harry

Trusted Information Resource
Could anyone out there tell me the difference between the following:
  1. quality manual
  2. food safety manual
  3. policy manual:(
Kobe

Welcome to the Cove.

Traditionally, a quality manual is a document that describes the elements of the quality system that are used to ensure that customer requirements, needs and expectations are met.
It includes or it refers to all those documents (policies, plans, procedures, instructions, etc.) that affect the quality of the product (or service) and provides the structure into which the other documents can then be placed.
It is normally structured into 3 or 4 levels with the policies on top followed by the procedures and then the instructions and others. The top level is for policies and may be a separate document which some termed as ‘Policy Manual’.

FSMS (food safety management system) Manuals are normally structured in a similar fashion. The difference is that it describes Food Safety Management System (such as ISO 22000) instead. Manuals may not be a requirement for some systems but is something useful especially for those who are new.

K

Kobson

Harry

Thanks for the information. You see what confuses me is that the content of the three documents seems the same, and SQF 2000 requires that an organization shall have the three documents. Isn't that duplication?

Kobson

harry

................ and SQF 2000 requires that an organization shall have the three documents. Isn't that duplication?

Kobson

I must admit that I had never dealt with documentation for SQF 2000 because it is not popular in my place. But I find such requirements hard to accept. A quality management system has nothing to do with food.

I am not sure where you get the information from, perhaps it refers to 6 basic and compulsory procedures of ISO 9001 - but they can be incorporated together into a manual together with the FSMS requirements (just like ISO 22000). As for the policies and as I mentioned earlier, they can be seperated or together.

Generally, the auditors are interested in whether you identified and implemented what is required and have them documented, managed and monitored. How the documents are structured is up to the user.

Do use have this: SQF Brief Guide

T

tsmith7858

I don't deal with SQF either but I do have an integrated manual for my ISO 9001 and ISO 22000. The only major difference between the two is section 7 and the fact that 9001 focuses on Quality and 22000 focuses on Food Safety.

I would agree that it seems like redundances to have all 3 when you could incorporate it into one but again, I have not used SQF.

S

SRacer

I came to the forum with the same question and concern. Why create 3 seperate documents when there is so much duplication. I also wonder what the difference between a "Food Safety Plan" and a HACCP Plan is?

I currently have a quality manual that encompasses both food safety and food quality. I also have seperate HACCP plans for each process, and a Food Defense plan that was based on a threat assessment. I beleive that I am covering all the SQF requirements (new to me too). I don't see the value in seperating my quality manual out into 2 or 3 redeundant documents only to satisfy a 3rd party auditor. But I do know that many take the Standard very literal and may dislike the fact that I have 1 manual vs 2 or 3.

harry

If you look at the SQF guide in post #4, you will find that certification is normally done progressively from level 1, 2 then 3. You need a manual for level 1, then another for level 2 because you are dealing with different issues (level 1 - food safety fundamentals, level 2 - HACCP food safety plans). When you reached level 3, you should be able to integrate them all into a complete system and with one manual.

Having said that, there should be nothing to stop an organization which is ready to seek certification straight-away for level 3.

Last edited:
S

SRacer

Thank you Harry,

I am aware of the progression. The company I work for now has an existing quality system, but is just now seeking SQF certification (level 2). Because the manual already addresses food quality as well as food safety, I didn't want to seperate, but prefer to keep the same. I think I should be able to.

C

Citizen Kane

In one of our consulted companies we also integrated this 2 - and I think is a good approach to have them both implemented together. Saves time and everybody focuses together and only one "audit rush" :)

P

prabhatchaddha

FSMS is required by the companies who are directly in business of food or indirectly( like packaging for food).This can be taken by an agriculture industry to the final consumption level.Iso 9001 can be taken by any industry irrespective of the business they are in. I am attaching a hyperlink which highlights the difference hope this helps

http://foodsqm.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/comparison_of_iso_9001_and_iso_22000.pdf

Regards

Prabhat Chaddha

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom