differences between Rework and Repair Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9